What oil to use? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 01-14-2011, 04:46 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular
 
WhiteCobra94's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Region: Pennsylvania
Posts: 1,435
What oil to use?

Ok quick question I'm doing a HCI swap and was wondering about the motor oil to use? I've used 10w-40 since I bought the car 5 years ago, do I continue using 10-40 or what?
WhiteCobra94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 01-14-2011, 11:09 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular
 
94 Mustang GT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Region: Minnesota
Posts: 165
Re: What oil to use?

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteCobra94 View Post
Ok quick question I'm doing a HCI swap and was wondering about the motor oil to use? I've used 10w-40 since I bought the car 5 years ago, do I continue using 10-40 or what?
I would say NOO WAY!!! Just wondering, but why 10-40?? Ford recommends using 5-20
94 Mustang GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 07:41 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular
 
WhiteCobra94's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Region: Pennsylvania
Posts: 1,435
Quote:
Originally Posted by 94 Mustang GT

I would say NOO WAY!!! Just wondering, but why 10-40?? Ford recommends using 5-20
Actually when I first bought the car (5 years ago), I was taking it to the Ford Dealer down the street from me for oil changes and when I started doing it myself that's what the one Ford tech told me! ...... Will it hurt anything to switch to 5-20
WhiteCobra94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 01-15-2011, 09:05 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular
 
06mustangmike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Region: New York
Posts: 812
Re: What oil to use?

i would use recommeded oil and weight.
06mustangmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 09:30 AM   #5
Road Trip!
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Region: Kentucky
Posts: 839
Re: What oil to use?

10w-30 would be better or use recommended oil. I just don't like using thin oil. Maybe 5w-30??? it's a little thicker.
Straublittleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 02:01 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular
 
94 Mustang GT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Region: Minnesota
Posts: 165
Re: What oil to use?

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteCobra94 View Post
Actually when I first bought the car (5 years ago), I was taking it to the Ford Dealer down the street from me for oil changes and when I started doing it myself that's what the one Ford tech told me! ...... Will it hurt anything to switch to 5-20
i believe for turbos your supposed to use a different weight im not too sure though, but if its naturally asperated i would use 5-20. Ford recommends using 5w-20 on just about everything they make except some of their suv's in the early 2000's. Is it f/a?
94 Mustang GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 02:02 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular
 
94 Mustang GT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Region: Minnesota
Posts: 165
Re: What oil to use?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Straublittleman View Post
10w-30 would be better or use recommended oil. I just don't like using thin oil. Maybe 5w-30??? it's a little thicker.
10w-30 is too thick! Ford recommends 5w-20, they have a tsb out for it
94 Mustang GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 02:27 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular
 
06mustangmike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Region: New York
Posts: 812
Re: What oil to use?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94 Mustang GT View Post
i believe for turbos your supposed to use a different weight im not too sure though, but if its naturally asperated i would use 5-20. Ford recommends using 5w-20 on just about everything they make except some of their suv's in the early 2000's. Is it f/a?
motorcraft 5-20 is a syn. blend ,that's what ford recomends.
06mustangmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 02:29 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular
 
94 Mustang GT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Region: Minnesota
Posts: 165
Re: What oil to use?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 06mustangmike View Post
motorcraft 5-20 is a syn. blend ,that's what ford recomends.
They just recommend 5-20 it doesnt have to be synthetic blend. It can just be conventional.
94 Mustang GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 02:34 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular
 
WhiteCobra94's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Region: Pennsylvania
Posts: 1,435
Quote:
Originally Posted by 94 Mustang GT

They just recommend 5-20 it doesnt have to be synthetic blend. It can just be conventional.
But if I have been running 10-40 or the past 5 years is changing to 5-20 gonna hurt any of my stock lower end
WhiteCobra94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 02:37 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular
 
94 Mustang GT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Region: Minnesota
Posts: 165
Re: What oil to use?

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteCobra94 View Post
But if I have been running 10-40 or the past 5 years is changing to 5-20 gonna hurt any of my stock lower end
no, it will actually be better! The thinner oil will be able to get through all the small clearances quicker! It wont be noticeable, but with thinner oil less friction will help the engine for performance.
94 Mustang GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 03:59 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular
 
WhiteCobra94's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Region: Pennsylvania
Posts: 1,435
Quote:
Originally Posted by 94 Mustang GT

i believe for turbos your supposed to use a different weight im not too sure though, but if its naturally asperated i would use 5-20. Ford recommends using 5w-20 on just about everything they make except some of their suv's in the early 2000's. Is it f/a?
What's f/a? Lol
WhiteCobra94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 04:01 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular
 
WhiteCobra94's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Region: Pennsylvania
Posts: 1,435
Quote:
Originally Posted by 94 Mustang GT

They just recommend 5-20 it doesnt have to be synthetic blend. It can just be conventional.
Well I kno my break in period for my heads and cam say not to use syn oil
WhiteCobra94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 04:07 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular
 
94 Mustang GT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Region: Minnesota
Posts: 165
Re: What oil to use?

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteCobra94 View Post
Well I kno my break in period for my heads and cam say not to use syn oil
I havent heard that before! lol. i think you can but, i suppose io would listen to them lol
94 Mustang GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 04:10 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular
 
WhiteCobra94's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Region: Pennsylvania
Posts: 1,435
Quote:
Originally Posted by 94 Mustang GT

I havent heard that before! lol. i think you can but, i suppose io would listen to them lol
Yea I read it last night on Edelbrock's website, ... I'm using there Performer 5.0 Heads, Cam and Intake!!
WhiteCobra94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 12:05 AM   #16
Legacy Member
Legacy
 
lowflyn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Region: Mississippi
Posts: 19,890
Send a message via AIM to lowflyn
Re: What oil to use?

Keep using what you've been using, no reason to change now. I run cheap 10w30 in our 5.0 and it really doesn't care either way.


I still think ford recommends 5w20 because they have an almost monopoly on it.
__________________
"I'm not driving too fast...just flying too low"
Mine:
-03 SB Cobra vert- 2552 of 5082 Born 02/25/03
Our's:
90 7up vert - new project-07 DSG Focus -DD
335
lowflyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 02:36 AM   #17
Road Trip!
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Region: Kentucky
Posts: 839
Re: What oil to use?

Ford reccomends 5w-20 for "normal" driving. Who in the heck has a Mustang and drives it normal?? So rule of thumb is if you are racing or just driving it a little harder than normal you use thicker oil. Thats why they have 50W for racing oil wich is close to gear oil thickness and some rearends take 50W for gear oil. So I say stick with the thicker oil.
Straublittleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 04:23 AM   #18
Registered Member
Regular
 
94 Mustang GT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Region: Minnesota
Posts: 165
Re: What oil to use?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowflyn View Post
Keep using what you've been using, no reason to change now. I run cheap 10w30 in our 5.0 and it really doesn't care either way.


I still think ford recommends 5w20 because they have an almost monopoly on it.
well first it wont last as long as it would if you used 5-20 but wont really do much of a difference, use what you want, its not my cra but ford RECOMMENDS 5-20 and second how would they have a monopoly onit!?!? thats dumb! lol
94 Mustang GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 11:09 AM   #19
Registered Member
Regular
 
ibleedblue65's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Region: Georgia
Posts: 182
Depends on oil pressure and climate. A higher viscosity oil is better for wear not a thinner oil.
ibleedblue65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 11:11 AM   #20
Registered Member
Regular
 
ibleedblue65's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Region: Georgia
Posts: 182
Quote:
Originally Posted by 94 Mustang GT

well first it wont last as long as it would if you used 5-20 but wont really do much of a difference, use what you want, its not my cra but ford RECOMMENDS 5-20 and second how would they have a monopoly onit!?!? thats dumb! lol
The 10-30 would actually be better for durability.
ibleedblue65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 12:57 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular
 
94 Mustang GT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Region: Minnesota
Posts: 165
Re: What oil to use?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibleedblue65 View Post
The 10-30 would actually be better for durability.
Ah, no it wouldnt be! Its thicker so its going to take longer to get everywhere in the engine and it would be tighter for the smaller clearences! If it would actually be better, why would Ford go from 10-30 to 5-20?
94 Mustang GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 01:08 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular
 
ibleedblue65's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Region: Georgia
Posts: 182
Quote:
Originally Posted by 94 Mustang GT

Ah, no it wouldnt be! Its thicker so its going to take longer to get everywhere in the engine and it would be tighter for the smaller clearences! If it would actually be better, why would Ford go from 10-30 to 5-20?
Thicket oil is better fir wear for obvious reasons. That is why we have multi viscosity oils, so it is thin enough on start up yet thick enough hot.both oils are going to fit in the tighter clearances, duh. Viscosity is just a measurement of how it flows. With your mentality, the thinner the better. So we should all use water or gasoline instead of the thicker oils. When selecting oil you take many things into account. First is your climate in selecting three winter weight. Then, typically you want yo run a thin a possible while still maintaining good oil pressure warm. You do this to reduce parisitic loss not for engine life.
ibleedblue65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 01:45 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular
 
94 Mustang GT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Region: Minnesota
Posts: 165
Re: What oil to use?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibleedblue65 View Post
Thicket oil is better fir wear for obvious reasons. That is why we have multi viscosity oils, so it is thin enough on start up yet thick enough hot.both oils are going to fit in the tighter clearances, duh. Viscosity is just a measurement of how it flows. With your mentality, the thinner the better. So we should all use water or gasoline instead of the thicker oils. When selecting oil you take many things into account. First is your climate in selecting three winter weight. Then, typically you want yo run a thin a possible while still maintaining good oil pressure warm. You do this to reduce parisitic loss not for engine life.
Thicker is not better! The multi viscosity is for winter, which is where the "w" comes from! The test it around 0 degrees F and give it a rating. and the other number is for around 200 degrees F. Yeah no $H!T both are going to fit, but the THINNER is going to fit better and get through quicker! Well ill let you think what you want, its your car, but mine will last! Have fun!
94 Mustang GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 02:38 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular
 
ibleedblue65's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Region: Georgia
Posts: 182
Quote:
Originally Posted by 94 Mustang GT

Thicker is not better! The multi viscosity is for winter, which is where the "w" comes from! The test it around 0 degrees F and give it a rating. and the other number is for around 200 degrees F. Yeah no $H!T both are going to fit, but the THINNER is going to fit better and get through quicker! Well ill let you think what you want, its your car, but mine will last! Have fun!
Density and viscosity are two different things. Once you have established oil pressure the speed at which it flows through is insignificant. Viscosity had nothing to do with how it fits, it is resistance to flow. The only time you want oil thinner is at startup because the motor is dry and you want to fill the oiling system quickly. Hence multi viscosity oils.
ibleedblue65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 02:55 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular
 
94 Mustang GT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Region: Minnesota
Posts: 165
Re: What oil to use?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibleedblue65 View Post
Density and viscosity are two different things. Once you have established oil pressure the speed at which it flows through is insignificant. Viscosity had nothing to do with how it fits, it is resistance to flow. The only time you want oil thinner is at startup because the motor is dry and you want to fill the oiling system quickly. Hence multi viscosity oils.
Bull S**T! You will ALWAYS have oil pressure about 10 sec after the car starts, but in winter the oil can be oh say 10 degrees warm, but with oil pressure!! Ok your whole theory you just said is wrong! Ive explained it already im not going to explain it again! I would recommend doing some research!
94 Mustang GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 04:35 PM   #26
Registered Member
Regular
 
ibleedblue65's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Region: Georgia
Posts: 182
Quote:
Originally Posted by 94 Mustang GT

Bull S**T! You will ALWAYS have oil pressure about 10 sec after the car starts, but in winter the oil can be oh say 10 degrees warm, but with oil pressure!! Ok your whole theory you just said is wrong! Ive explained it already im not going to explain it again! I would recommend doing some research!
Did my research, now do yours. http://www.smartsynthetics.com/motor-oil-viscosity.htm
O and here's another with an interesting line about how the lower the viscosity, the more wear will inevitably occur. http://www.upmpg.com/tech_articles/motoroil_viscosity/
Just because your a line tech at some ford dealer and went to uti does not mean you know everything.
ibleedblue65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 05:40 PM   #27
Registered Member
Regular
 
94 Mustang GT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Region: Minnesota
Posts: 165
Re: What oil to use?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibleedblue65 View Post
Did my research, now do yours. Motor Oil Viscosity - importantance of
O and here's another with an interesting line about how the lower the viscosity, the more wear will inevitably occur. Motor Oil Viscosity Grades Explained in Layman's Terms
Just because your a line tech at some ford dealer and went to uti does not mean you know everything.
ok. your right the article is right! I was taught the wrong things at UTI and Ford even does the wrong things! I am sorry i ever doubted you!!! I hope you can forgive me!
94 Mustang GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 06:25 PM   #28
Registered Member
Regular
 
06mustangmike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Region: New York
Posts: 812
Re: What oil to use?

i can't believe were still talking about this
06mustangmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 06:38 PM   #29
Registered Member
Regular
 
Camo1967Mustang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Region: Texas
Posts: 1,130
Quote:
Originally Posted by 06mustangmike
i can't believe were still talking about this
lol
__________________

Adrian
2001 Mustang

--AM CAI, BBK Headers, Dual exhaust, Billet grille, hood and side scoops, Sequential tail lights,
AM Headlight covers, Fog lights, Chin spoiler, H&R Lowering Springs, KYB Shocks and Struts

January 2012 StangAlley ROTM
Camo1967Mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 08:13 PM   #30
Road Trip!
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Region: Canada
Posts: 2,203
Unleashed beast has a thread called what you need to know about oil and filters and has been doing some form of engineering with oil so I suggest finding that thread or asking him. He is as close to an expert as we are gonna get. And he loves to talk about it so send him a pm if you want the truth about oil. And for recommends 5w20 due to the CAFE laws. In Australia for the same cars ford recommends 5w30..... For the EXACT SAME CARS. All of you guys should do your homework simply because this thread Is full of bull...
Everett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 02:50 AM   #31
Road Trip!
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Region: Kentucky
Posts: 839
Re: What oil to use?

Well I know I'm not full of "bull". I've always ran thicker oil than what it calls for because I'm not a idiot that drives my car easy. Also I know for a fact that race car people use 50W in their motors. Why is that? If thin oil is so f!@king good then why use a thicker oil when racing????? I'll tell you why because thicker oil lubricates better at higher temps. Thin oil is only good for start up and go drivers that don't wait for their motors to warm up. So if you say I'm full of bull then you're very mistaken and I'll definitely know not to take your advise for anything because I'll know you're full of it. I've never had a problem with my motors spinning a rod bearing when I'm out doing burn outs with the motor taching out or when i'm in the 4x4 stuck in a mud hole revving the engine to 7000-8000 rpms. Why is that? Because I run thicker oil. I've got 15w-40 in my stang right now but I'll go up against any body on here that runs 5w-20 in their car and we'll have a rev contest and see who's car lasts the longest with holding it to the floor for 5 minutes at a time. What scared?? I'm not.
Straublittleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 01:01 PM   #32
Road Trip!
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Region: Canada
Posts: 2,203
Quote:
Originally Posted by Straublittleman
Well I know I'm not full of "bull". I've always ran thicker oil than what it calls for because I'm not a idiot that drives my car easy. Also I know for a fact that race car people use 50W in their motors. Why is that? If thin oil is so f!@king good then why use a thicker oil when racing????? I'll tell you why because thicker oil lubricates better at higher temps. Thin oil is only good for start up and go drivers that don't wait for their motors to warm up. So if you say I'm full of bull then you're very mistaken and I'll definitely know not to take your advise for anything because I'll know you're full of it. I've never had a problem with my motors spinning a rod bearing when I'm out doing burn outs with the motor taching out or when i'm in the 4x4 stuck in a mud hole revving the engine to 7000-8000 rpms. Why is that? Because I run thicker oil. I've got 15w-40 in my stang right now but I'll go up against any body on here that runs 5w-20 in their car and we'll have a rev contest and see who's car lasts the longest with holding it to the floor for 5 minutes at a time. What scared?? I'm not.
I agree with thicker oil. Ford had to follow the CAFE laws so in the quest for fuel efficiency they recommended a thinner oil which provides less protection. I agree with you 100 %...5w20 is a poor excuse for oil and I used to use it until I started reading and discovered why they changed their recommendations. It was to avoid fines , not protect our engines. These people who chose to put 5w20 in their engines are dooming it to an early death
Everett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 01:17 PM   #33
Registered Member
Regular
 
ibleedblue65's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Region: Georgia
Posts: 182
Nice to learn something new every once in a while. I did not realize they changed weight because of cafe laws. I did figure it was for fuel mileage though. I would love to see a side by side test showing the actual fuel savings from the lighter oil. I bet its very little.
ibleedblue65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Oil upton7 The Bar 0 12-27-2009 05:27 PM
which oil upton7 1996-2004 Mustang GT 11 04-08-2009 10:21 AM
oil carlosc Pre-2005 V6 Mustang 46 02-25-2009 08:35 PM
Oil 00BlackStang Pre-2005 V6 Mustang 3 06-19-2006 02:14 PM
Oil change....... cagedthought Pre-2005 V6 Mustang 24 10-04-2003 01:35 PM

» Like Us On Facebook



11:22 AM


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0

MustangEvolution.com is in no way associated with or endorsed by Ford Motor Company.