nitrous - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 04-02-2011, 09:41 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Pennsylvania
nitrous

Has any ran nitrous on a stock 5.0? I hear alot of good and bad about nitrous. I've never used nitrous but with my situation with not having money to built another wicked n/a motor right now and the need to go fast it sounds like a good idea. What kind to tuning is involved? I'm sure advancing the timing is needed? Gong from a 10 second car to a stock car isn't cutting it and I need a cheap go fast. Any advice will be appriciated.
Dtw90lx is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-02-2011, 10:12 PM   #2
Road Trip!

Region: Other
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dtw90lx
Has any ran nitrous on a stock 5.0? I hear alot of good and bad about nitrous. I've never used nitrous but with my situation with not having money to built another wicked n/a motor right now and the need to go fast it sounds like a good idea. What kind to tuning is involved? I'm sure advancing the timing is needed? Gong from a 10 second car to a stock car isn't cutting it and I need a cheap go fast. Any advice will be appriciated.
Well, nitrous is just as safe as any other power adder. You could safely run a 100 shot with the timing RETARDED, a couple of degrees, not advanced. This is what I plan on doing with my vert very soon. Don't be afraid of the bottle just because idiots give it a bad name.

'93 Cobra (Show) '86 Vert (DD)
93CobraGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 10:30 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

I have had two boosted cars one a 306 with powerdyne which was ok the second was a 331 procharger and the power is amazing but I cannot afford a blower right now. Can you run 100 shot without injector or other upgrades for the time being?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-02-2011, 10:58 PM   #4
Road Trip!

Quote:
I have had two boosted cars one a 306 with powerdyne which was ok the second was a 331 procharger and the power is amazing but I cannot afford a blower right now. Can you run 100 shot without injector or other upgrades for the time being?
As long as its a wet kit, yup. Wet kit is safer anyway. In case you don't know the difference...wet kit sprays both nitrous and fuel. Dry kit sprays only nitrous.

Old 04-02-2011, 11:00 PM   #5
Road Trip!

Region: Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by 93CobraGuy

Well, nitrous is just as safe as any other power adder. You could safely run a 100 shot with the timing RETARDED, a couple of degrees, not advanced. This is what I plan on doing with my vert very soon. Don't be afraid of the bottle just because idiots give it a bad name.

K 93 is right on the nose here. Do not advance the timing. And the ecu can compensate for up to a 100 shot of nitrous. A wet kit is your best bet. Here is what I have. A zex wet shot and jets from 55-175 hp. A window switch(this is a must have). You need to set the window switch to start spraying at 3000rpm and to stop spraying about 300 rpm before you hit the rev-limiter. For under a 100 shot timing does not need to be retarded but anything over that needs to be retarded 1 degree for every 25 hp. 93 has nitrous experience as do I so if you would like to get in depth please don't hesitate to pm me. We have only touched on the subject here. I also spray meth while I spray nitrous and I highly recommend the combo. The meth does away with needing the highest octane possible in the tank cause meth is already 120 octane and it allows for a bigger shot safely. It also does away with retarding the timing on a huge shot. Pm me for in depth

PETOM.biz TTT
Everett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 11:01 PM   #6
Road Trip!

Quote:
Yes...

PETOM.biz TTT
Old 04-02-2011, 11:17 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Thanks guys for the advice I really appriciate it when the time comes I will def. Message you thanks again. One question does the wet kit cost more and more complicated to put on the car?
Old 04-02-2011, 11:19 PM   #8
Road Trip!

Quote:
Thanks guys for the advice I really appriciate it when the time comes I will def. Message you thanks again. One question does the wet kit cost more and more complicated to put on the car?
Nope. Its easy to install. Wet kit just has an extra solenoid you have to run for the fuel. It taps in on the fuel line.

Old 04-02-2011, 11:22 PM   #9
Road Trip!

And yes as Everett said, you don't want to spray until the car is in its power band. Bad things can happen. I recommend doing as much reading as you can on the subject of nitrous. When uaed properly, its juat as safe as forced induction.
I ran a 75 shot on an old 88 Honda Accord 4 cyl with 270k on it. Never blew up.

Old 04-02-2011, 11:32 PM   #10
Road Trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 93CobraGuy

Nope. Its easy to install. Wet kit just has an extra solenoid you have to run for the fuel. It taps in on the fuel line.

And if you buy the zex wet kit you don't even need the extra solenoid. And you tap into the fuel rail with a schraeder valve which is really cool and super easy.It comes with a brain box that works off your tps. It runs off voltage. It's a great system and cheap too. There is a YouTube video from American muscle. It's a 10 minute video. Thats how I installed mine. And you can find used systems for sale all the time. Total for my system including purge and window switch retailed at 1200 bucks. I have less than 500 bucks into it. But stay away from dry. Unless you are going to get it installed and tuned by a pro which is just gonna cost you more money. And since a wet kit sprays fuel and nitrous at once you NEED to give about 10 minutes between runs. You get fuel puddles in the intake manifold and you will blow the hood right off the car if you get a nitrous back fire. I street tuned my nitrous set up and only got up to 125 shot with no issues. Now with meth a 175 shot is doable. Nx makes a great kit too but zex is the most cost effective. And get sticky tires. On the slight gravel on the roads here right now 3000 rpm in 3rd gear the tires break loose so that's where these mod motors start the powerband. When you add nitrous you can count on it going crazy snakey on you. The 75 hp shot in the street when I first installed it last year surprised the crap out of me. The 125 shot is drag radial territory.

PETOM.biz TTT
Old 04-03-2011, 10:02 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Thanks for all the advice! And 93cobraguy that is hilarious it sounds like something I would do. I'm the kind of guy where if my wife had a minivan and I had money I'd throw some juice on it for her so the beer runs she makes can be cut in half!
Old 04-03-2011, 10:05 PM   #12
Road Trip!

Re: nitrous

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dtw90lx View Post
Thanks for all the advice! And 93cobraguy that is hilarious it sounds like something I would do. I'm the kind of guy where if my wife had a minivan and I had money I'd throw some juice on it for her so the beer runs she makes can be cut in half!
I used to be a ricer......When I was young and dumb.....
Old 04-03-2011, 10:07 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Haha we all made our mistakes in life. I liked Chevys until my brother bought a stang when I was 16 ever since iv owned no toy other than a mustang and 2 streetbikes. I sold them for a mustang also
Old 04-04-2011, 07:41 AM   #14
Road Trip!

Quote:
Haha we all made our mistakes in life. I liked Chevys until my brother bought a stang when I was 16 ever since iv owned no toy other than a mustang and 2 streetbikes. I sold them for a mustang also
Ditto on the chevy's til I saw the light
Old 04-04-2011, 04:26 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Everett

Ditto on the chevy's til I saw the light
Haha once you go ford you never go back
Old 04-07-2011, 10:47 AM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Mississippi
Re: nitrous

I would recommend a timing ****** ignition. Just flip a nob and turn a nob to the left to reduce timing. It is alot easier and faster than getting out of your car to change timing. Also run colder sparkplugs
Stang.racr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 04:29 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stang.racr
I would recommend a timing ****** ignition. Just flip a nob and turn a nob to the left to reduce timing. It is alot easier and faster than getting out of your car to change timing. Also run colder sparkplugs
Ok thanks for the advise.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT

Tags
nitrous