Manual steering rack / rag joint? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT

Join Mustang Evolution Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 02-02-2011, 07:55 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Cobracoupe5 is unknown around these parts
Manual steering rack / rag joint?

I have a flaming river manual rack with the matching flaming river solid steering shaft. I was thinking about removing the solid steering shaft and replacing it with the stock rag joint shaft but I'm not sure if the rag joint will hold up with the manual rack.

If anyone has ever used a manual rack with a stock rag joint please let me know if you had any issues with tearing them.

Thanks in advance!

Old 02-02-2011, 09:19 PM   #2
Road Trip!

Straublittleman is unknown around these parts
Re: Manual steering rack / rag joint?

Had one on my 79 stang and never had issues, just make sure you keep in clean and not oil soaked and it should be fine. Just think they had 4x4 trucks with manual steering boxes and rag joints and they go through more hell than a mustang steering rack.

Old 02-02-2011, 10:10 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Cobracoupe5 is unknown around these parts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Straublittleman
Had one on my 79 stang and never had issues, just make sure you keep in clean and not oil soaked and it should be fine. Just think they had 4x4 trucks with manual steering boxes and rag joints and they go through more hell than a mustang steering rack.
Thanks. I want to change a few things on my front end to improve the ride quality a little. In a few weeks I'll be pulling off the tubular A arms, solid steering shaft, and the coil overs.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT