Saving a 5.0. Need advice. - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT

Join Mustang Evolution Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 04-26-2011, 12:07 AM   #1
Region: New Jersey
Saving a 5.0. Need advice.

Alright well i got a 94 5.0 Mustang in a trade. It's in pretty rough shape so i won't spare details if i can.

-170k miles on the clock
-Unknown rear sized gears
-17" cobra rims w/ new cooper zeons (Speedo is off by 15mph, at around 80 i'm actually going 65 i use a GPS to clock the speed atm)
-Clutch isn't stock apparently, and clutch pedal is extremely stiff.
-Motor runs pretty strong
-Transmission shifts well into every gear (In 5th gear around actual 80mph it vibrates sometimes, possible clutch vibration?)
-A/C was deleted, dryer is still remaining i have no idea if the condenser is still their as the Radiator is a new aftermarket one with a pressure relief cap)
-Smog pump is still connected to the belt but the hose disconnected and bypassed at it's upper connections.
-Long tube headers are on the car (Don't know if that's stock for this year, don't look after market)
-Exhaust after the LTH are ghetto side pipes that are ghetto welded up and are terribly loud and have leaks. o2 sensors hooked up and i rewired it for better connections as the previous owner did a ghetto extension. Looks like there are some things next to the o2 sensors that are broken off...some sort of port? No idea....No CEL concerning these.
-Timing is terrible atm, i'll cover that next.
-According to a mustang tech at work he said my injectors do not look anywhere near stock and look larger. It may seem he's right. First things first, the Oil breather and IAC were cleaned and are functional, then we checked timing. Timing at stock 10 degrees was terrible, misfired and nearly died out. I set it currently to 20 degrees and it idles a lot better but loses a lot of power and almost dies out but if i put my foot down it gets all its power back. Now here's the worst problem, It's running extremely rich and burning through fuel extremely fast. We are talking VERY fast. Fuel pressure regulator is stock.
-Before i came to this conclusion i checked the spark plugs and pulled all the old ones out. They were gapped at .040's and couldn't idle AT ALL. I changed em all to new ones set to .052's and it idles wonderful around 750. I really need to fix this problem as well as find some stock exhaust piping from headers back with cats so i can pass emissions this month....
-Interior of the car is mint.
-Exterior needs love.
-Front end is pretty good but probably is going to need tie rods soon, alignment is straight as well as good suspension/shocks/struts.
-All in all if i drive fast it drives fantastic with no knocks.
-Engine has fresh oil in it.
-Brakes are all in good shape.

Any advice on the fuel, timing, exhaust issues much appreciated.

If there's any info needed let me know to help find this out.

5.0PurpleFury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 12:28 AM   #2
Re: Saving a 5.0. Need advice.

I'm on a tight budget so i'm probably going to pick up one of these to fix up the fuel issue. 94,95 Mustang GT Cobra 5.0 Adjustable Fuel Regulator | eBay

Old 04-26-2011, 02:28 AM   #3
Registered Member
Region: Wisconsin
Sounds like you have a good start chasing the gremlins. As far as the fuel pressure regulator you may be better just getting a stock replacement until you figure out the other issues. That way you are not guessing on wether or not it's a fuel pressure problem. The fuel consumption problem may be an injector or two that are stuck open and just pouring fuel in which can cause many of your drivability problems. Ignition timing at 20 degrees seems excessive. Are you pulling the pill by the distributor when you are checking timing? My best guess at that degree of timing is that the timing chain is really worn, which could also cause your drivability problems. If it were me I would put a stock regulator on and see what happens. If no change I would pull the injectors and clean them. Photos of the injectors would help to identify. Stock injectors should have an orange base if I am correct for that year. A new set of injectors can be bought relatively cheap. If timing chain needs to be changed that can be a pain. Just my 2 cents in all this I am sure someone else will chime in here.
SleepingStang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 05:46 AM   #4
Registered Member
Region: Canada
Exhaust is all preference. The header are deff not stock
Brett the best Greene
Brett Greene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 03:03 AM   #5
Re: Saving a 5.0. Need advice.

Yeah i was pulling the spout when i was doing the timing since it corrects the timing if you don't also touched the terminals together to deplete all the electricity to the computer as well to reset it before each timing. It seems like it's not a timing issue. I was thinking as well it could be a stuck open injector too since say i floor it and the other injectors open up and equal to the same as the stuck injectors everything runs fine so that is a possibility, i'll grab some photos of the injectors and i'll hit up a junk yard to see if i can find a stock regulator from a 5.0 otherwise i'll go to my job and pick one up.

I know 20 degrees for sure is excessive but 10 would have no power at all so i need to figure out what else is the issue since i'm pretty sure it's not timing related. I'm hoping it's not a timing chain issue as they are a pain to fix.

I believe the injectors are yellow. I'll get some photos asap to see if anyone can tell if they are larger for this year or if the regulator is shot or what not.

I'll try and get back today or tomorrow.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT