Ignition coil problems - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 04-09-2011, 01:48 PM   #1

Region: California
Ignition coil problems

I have 89 mustang I just put an f cam in it and now it won't start. When I test power coming out of the coil I get 12 volts on meter but when I put my test light on it I get nothing. I re droped the distributor bout three times and every time nothing happins. I'm not even getting any popping out of the exhaust so even if the dizzy was 180 out I should hear some thing. Not sure really how to test my coil any suggestions would help. Car ran and drove before cam swap not really sure how the coil could have gone bad during the swap but weirder **** has happined
Mustang1968kr is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-12-2011, 12:27 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Hawaii
Re: Ignition coil problems

First of all are you sure ur testlamp is properly working? Are you grounding the testlamp from the same location as ur meter? It cranks though right? But ur saying know spark? Pull the #1 sparkplug boot and with a spark testor see if spark exists while cranking but cut pwr. to ur fuel pump first.If spark exists follow through with the rest of the cylinders then you'll know for sure if you have a spark issue or a fuel delivery issue.Have you changed the fuel filter and/or the pump anytime since you got the car? These cars are famous for failed fuel pumps.You may wanna check the connector to the ecu too sometimes oxidation may build up on the connector pins and cause a faulty connection.Another thing you might wanna check also is ur inertia fuel pump cutoff reset switch in the trunk behind the liner on the driver side.(it's a red button) Try what I've given you so far and get back to me ok? I'll help you through this my friend. Till than take care and don't stay up too late on this alright bro. Peace!
Blustreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 04:04 AM   #3

Region: California
I have fuel pressure I have a gauge on my fuel rail so I know if I ever loose pressure. I'm grounding my meter an my test light on the negative battery terminal. I'm getting power to the coil and when I crank the motor over over the signal going to coil pulses my test light. Both my meter and my test light show power at electrical connector when I test for power with the key on. Also the ground wire in the electrical connector going to the coil will light my test light when I hook it to the negative terminal on the batter but not to positive terminal. Now when I check power out of the coil (where the wire goes from the coil to the distributor) my meter shows twelve volts but my test light won't light. On both the the new and old the old coil the voltage is the same but the new coil was extremely cheek and the guy at the part store told me that those coils are know to be bad out of the box. I'm ohmed out both coils and they both read pretty close to each other so either there both bad or I'm doing something wrong. I've tested the ignition module and it passed the test and I tested until it got hot and it still passed. The thing I'm confused on is why does my meter show 12v and my test light doesn't light up at coil. My friend just had the same problem with his car not starting a few weeks ago and when I tested power out of the coil it light up my test light and we found the ignition module on the dizzy to be bad so we replaced and the problem went away. I just installed a new cam and ever since it won't start and I've checked the compression and everything is ok there but im just wondering if that had anything to do with it not starting. Any info you have would be much appreciated
Mustang1968kr is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-20-2011, 04:13 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Hawaii
Re: Ignition coil problems

Hey It's me B-streek again,There is one other ignition component to check that should correct ur no start vendetta,Check the ignition condensor coil.It looks like a capacitor with a wire pigtail lead connected to it and has a connector terminal at the end of it.This plugs into the ignition coil also check the connection between ign.coil and ign.distributor camshaft phase sensor.If this don't work follow wire harness back into inside car at the passenger floor kick panel near ECU,You may have a poor connection there also.Goodluck bro. Lemme know ur progress so I can help figure this.
Blustreek is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT