86 GT convertible rear end - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 05-07-2011, 07:33 PM   #1

Region: Illinois
86 GT convertible rear end

My 86' GT rear end is blown. It goes no where, deiveshaft just spins.

What are my options?
Guy I know has a rear end out of an 88' LX, will it work or is the gearing gonna rob me of power?
Mustang_Daddy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-07-2011, 07:36 PM   #2
Road Trip!

Region: Texas
Send a message via Skype™ to Texastboneking
Re: 86 GT convertible rear end

my favorite rear ends lol.
Leading Manufacturer of Traction Enchancing Differentials & Planetary Drives - Auburn Gear
Texastboneking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011, 08:13 PM   #3

Preferably affordable lol
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-07-2011, 08:15 PM   #4
Road Trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang_Daddy2 View Post
Preferably affordable lol
you did not specify! junk yard then
Old 05-07-2011, 09:18 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Mississippi
Usually go for afew hundred I usually keep a spare 8.8 laying around. Got one right now with 3.55 gears
Old 05-08-2011, 01:29 PM   #6
Road Trip!
Supporter

Region: Missouri

Quote:
My 86' GT rear end is blown. It goes no where, deiveshaft just spins.

What are my options?
Guy I know has a rear end out of an 88' LX, will it work or is the gearing gonna rob me of power?
Tear it down and see what broke.
It may be your cheapest option to just repair it.
8.8 Rearend
Trojan Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 01:33 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Guessing pinion bearing
Old 05-08-2011, 01:47 PM   #8
Road Trip!
Supporter

He may have blew some teeth off of the ring or pinion gears, twisted off the pinion gear shaft, or stripped the teeth out of the yoke.
Old 05-08-2011, 06:20 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

What happen when your rear end went out? From what my past experience has been is when your rear end slowly goes out it was my pinion bearing. When it pops and goes out right away with no problems before, could be the spider gears. Just my little o2.
Old 05-08-2011, 06:21 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Well lockers replace spidergears
Old 05-08-2011, 06:24 PM   #11
Road Trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stang.racr
Well lockers replace spidergears
No lockers don't replace spider gears. It locks the spider gears after it detects a certain amount of slipping
Old 05-08-2011, 08:23 PM   #12

Well it was my buddies mustang. I bought it from him with the blown rear end. He said it used to spin both tires n the last couple weeks it started locking just one. N he was on his way to work when it felt like it shuddered, but when he pulled over n checked it out it was fine. So he drove it for 2 more days till it finally went "BANG" n now it goes no where. (as far as my buddy and I know, there wasn't a locker or anything installed. Just a factory rear diff.)

From my experience with a chevy i had, that did the same thing, when i pulled the diff cover off it took the teeth clean off the pinion but the ring was fine. so i swapped the whole thing. But that was on a 78' k30 with Full Floaters on 37s hummer tires.

I've only got "inspection" skills when it comes to rear diffs, i've never actually dismantled one and repaired it. I was told its hard because you have to mesh the gears and everything.

I'm currently attending UTI but I havn't had the "Powertrains" course yet. N i wont for atleast another 3 months. So i have mechanical skills, but no place to do it myself. Any Ideas on price if I had it done at a shop?

I would really like to just lock it up...so...whats the best way to posi the rear but keep me streetable as a DD.
Old 05-08-2011, 09:01 PM   #13
Road Trip!

V8 Mustangs come with locking rear diffs. And locking diffs have spider gears too. You can't just add a locker to the diff. You have to change the whole diff case to make it a locker
Old 05-08-2011, 09:14 PM   #14

I know the locker is a whole new unit. I'm just saying I want to fix whatever is broke. With a new locking differential.
Old 05-08-2011, 09:15 PM   #15
Road Trip!

Ok. I just saw some false info further up. Just making sure it was corrected
Old 05-08-2011, 09:22 PM   #16
Road Trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang_Daddy2
Well it was my buddies mustang. I bought it from him with the blown rear end. He said it used to spin both tires n the last couple weeks it started locking just one. N he was on his way to work when it felt like it shuddered, but when he pulled over n checked it out it was fine. So he drove it for 2 more days till it finally went "BANG" n now it goes no where. (as far as my buddy and I know, there wasn't a locker or anything installed. Just a factory rear diff.)

From my experience with a chevy i had, that did the same thing, when i pulled the diff cover off it took the teeth clean off the pinion but the ring was fine. so i swapped the whole thing. But that was on a 78' k30 with Full Floaters on 37s hummer tires.

I've only got "inspection" skills when it comes to rear diffs, i've never actually dismantled one and repaired it. I was told its hard because you have to mesh the gears and everything.

I'm currently attending UTI but I havn't had the "Powertrains" course yet. N i wont for atleast another 3 months. So i have mechanical skills, but no place to do it myself. Any Ideas on price if I had it done at a shop?

I would really like to just lock it up...so...whats the best way to posi the rear but keep me streetable as a DD.
The gears I showed you in my first post can handle a lot of hp. And they use clutches instead of a locker so they smoothly lock up both tires. Makes for a very streetable car. You can get them decently priced at www.carpartswholesale.com plus there is a coupon you can use to get a little better price. CPWCart
Old 05-08-2011, 09:44 PM   #17
Road Trip!
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texastboneking View Post
V8 Mustangs come with locking rear diffs. And locking diffs have spider gears too. You can't just add a locker to the diff. You have to change the whole diff case to make it a locker
That's not correct. You can install a Traction Loc carrier in the 7.5 or 8.8 differential housings. You can also install posi-trac locking carriers by Eaton, Detroit Locker, Auburn and various other manufacturers into the 8.8's.

First tell us exactly which rear end you have in your Mustang.
Is it the 8.8 (Factory V8) or is it the 7.5 (Factory 6 cyl)?
Old 05-08-2011, 09:55 PM   #18
Road Trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trojan Horse

That's not correct. You can install a Traction Loc carrier in the 7.5 or 8.8 differential housings. You can also install posi-trac locking carriers by Eaton, Detroit Locker, Auburn and various other manufacturers into the 8.8's.

First tell us exactly which rear end you have in your Mustang.
Is it the 8.8 (Factory V8) or is it the 7.5 (Factory 6 cyl)?
I'm calling the case (carrier) a diff. Sorry if that confused you. and mine is auburn. With 3.73 Richmond gears. Don't remember the size of my rear end. But it is what ever came in the cobras in 1997
Old 05-08-2011, 10:17 PM   #19
Road Trip!
Supporter

Quote:
I'm calling the case (carrier) a diff. Sorry if that confused you. and mine is auburn. With 3.73 Richmond gears. Don't remember the size of my rear end. But it is what ever came in the cobras in 1997
Sorry I misunderstood.
However you can also install aftermarket lockers like the PowerTrax in the 8.8 carriers.
Your car has the 8.8 rear end.

I run the Auburn Pro carrier in my 86 GT, 8.8 rear end with 3.73 Ford racing gears.
I really like the Auburn, but it does have one big drawback.
They are not rebuildable due to the cone clutches used in them.
Once they are worn out, you have to replace the entire carrier.

Next time around I'm going with the Detroit Locker.
They are almost bulletproof and their only drawback is the clicking sound from the internal gears ratcheting over one another when you turn and are not under power. I can live with that.
Old 05-08-2011, 10:21 PM   #20
Road Trip!

Quote:

Sorry I misunderstood.
However you can also install aftermarket lockers like the PowerTrax in the 8.8 carriers.
Your car has the 8.8 rear end.

I run the Auburn Pro carrier in my 86 GT, 8.8 rear end with 3.73 Ford racing gears.
I really like the Auburn, but it does have one big drawback.
They are not rebuildable due to the cone clutches used in them.
Once they are worn out, you have to replace the entire carrier.

Next time around I'm going with the Detroit Locker.
They are almost bulletproof and their only drawback is the clicking sound from the internal gears ratcheting over one another when you turn and are not under power. I can live with that.
How long did your auburn gears last? Mine have been installed 4 years and I havent had a problem? What do you think about eaton carriers?
Old 05-08-2011, 10:32 PM   #21

Well its a stock GT with the 302...so I'm assuming its got an 8.8.
Old 05-08-2011, 10:34 PM   #22
Road Trip!
Supporter

Quote:
How long did your auburn gears last? Mine have been installed 4 years and I havent had a problem? What do you think about eaton carriers?
My Auburn is still going strong after 6-7 years now. It still locks up solid and equally when called upon.
Note: If you start hearing some clunking noises when turning or backing up with the Auburn, you can change the oil and add some more friction modifier to quiet it down. However, Auburn says this is not really necessary with the cone clutches and it will work just fine without the friction modifier if you don't mind the noises it makes.

I am getting ready to install a Novi 2000 SC and several other mods which should push me into the 500-600 HP range. Then we'll see if it continues to hold up.

From what I have read during my own research on carriers, the Eaton is a good quality product that almost always gets good reviews from users.
Old 05-08-2011, 10:36 PM   #23
Road Trip!
Supporter

Quote:
Well its a stock GT with the 302...so I'm assuming its got an 8.8.
Most likely it does unless someone did an engine swap in the past.
A factory style 8.8 Traction Loc is going to be your least expensive option, but I would at least pull the cover and try to see what is wrong with the one you have.
Old 05-08-2011, 10:38 PM   #24
Road Trip!

Quote:

My Auburn is still going strong after 6-7 years now. It still locks up solid and equally when called upon.
Note: If you start hearing some clunking noises when turning or backing up with the Auburn, you can change the oil and add some more friction modifier to quiet it down. However, Auburn says this is not really necessary with the cone clutches and it will work just fine without the friction modifier if you don't mind the noises it makes.

I am getting ready to install a Novi 2000 SC and several other mods which should push me into the 500-600 HP range. Then we'll see if it continues to hold up.

From what I have read during my own research on carriers, the Eaton is a good quality product that almost always gets good reviews from users.
Your auburn should be fine. I have a friend with a silverado he dropped a cammed and sc 6.0 in it. It's a bat out of he'll and the diff is holding up fine
Old 05-08-2011, 10:42 PM   #25

Even if it had an engine swap, its still a factory GT. Only reason the rear would be different is if it had an axle swap.
Old 05-08-2011, 10:50 PM   #26
Road Trip!
Supporter

Quote:
Even if it had an engine swap, its still a factory GT. Only reason the rear would be different is if it had an axle swap.
True, but people do build clones and Fox bodies are one of the most modified cars on the streets. I have seen 6 cylinder cars modified and they were visibly identical to the GT's.
Old 05-10-2011, 04:25 PM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

I'm the previous owner of the car it went out slowly sometimes both would go then one or alternate n one time I herd boom just crusing checked it out couldn't find nothing herd the boom again this time slamming 4th n then it just went out a few miles after tht just quit
Mustang_Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 05:49 PM   #28
Road Trip!
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang_Daddy View Post
I'm the previous owner of the car it went out slowly sometimes both would go then one or alternate n one time I herd boom just crusing checked it out couldn't find nothing herd the boom again this time slamming 4th n then it just went out a few miles after tht just quit
That sounds like your rearend clutches were going out.
Probably shouldn't have kept pounding on it.
You may have blown the side out of the carrier.
Had that happen once with a 9" Traction Loc rearend and a set of sticky tires.
Old 05-11-2011, 07:08 AM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

Couldn't help myself had Civic next to me reving with his bug fart cannon so I smoked him lol n its a factory gt I have a chilton book n every letter number I checked to see wht every one ment one of them was the gear in the rear end it has a 3.45 well had lol
Mustang_Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT