smoking like crazy - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 01-10-2011, 04:12 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
smoking like crazy

i just did a couple things to my car this past week,cold air intake,smog pump eliminator pulley(i haven't had time to pull the hoses and such yet,just plugged them),now when my car gets to operating temp.,it smokes like a freakin freight train,equally out both sides of the exhaust.it does it mostly at idle,but does smoke when changing gears too,it is a really thick white smoke that doesn't smell like antifreeze or anything so i would think its running extremely lean?The only thing i could think of so far is that the computer isn't adjusting to the extra air?Or bad maf?Any input would be greatly appreciated.The fuel system is all still stock.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-10-2011, 04:26 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
Is it an auto?
ibleedblue65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 08:25 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
Did you cap off all of the small vacuum lines that you had to disconnect? Vacuum leaks can cause tons of problems.
Cobracoupe5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-10-2011, 09:05 PM   #4
Titus Wadicus
Regular

Region: Ohio
Send a message via Yahoo to svtlx
Re: smoking like crazy

did u unplug the egr harness?

bbk ssi, 70ml t.b., bbk adj.reg., bd11-a 11psi, e-cam,
racing aod, 2700 stall, 3.42 gears, ported e7, 308ci, 1.7rr, comp .560valve springs, gear drive, high dwell module, msd 6a & coil, bbk off road xpipe, mac cat back, 30lbs inj, pro-m 90mm, welded subframe connectors, boxed upper & lower trailing arms, spherical axle bushings, 255/50/16 tires, 255lph pump, 456hp
svtlx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 09:07 PM   #5
Titus Wadicus
Regular

if u did, u need to plug the harness back up to the sensor, even if the sensor isnt connected to the intake

racing aod, 2700 stall, 3.42 gears, ported e7, 308ci, 1.7rr, comp .560valve springs, gear drive, high dwell module, msd 6a & coil, bbk off road xpipe, mac cat back, 30lbs inj, pro-m 90mm, welded subframe connectors, boxed upper & lower trailing arms, spherical axle bushings, 255/50/16 tires, 255lph pump, 456hp
Old 01-10-2011, 09:20 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

White smoke is either coolant or tranny fluid. You either have a bad head/gasket or vacuum modulator.
Old 01-11-2011, 07:51 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

its a 5 speed,and i don't remember unplugging any harnesses,but i will check,and as far as vacuum lines the only one i messed with came from the smog pump andi just plugged it.i was thinking head gasket too,but the smoke is equal from both pipes?even with the h pipe i would think one would be worse?thanks for all the replies,it atleast gets my brain churnin a little more
Old 01-11-2011, 08:42 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Re check the plug on your air meter. I've seen people manage to plug it in backwards.
Old 01-11-2011, 01:17 PM   #9
Titus Wadicus
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by GUDNEVL View Post
its a 5 speed,and i don't remember unplugging any harnesses,but i will check,and as far as vacuum lines the only one i messed with came from the smog pump andi just plugged it.i was thinking head gasket too,but the smoke is equal from both pipes?even with the h pipe i would think one would be worse?thanks for all the replies,it atleast gets my brain churnin a little more
well if noth'n else, just put your hands on all the plugs and meke sure they r tight. sometimes it's easy to pull something loose...still be connected but not pluged up if u know wut i mean (contacts nott touch'n. hopefully you dont have an intake or head gasket issue.

Old 01-11-2011, 01:53 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

Send a message via AIM to SpectorV

i unplugged my MAF once and it made the car smoke like crazy
2003 Cobra Vert (Redfire) #3938 of 5082 @ 05/27/2003
472rwhp/493rwtq -Modification List - Dyno Sheet
2012 Mustang 3.7L M6 (Kona Blue)
2011 Ford Edge Sport (Red Metallic)
SpectorV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 03:37 PM   #11

Region: California

Yeah, it probably is a combination of head gasket and exhaust seating.
thegerm65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 09:14 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpectorV View Post
i unplugged my MAF once and it made the car smoke like crazy
did it end up straightenin it self out?i mean did the computer finally compensate?
Old 01-11-2011, 09:21 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by GUDNEVL

did it end up straightenin it self out?i mean did the computer finally compensate?
That reminds me. Anytime you make changes it's a good idea to reset the computer. Did you do that?
Old 01-11-2011, 09:23 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobracoupe5 View Post
That reminds me. Anytime you make changes it's a good idea to reset the computer. Did you do that?
i thought i had,all i did was unhook the ground cable at the battery for an hour?
Old 01-11-2011, 09:50 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

When I do it I unhook a battery terminal, turn on my headlights, and turn the key forward. It helps pull any electricity stored in the computer if you don't want to wait. An hour of being disconnected should have done it too. Did it clear up any?
Old 01-11-2011, 10:37 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobracoupe5 View Post
When I do it I unhook a battery terminal, turn on my headlights, and turn the key forward. It helps pull any electricity stored in the computer if you don't want to wait. An hour of being disconnected should have done it too. Did it clear up any?
i did that as i installed the cold air intake,so i guess thats where it actually got worse,but i may have to try it again
Old 01-11-2011, 10:41 PM   #17
Titus Wadicus
Regular

i swear dude, something is unpluged.....

Old 01-12-2011, 11:51 AM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Something unplugged causing it to smoke white? It just doesn't add up to me.
Old 01-12-2011, 12:13 PM   #19
Titus Wadicus
Regular

im rack'n my brain here. i dont think it's the cold air. it's an obd1 system, it's only half as sensative to changes as obd2. wut u did shouldnt have any effect on the ecm. do u know how to check the heater on your mass meter? egr..and bad heating element on the mass air is all i can think of at the moment.

Old 01-12-2011, 12:23 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by svtlx
im rack'n my brain here. i dont think it's the cold air. it's an obd1 system, it's only half as sensative to changes as obd2. wut u did shouldnt have any effect on the ecm. do u know how to check the heater on your mass meter? egr..and bad heating element on the mass air is all i can think of at the moment.
I'm sorry, I don't mean to be a pita but you are making no sense to me. I have never seem a condition where a gas motor burning just fuel produces white smoke. I have see diesels spit out white smoke which is un burnt fuel, but never a gas motor. So what you are saying is the heater element is bad which makes the computer think there is more air coming in, so it is really rich and then the egr either recirculated this or doesn't causing it to come out white? Huh?
Old 01-12-2011, 12:39 PM   #21
Titus Wadicus
Regular

it's been a while for me. but the last time i experienced anything remotley close to wut your talkn bout, it was the 2 i mentioned. as far as the egr..it was unplugged. if i was there im sure i could be more help. but im tryn to diagnose on the net here. they're only suggestions. im not sayn the egr valve does anything, but the pcm know's if it's unpluged (open loop), and your shyte will definatley smoke. when i deleted my egr, i left the sensor hooked up to the harness so so it wasnt in open loop. then i got a closed loop egr by-pass off of ebay. im just goin off of wut u told us..it ran good till u took it apart. that's y i think something is unpluged or not pluged in completly.

if that's not it, the it's the latter of your options ...either a blown head or intake gasket. and yes, u r correct on the mass air. if that's the issue. im sorry im not coming up with more useful advice. but i bet u, when u find it u will kick urself, cause it's something stupid. everyone one of us has done something stupid that yielded crazy results, that's y u have so many suggestions.

Old 01-12-2011, 01:28 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

I wasn't trying too show you up our anything, I just figured I was going to either learn something new or make sure he was getting hood advice. What you need to do is go out to the car with some diag equipment and figure it out. As my boss likes to say, "put the car on the phone sir."
Old 01-12-2011, 01:34 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

I built my car from the ground up and when i started it up for the first time it smoked like crazy with white smoke. I pulled my hair out for a week swapping the maf sensor, ignition module, injectors, and checking timing. The car was really rich. I swapped out computer from an A3M to an A9L and instantly everything cleared up. My car had an A3M originally and that is a 93 5.0 5 speed CPU. I later found out that the A3M does not do well with certain engine mods. check to see which CPU you have and do a little research on it. Also, if the car never smoked before, try reinstalling the stock filter and inlet tube to rule that out.
Old 01-12-2011, 01:40 PM   #24
Titus Wadicus
Regular

no, it's cool. sorry if i came across as defensive. i didnt realize u weren't the original poster till now...lmao. im not always right (i like to think i am). ther's alota ppl wit an sct tune and a cai kit on their car and suddenly they're race car mechanics if u know wut i mean. i hope he get's it figured out. it's hard to visualize when u arent there. i havent had an egr or pollution pump in years. i got one now for the blower. but i gutted it and filled it with wheel bearing grease. it's just a pulley now

Old 01-12-2011, 11:33 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Minnesota

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibleedblue65 View Post
White smoke is either coolant or tranny fluid. You either have a bad head/gasket or vacuum modulator.
White smoke could also be lean! A little white smoke is just normal condensation, but that would be way less then what sounds like hes putting out for white smoke.
94 Mustang GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 11:40 PM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by svtlx View Post
The only effect egr will have at idle is cause it to run rough due to the egr valve being open for what ever reason. The problem shouldnt have anything to do with the egr since you said its at idle unless it runs rough and i missed you say that.
Old 01-12-2011, 11:56 PM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

i am thinking that unfortunatly,it is the head gasket,because it does only smoke at operating temp,but now it runs way hot,even with a new thermostat and it being somethin like negative 386 degrees celcius.Its freakin cold,lmao
Old 01-12-2011, 11:56 PM   #28

I also replaced the cold air intake and the car started running lean. But after reseting it I got the check engine light the dealer told me to drive it 600 miles
I drove 800 miles on a recent trip and that cleared it lol. That was all it took for the comp to compensate or reset The car is running great.
cesar avila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 11:59 PM   #29
Road Trip!

Region: Louisiana
Hook your smog pump back up just for the hell of it. See if it clears up. Lean/rich enough to smoke should smell like hell. Should not even be able to stand in that cloud. Check your PVC valve also.
Alscobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 12:12 AM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by GUDNEVL View Post
i am thinking that unfortunatly,it is the head gasket,because it does only smoke at operating temp,but now it runs way hot,even with a new thermostat and it being somethin like negative 386 degrees celcius.Its freakin cold,lmao
I dont mean to offend you but everyone over looks some of the simple things. lol. How is the coolant level? Cause if it is a gasket it should smoke all the time. Also have you checked the engine oil? If not check that to see how it looks.
Old 01-13-2011, 01:20 AM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94 Mustang GT View Post
I dont mean to offend you but everyone over looks some of the simple things. lol. How is the coolant level? Cause if it is a gasket it should smoke all the time. Also have you checked the engine oil? If not check that to see how it looks.
engine oil looks good,but i am loosing antifreeze somewhere,without a visible leak
Old 01-13-2011, 02:30 AM   #32
Road Trip!

Region: Louisiana
Sounds like a great excuse to pick up a set of trick flows.
Alscobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 09:03 AM   #33
Registered Member
Regular

i am more into the gt40 price range right now,but thats what i was thinking too
Old 01-13-2011, 01:53 PM   #34
Registered Member
Regular

pretty much confirmed head gasket,i let it get warm at idle,after it was warm a couple small revs and there is antifreeze in the snow,none in the oil though so must be leaking on the exhaust side of the gasket?I had a ford ranger that did the same thing,only difference is i drove it that way for 6 months,my car i am not going to risk like that.Like someone else mentioned,now would be a good time for newer heads and intake upgrade i guess.Would it be just as easy if i am putting in a new cam and all to just pull the motor?
Old 01-13-2011, 02:03 PM   #35
Titus Wadicus
Regular

sorry dude

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT