supercharger???? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 07-28-2007, 12:33 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
supercharger????

i was thinking about getting a supercharger for my cobra when i get back from iraq but i was told that b/c of all the mods i have done i have such a high compression ratio that ill keep blowing head gaskets with a supercharger. is that true? i was also told that i could get one but make sure not to go over like 8 or 10 psi. i would just like ur guys/girls input on the situation. thanks

here are most of my mods: the engine is bored 40 over, heads, flatop pistons, 42lb injectors, cam, intake, full off-road exhaust, cai, msd ignition, smog pump delete, 1.7 roller rocker arms, thats all i can think of for now im sure im missing 1 or 2 things.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-29-2007, 12:53 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Louisiana
Re: supercharger????

yes high comp. and boost don't mix. need to know your comp. first. you may have to run race fuel and have copper head gaskets

2006 Mustang GT lots of mods ex wife has it
1979 corvette stingray #'s matching 47K org. miles
1970Chevelle SS 454 big block Old School 500hp Sold
hottcobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2007, 01:48 AM   #3
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Texas
Send a message via AIM to bbunt302

First and foremost, you need to find out what your compression ratio is. If it's over 9.5, I wouldn't put a blower on it. Even then, I probably wouldn't go over 8 psi just to play it safe.

On the other hand, nitrous and high compression work very well together.

Scary stuff.
bbunt302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-31-2007, 04:28 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

then y is it that i see supercharged 94-95 mustangs all the time?? what makes the compression so high? is there anything i can do to lower it?
Old 07-31-2007, 04:52 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
Send a message via AIM to Y2E0L0L5OGWT Send a message via Yahoo to Y2E0L0L5OGWT

Probably because those supercharged cars you see have one of two things on them...either (1) they don't have nearly the list of mods that you do so they are running much lower compression on motor or (2) they have significantly built up internals made to handle the high compression...

Not to say that people don't do it, because quite a few do, but it's not usually a common thing to see guys run FI with a cammed car or with a car on spray...generally speaking (and I am sure some will disagree with me), but usually you see FI-ed cars only with that super/turbocharger and built up internals for running high boost OR you seem guys running cams and spraying...you usually don't mix the two...but then again, some people do it with great success...
'05 GT - Borla Catback, JLT Series 3 Intake & SCT SF3 Tuner, Koni Adjustable Shocks/Struts, H&R Race Springs, Roush Shifter, Hawk HP+ Brakes all around, Steeda Front Sway Bar & End-Links, Royal Purple Fluids
'2011 F-250 Super Duty Crew Cab - 6.7L PSD 4x4
Y2E0L0L5OGWT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2007, 05:01 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

my cobra has forged internals if that makes a difference
Old 07-31-2007, 05:31 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Mississippi

You say your block is bored .40 over, which makes everyone assume you have increase the compression(which is what we would do). Now, you apparently have done quite a few mods, we would need to know what mods those are, and most importantly what compression(which has already been stated).
Old 07-31-2007, 05:35 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Y2E0L0L5OGWT View Post
Not to say that people don't do it, because quite a few do, but it's not usually a common thing to see guys run FI with a cammed car or with a car on spray...generally speaking (and I am sure some will disagree with me), but usually you see FI-ed cars only with that super/turbocharger and built up internals for running high boost OR you seem guys running cams and spraying...you usually don't mix the two...but then again, some people do it with great success...
Actually a good cam with any kind of FI setup or nitrous is more common than you think. For the guys getting the most out of the combination a good supercharger cam can do wonders as can a turbo cam. They do not in the least cause any problems and actually make the combination run more efficiently. EX would be that a turbo car would run more duration on the exhaust than the intake to maximize the amount of air/exhaust leaving the cylinders to build boost faster, and for an SC car you don't want an overlapping cam because all that boost can actually blow the af mixture OUT of the cylinder during overlap.... Sorry to digress, but my point was just that a cam built for a specific application is something you do want to mix, especially if you want to maximize your combination. I think you mean high compression maybe?
Old 08-02-2007, 04:43 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

well the cam thats in my car says nitrous cam. so should i just go with nitrous or get a supercharger?? the guy i bought the car from said the car i built/setup for nitrous. but ill look into the whole supercharger thing and get my compression checked and then ill go from there.
Old 08-02-2007, 04:49 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

What are the specs on the cam?? And if you are getting another one, call COMP Cams or another RESPECTABLE company that makes cams. There is a black art to making cams and 99 times out of 100 only the people who have had YEARS of experience know what do to. There are several factors in getting the very best cam for your setup. Vehicle weight, gearing, auto or manual, forced induction or nitrous, your compression, and so on and so on. Like I said your best bet would be to complete your setup and call someone like Comp Cams and have them grind you a cam specifically for your setup.
Old 08-02-2007, 04:50 PM   #11
15.3 Second V8 Killer Yo
Legacy
Regular

Send a message via AIM to PureVenom Send a message via MSN to PureVenom Send a message via Yahoo to PureVenom

Well, based on information relating to the 03/04 cobras...flat top pistons are 10.5:1 compression...with 17cc pistons being stock @ 8.5:1.

So, I would say you are somewhere around 9.5-10.5:1 compression. You could run boost on this setup, however you would need to keep the psi down to 8 psi max...and ****** the timing some in order to be able to run street gas without detonation.

As for your last question, if you have a nitrous cam, I would go with nitrous over the S/C as your motor is setup to flow best for nitrous.
Old 08-02-2007, 04:55 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by PureVenom View Post
Well, based on information relating to the 03/04 cobras...flat top pistons are 10.5:1 compression...with 17cc pistons being stock @ 8.5:1.

So, I would say you are somewhere around 9.5-10.5:1 compression. You could run boost on this setup, however you would need to keep the psi down to 8 psi max...and ****** the timing some in order to be able to run street gas without detonation.

As for your last question, if you have a nitrous cam, I would go with nitrous over the S/C as your motor is setup to flow best for nitrous.
I'm totally confused... The 5.0 and the modulars don't have that much in common, especially combustion chamber size, piston size, and so on. When did he say what cc dish pistons he had??

I'm probably confused on your post... so :dunno: My bad if I am
Old 08-02-2007, 05:04 PM   #13
15.3 Second V8 Killer Yo
Legacy
Regular

Send a message via AIM to PureVenom Send a message via MSN to PureVenom Send a message via Yahoo to PureVenom

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluestang1724 View Post
here are most of my mods: the engine is bored 40 over, heads, flatop pistons, 42lb injectors, cam, intake, full off-road exhaust, cai, msd ignition, smog pump delete, 1.7 roller rocker arms, thats all i can think of for now im sure im missing 1 or 2 things.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bullitt482 View Post
I'm totally confused... The 5.0 and the modulars don't have that much in common, especially combustion chamber size, piston size, and so on. When did he say what cc dish pistons he had??

I'm probably confused on your post... so :dunno: My bad if I am
I was basing my comments losely on what I know about the 03/04 cobra motors. I know flat tops in a cobra are 10.5:1, so that is why I said he is probably 9.5-10.5:1. I am also basing them on the assumption that when he says flat top pistons he is refering to a 0cc dish.

I realize they are different motors and all, however piston dish is going to apply to all motors equally. The more dish, the less compression. It is with that statement that I based my comments.

So, I guess to generalize my comments even further...with flat top pistons, the C/R is probably high...therefore boost would have to be kept down.
Old 08-02-2007, 05:06 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Gotcha, I just read your post wrong... I was getting the whole dish and lower compression part... but stock pistons are also flattop in a 5.0... Plus we don't know if the block has been decked and/or the heads.. Too many darn variables.
Old 08-02-2007, 05:08 PM   #15
15.3 Second V8 Killer Yo
Legacy
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullitt482 View Post
Gotcha, I just read your post wrong... I was getting the whole dish and lower compression part... but stock pistons are also flattop in a 5.0... Plus we don't know if the block has been decked and/or the heads.. Too many darn variables.
Yeah....but did my brain dump anyhow...made me feel important for a couple seconds.

And if stock is flat top...the C/R should be around 9.5 or 10:1...I think that is what they came with stock....with the caveat of what else has been done.
Old 08-02-2007, 05:12 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

on a 3V modular, the factory C/R is 9.8:1 which limits boots to around 8-10psi on stock internals...

I would guess his C/R is somewhere in that range, and if the motor is potentially built, then i would think he could run more boost than that? maybe 14-16psi?
'05 GT - Borla Catback, JLT Series 3 Intake & SCT SF3 Tuner, Koni Adjustable Shocks/Struts, H&R Race Springs, Roush Shifter, Hawk HP+ Brakes all around, Steeda Front Sway Bar & End-Links, Royal Purple Fluids
Old 08-02-2007, 05:17 PM   #17
15.3 Second V8 Killer Yo
Legacy
Regular

Quote:
on a 3V modular, the factory C/R is 9.8:1 which limits boots to around 8-10psi on stock internals...

I would guess his C/R is somewhere in that range, and if the motor is potentially built, then i would think he could run more boost than that? maybe 14-16psi?
The forged internals could hold it, but, it would be detonation you would have to worry about. With high compression and high boost, the octane requirements go up quickly...or else you have to start pulling a lot of timing...which would start negating the benefit of running the higher boost as it will decrease your power output.
Old 08-02-2007, 05:18 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Isn't that what 100+ octane race fuel is for?
Old 08-02-2007, 05:19 PM   #19
15.3 Second V8 Killer Yo
Legacy
Regular

Quote:
Isn't that what 100+ octane race fuel is for?
100%....if he had it available to him and wanted to ride around on that all the time. That would get expensive though if he put any kind of miles on the car.
Old 08-02-2007, 05:26 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by PureVenom View Post
100%....if he had it available to him and wanted to ride around on that all the time. That would get expensive though if he put any kind of miles on the car.
true...so the real question becomes whether or not he has something else to drive everyday if he wants to get a S/C, not whether or not the car can handle it...
Old 08-02-2007, 05:28 PM   #21
15.3 Second V8 Killer Yo
Legacy
Regular

Quote:
true...so the real question becomes whether or not he has something else to drive everyday if he wants to get a S/C, not whether or not the car can handle it...
His sig says v6 mustang...so the "beater" is in place...
Old 08-02-2007, 09:33 PM   #22
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: New Jersey
Send a message via AIM to DarkShadow

I would definately put a nice shot of nitrous on a motor like that. It will like it and you a lot better for it. Either that or swap cams again and swap the bottom end again with lower compression than 10:1. Anything higher than that and it becomes so much more difficult to run high enough boost to warrant the 4k+ required for a SC. A 150 shot would probably be quite nice.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT