fuel economy advice... - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 12-30-2010, 11:03 AM   #1
Titus Wadicus
Regular

Region: Ohio
Send a message via Yahoo to svtlx
fuel economy advice...

ok. so i fell of my chair when i saw 3.15 a gallon. i like driving my stang on the street and would like to maybe take a road trip in it one day. however, the price of premium and race fuel (i mix it) have got me reluctant. here's my set-up

standard stroke 308 (.40 over)
mls head gaskets
hand ported e7
arp rod, head, studs, and intake bolts
bbk ssi intake w/ 1inch spacer
70ml t/b
90ml pro-m w/30lb. calibration..w/30lbs inj. 255lph fuel pump
e-cam w/1.7rr.... .560 comp valve springs
11psi boost
timing @ 10 degrees advance
msd 6a, msd coil, high dwell ignition control module
off road xpipe with mac mufflers
racing aod w/24-2700rpm stall
spherical upper trailing arm bushings
boxed upper and lower trailing arms
4cyl. front springs and anti-sway
v-8 "convertible" rear springs and sway bar
welded frame ties
7.5 3.42 gears w/traclok

my car is @ 24-2500rpm on the highway @ 65mph.... is this normal?

the gas milage is freak'n horrible!!! if i see 12mpg's (hghway) the light of jesus is shining upon my 5 liter. i have some 3.73 i was goin to install but it's a bit overkill. i wanna achieve a low rpm (highway)cruising speed for fuel milage, but still (if possible) be able to get out the hole. i just bought a 96 v-6 that has a 2.73. and swap all my v-8 stuff into it.

#1.....my plan...
install my traclok into the 2.73
up my boost to 14psi to make up for the lower gear...
i figured between the increase in boost and my stall speed, that i should still be able to get out the hole with the 2.73 .
as well as save a lil fuel with low rpm highway cruising speed.
(or keep boost the same)

#2.....the other plan...
purchase a used 96-98 gt rear end with 3.27 (i can pick-up for under $200)
but stock gt's are only rated for around 25mpg highway. however, i should still be able get out of the hole pretty good with the 3.27

fuel economy is my greater concern because of the price of gas, and race fule in my parts is around 6.50-6.75 a gallon (i usually need approx. to gall. for car to run smooth)

my question is this... which plan will net me the most highway milage? or is better fuel milage just a pipe dream and the nature of the beast because of my set-up. ('03 cobra rated for 21mpg's highway)

im just tryn to get sum thoughts and opinions from everyone. worse cums to worse, i will just swap my 3.42's into the 96. it's super torquey, and is the only car that i owned that could go sideways at 50mph (says alot from an auto). however, im willing to sacrifice sum torque to be able to afford to still drive the car on the weekends. (fuel prices are projected to hit $5.00gall by 2012). let me know wut u guys think....thanks.
svtlx is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-30-2010, 11:38 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

Region: Alabama
Send a message via AIM to SpectorV
Re: fuel economy advice...

i would set it up so its fun to drive and if gas is to expensive then buy a DD and just drive it when its nice out to save money there.

if you drive at 55mph vs 65 etc and dont go high in the rpm between gears it should help tons as well
2003 Cobra Vert (Redfire) #3938 of 5082 @ 05/27/2003
472rwhp/493rwtq -Modification List - Dyno Sheet
2012 Mustang 3.7L M6 (Kona Blue)
2011 Ford Edge Sport (Red Metallic)
SpectorV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 11:54 AM   #3
Titus Wadicus
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpectorV View Post
i would set it up so its fun to drive and if gas is to expensive then buy a DD and just drive it when its nice out to save money there.

if you drive at 55mph vs 65 etc and dont go high in the rpm between gears it should help tons as well
i got a dd. it's fun to drive now with the 3.42's, it's just expensive.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-31-2010, 12:22 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois

my v6 runs up near 2400 on the highway at 65 but it runs lower at like 75 80
ponyboy94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 12:36 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kentucky
Send a message via Yahoo to 1ijack
I look at it this I did not buy a mustang with a v8 for fuel economy. I got it to blow the doors off other rivals from stoplight to stoplight or at the drag strip. Yes mine is a daily driver and I put 80 miles a day not including my run around miles.

I average about 23 miles to the gallon. So I can't complain just remember these could be the last of a dying breed. Older cars are getting harder to find.

I have done a lot to get my stang go where it Is now I have put vacuum gauges and air fuel gauges to keep me out of the throttle and worked on the fuel cell and pump. The biggest thing was the sct programmer that gave me better fuel economy.

The Mustang Mafia
"Join the family, if you dare"
www.themustangmafia.com
1ijack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 09:37 AM   #6
Titus Wadicus
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponyboy94 View Post
my v6 runs up near 2400 on the highway at 65 but it runs lower at like 75 80
sooo, your say'n that your rpms decrease the faster you go? do you have the 5spd w/2.73 gears?
Old 12-31-2010, 10:06 AM   #7
Titus Wadicus
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ijack View Post
I look at it this I did not buy a mustang with a v8 for fuel economy. I got it to blow the doors off other rivals from stoplight to stoplight or at the drag strip. Yes mine is a daily driver and I put 80 miles a day not including my run around miles.

I average about 23 miles to the gallon. So I can't complain just remember these could be the last of a dying breed. Older cars are getting harder to find.

I have done a lot to get my stang go where it Is now I have put vacuum gauges and air fuel gauges to keep me out of the throttle and worked on the fuel cell and pump. The biggest thing was the sct programmer that gave me better fuel economy.
23mpg really... ii'd fukn kill for that kinda milage, maybe not kill...but i'd hurt somebody pretty damn bad stop light to stop runs yield me single digit mpgs. beating somone at a stop light is more than pride for me, itsa finanacial commitment. if it ain't a vette, a bike, or something boosted, i dont waste my time/money. anyway, im suppose to b setting an example for others.
Old 01-01-2011, 08:21 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ijack

Lol! That's what I got mine for! Damn imports
Qwik Four Six is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 11:04 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
Your fuel mileage is extremely low for your setup. Either you drive everywhere with your foot matted or there is another issue. I would not worry about any solution except for the one that follows the diagnosis of your real problem.
ibleedblue65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 11:33 PM   #10
Titus Wadicus
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibleedblue65 View Post
Your fuel mileage is extremely low for your setup. Either you drive everywhere with your foot matted or there is another issue. I would not worry about any solution except for the one that follows the diagnosis of your real problem.

oook, well wuts the real problem? the last part kinda sounded like a chinese riddle
Old 01-02-2011, 11:03 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Are there any codes stored? What size injector are you running? When was the last time you cleaned your maf? What about the tune, when was it tuned last? When was the last time you had a wideband in it? Just trying to help out because something else is goin on here. My 65 carbureted coupe gets close to 19. I only have a3.27 in it now, but its still a500 horse car. You should be at 13 or so, possibly better.
Old 01-02-2011, 11:16 AM   #12
Titus Wadicus
Regular

Quote:
Are there any codes stored? What size injector are you running? When was the last time you cleaned your maf? What about the tune, when was it tuned last? When was the last time you had a wideband in it? Just trying to help out because something else is goin on here. My 65 carbureted coupe gets close to 19. I only have a3.27 in it now, but its still a500 horse car. You should be at 13 or so, possibly better.
re-read my set-up on top of thread. i posted everything you asked. it's a obd1 system.
Old 01-02-2011, 11:21 AM   #13
Titus Wadicus
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpectorV View Post

my car is an auto. also, i live in the city, not rural. so i have to maintain 65mph on the highway. slower speed could cause an accident or cause me to get cited for "obstruction of traffic" "failure to maintain a safe speed". however, i do have a stall speed converter...possibly this is where my gas is goin.
Old 01-02-2011, 11:24 AM   #14
Titus Wadicus
Regular

Quote:
9-13mpg is typical of what i see...im tryn to get high teens...maybe low twenties.
Old 01-02-2011, 12:15 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

You answered very few of those questions. I still think that number is low for your setup. You might consider just going to pump fuel. Clean the maf and make sure the tune is dead on.
Old 01-02-2011, 12:18 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

A stock five speed notch may get 19 or 20. Trying to get better than that in am auto car is going to be next to impossible but you should be able to average 13 or better depending on how you drive.
Old 01-02-2011, 12:52 PM   #17
Titus Wadicus
Regular

it's never had a wide band on it. the mass air is clean. the plugs are new. as far as doing anything to the pcm...it's stock. it's not really necessary on an obd1 car running under a full atmoshere/bar (less than 14psi). ive tried running 24lbs injectors, 26lbs...but it runs smoothly with 30's. i could possibly bump the timing up a bit, but im hesitant with 11psi. it's pretty snappy and there's no ping'n or pop'n.

im really start'n to think it's the stall converter. itsa 24- 2700 stall. it keeps the motor reved up more than a stock converter on regular driving. not to mention, my aod wont go into overdrive till i get 55mph or more.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT