1994 Mustang GT Water Pump Replacement Help? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 12-26-2010, 12:03 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Michigan
Send a message via AIM to BrKu789
1994 Mustang GT Water Pump Replacement Help?

Hello,

I'm new to this forum and I was wondering if anyone can help me out.

I'm having a major coolant leak, and it looks to be coming out of the front of the engine block, where the water pump would be placed. I am looking to get it replaced, and i would like to do it myself, I just don't have any experience with doing these repairs myself.

I guess what I'm asking for is maybe a step-by-step guide for the removal of the old water pump. I don't know really where to start for it. If anyone could help me, the repair is for a 1994 Mustang GT (5.0L V8).

Thanks for the help!
Advertisement

Old 12-26-2010, 07:34 PM   #2

Region: Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrKu789
Hello,

I'm having a major coolant leak, and it looks to be coming out of the front of the engine block, where the water pump would be placed. I am looking to get it replaced, and i would like to do it myself, I just don't have any experience with doing these repairs myself.

I guess what I'm asking for is maybe a step-by-step guide for the removal of the old water pump. I don't know really where to start for it. If anyone could help me, the repair is for a 1994 Mustang GT (5.0L V8).

Thanks for the help!
Go and buy a Haynes or Chilton manual if you are going to attempt it. It is a fairly simple job, but the bolts can be a bi$#% to remove is they are original.
stmpede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010, 07:39 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Hello,

Thanks for the help!
Hi I'm vince , I had the same prob, it's pretty easy removing the water pump, just take the belt, fan, and upper coolant hose off, should just be 3-4 bolts and the gasket, but before putting the new gasket on for the water pump , take some 80-100 grit sand paper or get a scrapper and make sure the old gasket comes all off and it's smooth. Also make sure it's your water pump thats leak because at first that's what I thought was going on with my car but it turned out to be my timing chain gaskets which was a pain to fix!
WhiteCobra94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-26-2010, 09:37 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Michigan
Send a message via AIM to BrKu789
Re: 1994 Mustang GT Water Pump Replacement Help?

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteCobra94 View Post
Hi I'm vince , I had the same prob, it's pretty easy removing the water pump, just take the belt, fan, and upper coolant hose off, should just be 3-4 bolts and the gasket, but before putting the new gasket on for the water pump , take some 80-100 grit sand paper or get a scrapper and make sure the old gasket comes all off and it's smooth. Also make sure it's your water pump thats leak because at first that's what I thought was going on with my car but it turned out to be my timing chain gaskets which was a pain to fix!
Alright, well i ended up jacking up the car and looking at it and it seems that it is the water pump that is leaking. I cant really tell though because there is a large amount of coolant where the serpentine belt spins on the lower part of the engine. It also it a pretty major leak. Whenever i start the car it ends up having a full trail of coolant from where i started to where i ended, so i'm not completely sure if it's the water pump either. What would you say? How did you find out that it was your timing chain gaskets?
Old 12-26-2010, 11:23 PM   #5
Road Trip!

Region: Other
Quote:
Originally Posted by stmpede

Go and buy a Haynes or Chilton manual if you are going to attempt it. It is a fairly simple job, but the bolts can be a bi$#% to remove is they are original.
+1
I changed the pump on my '84 and ended up breaking 3 bolts off. Two of them I was able to get out with a little heat, lube and vice grips. The other one I had to drill out of the block. Make sure when you reinstall the bolts you use some anti-seize!!
93CobraGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 12:56 AM   #6
Road Trip!

Region: Kentucky
Re: 1994 Mustang GT Water Pump Replacement Help?

Go ahead and take your belt off and the water pump pully fill the car up with water and start it if you have to but you should only need to turn the pump by hand and see if water is coming out of the "weep" hole on the side of the water pump. the hole is usually on the bottom side. Just don't let your car run very long if you start it.
Straublittleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 09:13 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Alright, well i ended up jacking up the car and looking at it and it seems that it is the water pump that is leaking. I cant really tell though because there is a large amount of coolant where the serpentine belt spins on the lower part of the engine. It also it a pretty major leak. Whenever i start the car it ends up having a full trail of coolant from where i started to where i ended, so i'm not completely sure if it's the water pump either. What would you say? How did you find out that it was your timing chain gaskets?
I had to take it and have it pressure tested and found out it was coming out of the of the timing chain cover, so i waited to my cam and heads on to fix it then put an electric water pump on ...deff better then the regular ones but cost about $150 more.
WhiteCobra94 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT

Tags
1994 mustang