Long Tube Headers ? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 04-02-2011, 05:17 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Connecticut
Long Tube Headers ?

I am thinking about putting a set of BBK cermic long tube headers on my 88 GT/Cobra clone. I have heard they are a bit of work to get installed on and may require to lift or jack the motor up a bit to get them in.
Has anyone done them or had them done and if so were they worth it in the end. What other suprises may I look forward to like having to buy a mini starter or new stearing saft. I have heard people taling about these items but want to kind of know if spending all this money if really worth it or not. I want to do a little more work to the car but not sure if I should spend this money in other places on it. Will they really give me that much more power and sound in the end with flowmaster mufflers and off road pipe.

I was thinking either these or maybe a andrson powerpipe for my paxton and maybe larger injectors or something like that.

If it matters with long tubes I have BBK springs on the car progressive rate ones.

Any advice or tips would be great.

Thank You
gixxer007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-02-2011, 05:26 AM   #2
Road Trip!

Region: Louisiana
If you're boosted you should do long tubes. If you don't have a rack available to you, install is gonna be tough. Easies way is to support the engine and drop the cross member.
Alscobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 05:36 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Re: Long Tube Headers ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alscobra View Post
If you're boosted you should do long tubes. If you don't have a rack available to you, install is gonna be tough. Easies way is to support the engine and drop the cross member.
Know when you say a rack do you mean a stearing rack or car lift rack. I do have a car lift in my garage if that is the case. I just dont want to get it all apart and find out I need a mini starter or smaller stearing shaft also. As it is the bill is getting up their just for the headers, x pipe and mics items for it.

They car is boosted and right now I have bbk short cermic headers, cam heads etc etc.

Thank You
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-02-2011, 05:41 AM   #4
Road Trip!

I'm sorry dude. This is for your 5.0. Just need to jack up the engine some. I would contact bbk. I'm sure they have a tech line. They should let you know about that. You shouldn't have to. They should be direct fit, if not, check other brands. mine had Mac equal length shorties and no extra parts needed.
Old 04-02-2011, 05:48 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Thats what I said to myself also if it needed to have a smaller starter or shaft they would list it on their site I would think or hope.
I may bite the bullet and go this route then and hold off on the power pipe for the next item to buy then. I will keep you posted as I decide or get this done maybe. What sound and power charge did you see after you did yours.
Thanks for the advice.

Now the hard part how to order all these parts without the wife knowing LOL.
I will have to do like last time I did a big order get a visa gift card and ship them to one of my buildings I guess again. Then she wont see it on our statement and know a thing.
LOL
Old 04-02-2011, 05:55 AM   #6
Road Trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gixxer007
Thats what I said to myself also if it needed to have a smaller starter or shaft they would list it on their site I would think or hope.
I may bite the bullet and go this route then and hold off on the power pipe for the next item to buy then. I will keep you posted as I decide or get this done maybe. What sound and power charge did you see after you did yours.
Thanks for the advice.

Now the hard part how to order all these parts without the wife knowing LOL.
I will have to do like last time I did a big order get a visa gift card and ship them to one of my buildings I guess again. Then she wont see it on our statement and know a thing.
LOL
Long tubes, you're gonna notice a slight loss on low end torque and a gain on high end. The good thing is that you're boosted so the low end will be minimal but you should still notice high end gains. Straight through mufflers will help also.
Old 04-02-2011, 01:26 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey

they are NOT HARD TO DO AT ALL , E-A-S-Y , ALL you need is jack stands and a good floor jack , get the car up as high as you can ... I've had BBK's on 5.0 's and 351w in foxes , fit real well ..............
Old 04-02-2011, 01:27 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey

if you want to opt for the smaller starter ,get one for a 93 Cobra ,its smaller then the older 5.0's
Old 04-02-2011, 01:55 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
I installed these headers with my Father. It took about 6 hours haha. I would recommend taking the motor right out of the car and doin it but it that's not the option you can do it still. The driver side wasn't a problem at all. But the passenger side you actually have to twist the motor. I had shorties in there before hand (I'm boosted) and these headers made the world of difference. Nice clean sound and the power gain was very noticeable. I recommend it for sure. Just be patient, get a friend or 2 to help you and you will fine.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT