Opinions Plz? Regut AODE w/Shift kit & Stall TC or T-5 Conversion? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 12-22-2010, 10:50 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Hawaii
Opinions Plz? Regut AODE w/Shift kit & Stall TC or T-5 Conversion?

Hello all members of M.E. I am interested in ur Facts & Opinions before I make a major financial decision as a percentage of you may be longtime veterans.Despite
the future mods upfront U/H & paint,Would you spend the
extra time and money in to regutting the stock AODE auto
trans.using a shift improver kit w/a 2300-2800rpm stall TC
or converting to a Tremec T-5 tranny and clutch pedal, cable & quadrant setup? Which is worth it? If I should go w/T-5 setup what necessary steps/parts would have to executed to get this done? Will there be any TCM issues perhaps reflashing ECM or sensor to computer correlation
relearn? Is clutch over ride safety switch a must? Any and
all advice appreciated and welcome! Mahalo & Be safe this holiday season all plz arrive alive we all wanna see u inn 2011 here on M.E.! Dean
Blustreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-22-2010, 01:29 PM   #2
Road Trip!

Region: Kentucky
Re: Opinions Plz? Regut AODE w/Shift kit & Stall TC or T-5 Conversion?

Well Dean, its like this its your car you decide if you want it auto or standard. If you go the route of t-5 the you need the tranny wire harness so you still have backup lights, you will need a flywheel, clutch/pressure plate, clutch quadrant, pedals, cable and maybe driveshaft and crossmember. You do not need a new computer or tune. Even the standard shift computers have the program for the auto tranny, thats where ford tries to get people to spend more money because they make you think you need a new ecm.
Straublittleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 05:18 PM   #3
Titus Wadicus
Regular

Region: Ohio
Send a message via Yahoo to svtlx

if u want a t-5, u can have my whole set-up outa my 96. im converting to an auto. also, if your goin the route of an auto..i would do an aod as opposed to an aod(e). i got a 700hp rated aod.. it was pricey, but you will spend the same on a high h.p. rated manual trans. ive priced both. like straublittleman said, its up to you. depends on how you wanna drive it, and how your gonna use it. i like to go to cruises alot in the summer, and have tendacy to get stuck in traffic alot. not to mention you cant outshift an automatic if you bracket race at all. other ppl say the "fun factor" is in the shifting, "rowing thru the gears". i drove my notchback for 3 months as a manual..and hated it. i was gonna leave my 96 a 5spd till i priced a decent trans wit clutch. it cost the same as my racing aod...so ima ru-ese the aod.
svtlx is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-22-2010, 05:22 PM   #4
Titus Wadicus
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Straublittleman View Post
Well Dean, its like this its your car you decide if you want it auto or standard. If you go the route of t-5 the you need the tranny wire harness so you still have backup lights, you will need a flywheel, clutch/pressure plate, clutch quadrant, pedals, cable and maybe driveshaft and crossmember. You do not need a new computer or tune. Even the standard shift computers have the program for the auto tranny, thats where ford tries to get people to spend more money because they make you think you need a new ecm.
wire harness...i dont need no stinkn back-up lights....lol.

also, i dont think he would need a crossmember or driveshaft..all mine matched right up on the swap.
Old 12-23-2010, 12:30 AM   #5
Road Trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by svtlx View Post
if u want a t-5, u can have my whole set-up outa my 96. im converting to an auto. also, if your goin the route of an auto..i would do an aod as opposed to an aod(e). i got a 700hp rated aod.. it was pricey, but you will spend the same on a high h.p. rated manual trans. ive priced both. like straublittleman said, its up to you. depends on how you wanna drive it, and how your gonna use it. i like to go to cruises alot in the summer, and have tendacy to get stuck in traffic alot. not to mention you cant outshift an automatic if you bracket race at all. other ppl say the "fun factor" is in the shifting, "rowing thru the gears". i drove my notchback for 3 months as a manual..and hated it. i was gonna leave my 96 a 5spd till i priced a decent trans wit clutch. it cost the same as my racing aod...so ima ru-ese the aod.
How far away from cincinnati are you? I'm in need of a t-5, my stang came with one and someone changed it to auto aode. Would you take a 4r70w with less than 60,xxx miles on it for trade? Or how much would you want for it.
Old 12-23-2010, 11:17 AM   #6
Titus Wadicus
Regular

Quote:
How far away from cincinnati are you? I'm in need of a t-5, my stang came with one and someone changed it to auto aode. Would you take a 4r70w with less than 60,xxx miles on it for trade? Or how much would you want for it.
lol...i just got back from cincy the other day. i dont do electric trannys, i got a racing aod. so do you need the whole set-up? peddle assem., clutch..flywheel, cable, shifter,fork, bellhousing?
Old 12-23-2010, 01:41 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
I prefer manual cars so I would say five speed. If it were mine I would not go t5 though. You will save itself a lot of money on the long run if you get a proper trans from the start. The t5 is garbage, around here we like trip say the t on t5 stands for temporary. I have broken these thing s in basically stock cars. I have three or for broken ones at the house, several cases, and plenty of destroyed counter shafts. I hate the t5. Either go auto or get atko. My two cents.
ibleedblue65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 02:00 PM   #8
Road Trip!

Quote:
lol...i just got back from cincy the other day. i dont do electric trannys, i got a racing aod. so do you need the whole set-up? peddle assem., clutch..flywheel, cable, shifter,fork, bellhousing?
I need everything except the pedals and quadrant. Is your 96 4.6L? or 3.8L?
Old 12-23-2010, 02:09 PM   #9
Road Trip!

Region: Canada
Unless it's a drag only car and you are chasing consistent ets a standard is how a sports car should come. I love dumping the clutch and laying a 60ft patch. Jmo
Everett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 04:48 PM   #10
Titus Wadicus
Regular

Quote:
I need everything except the pedals and quadrant. Is your 96 4.6L? or 3.8L?
itsa 3.8
Old 12-23-2010, 04:50 PM   #11
Road Trip!

Quote:
itsa 3.8
Cool! Have you decided on how much you want for it? If anything I just need the tranny I can get the rest of the parts.
Old 12-23-2010, 04:52 PM   #12
Titus Wadicus
Regular

Quote:
Cool! Have you decided on how much you want for it?
i was want'n 500 for it cause i was plan'n on selln all of it as a complete changeover kit.
Old 12-23-2010, 04:56 PM   #13
Road Trip!

Quote:
i was want'n 500 for it cause i was plan'n on selln all of it as a complete changeover kit.
Not a bad price, but i'll have to wait until tax season unless your interested in trading for a 302 or something?
Old 12-23-2010, 04:57 PM   #14
Titus Wadicus
Regular

Quote:
Not a bad price, but i'll have to wait until tax season unless your interested in trading for a 302 or something?
tell me bout the 302 and wut else u got..i dont need any trannys though.
Old 12-23-2010, 05:09 PM   #15
Road Trip!

Well the 302 is stock 2barrel its out of a 1ton duelly truck runs good doesn't smoke at all, nice and smooth. Was going to put it in the stang but i've got a 351w i'm going to put in it. Mainly motor and parts, I have another 302 thats parts or put back together "block/heads". If you no anybody needing a 2.3L 8plug roller motor out of a 92 stang with 83,xxx miles I have one. also a 4.0l out of a 94 ranger with 97,xxx miles.
Old 12-23-2010, 05:18 PM   #16
Titus Wadicus
Regular

Quote:
Well the 302 is stock 2barrel its out of a 1ton duelly truck runs good doesn't smoke at all, nice and smooth. Was going to put it in the stang but i've got a 351w i'm going to put in it. Mainly motor and parts, I have another 302 thats parts or put back together "block/heads". If you no anybody needing a 2.3L 8plug roller motor out of a 92 stang with 83,xxx miles I have one. also a 4.0l out of a 94 ranger with 97,xxx miles.
naw, that's ok. i got an explorer motor i need to stick a piston back in it. im just bn lazy. when you get a lil change let me know. right now im looking for a tall cowl hood for my 96, maybe a complete rear end. a 94-96 gt engine harness with pcm, and i think that's bout it.

my parents live in forest park n cincy, and my kids r down there. so im n that area quite a bit.
Old 12-23-2010, 05:42 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Hijacked thread.
Old 12-23-2010, 06:19 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Hawaii
Cool Re: Opinions Plz? Regut AODE w/Shift kit & Stall TC or T-5 Conversion?

Quote:
Hey svtlx! About ur T-5 setup,Let's talk 'bout it. Check ur Private messages.SWEET!
Blustreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 06:21 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

No t5 seriously
Old 12-23-2010, 06:53 PM   #20
Road Trip!

Quote:
naw, that's ok. i got an explorer motor i need to stick a piston back in it. im just bn lazy. when you get a lil change let me know. right now im looking for a tall cowl hood for my 96, maybe a complete rear end. a 94-96 gt engine harness with pcm, and i think that's bout it.

my parents live in forest park n cincy, and my kids r down there. so im n that area quite a bit.
Will do! You can get a hood for $270 ish from champion hoods out of dayton ohio or $170 for pin-on hood. they have 4inch cowl cobra rr hoods, very good quallity.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT