Fmu or no??? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 05-16-2011, 06:00 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Fmu or no???

I've tried to research this as much as possible and have read mixed opinions on different forums and websites and need help!
I have an '86 gt with mass air conversion and a 80mm maf and 70mm tb and gt-40 tubed intake adjustable fuel pressure reg. And 30lb injectors and edelbrock performer heads and the motor was said to be a 347 by the previous owner but I am unsure of that but anyway, it has shorty headers and a two cat h-pipe with flows dumped and it also has a NOS inline fuel pump...not sure want type of intank pump is in it but i assume it's a fairly large pump since the last owner ran nitrous? I have a entry level Vortech kit on it's way and want to know if I need the fmu or not? I know I will be running more than the 5-6 pounds of boost that the kit is listed to run because of all the supporting mods and I am going to get it tuned after the install but I live at least 90 miles from the shop and need to know if it will be safe to drive it that far without setting the timing and all that stuff? If anyone has any input it would be much appreciated!
86gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-16-2011, 09:41 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
With proper fuel pump / rails / injectors / and most important TUNE you don't need fmu.
Meansaleen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 01:59 PM   #3
Titus Wadicus
Regular

Region: Ohio
Send a message via Yahoo to svtlx
Re: Fmu or no???

i run standard 302, 30lbs inj, ported stock heads, .529 lift. fmu's are pretty much for when you have the wrong size injectors for the application. when u have the correct size injector, it will run like crap with an fmu... it dumps too much fuel in the cylinder. this has been my experience, and all my friends that run a centri @14psi or under...

set your timing for 10 degrees advance just to be on the safe side... it shouldnt need an fmu. however, if it's stroked, 30lbs injectors may be too small. u will find out when u get it fired up though.

bbk ssi, 70ml t.b., bbk adj.reg., bd11-a 11psi, e-cam,
racing aod, 2700 stall, 3.42 gears, ported e7, 308ci, 1.7rr, comp .560valve springs, gear drive, high dwell module, msd 6a & coil, bbk off road xpipe, mac cat back, 30lbs inj, pro-m 90mm, welded subframe connectors, boxed upper & lower trailing arms, spherical axle bushings, 255/50/16 tires, 255lph pump, 456hp
svtlx is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-17-2011, 06:38 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Connecticut

Quote:
Originally Posted by svtlx View Post
i run standard 302, 30lbs inj, ported stock heads, .529 lift. fmu's are pretty much for when you have the wrong size injectors for the application. when u have the correct size injector, it will run like crap with an fmu... it dumps too much fuel in the cylinder. this has been my experience, and all my friends that run a centri @14psi or under...

set your timing for 10 degrees advance just to be on the safe side... it shouldnt need an fmu. however, if it's stroked, 30lbs injectors may be too small. u will find out when u get it fired up though.
SVTLX hit it right on the head if it is set up with all the proper injectors and pump etc you may find you dont need it at all. I still have one on my car but it is due to go away next time she is at the dyno shop. Only due to I am now going to install the correct size larger injectors and set up. It cant hurt to save the FMU your kit will come with just in case you ever change directions and need it again.
gixxer007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 07:08 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Thank y'all for the help!
Old 05-20-2011, 12:42 PM   #6
Road Trip!
Supporter

Region: Missouri

Quote:
Originally Posted by 86gt View Post
I've tried to research this as much as possible and have read mixed opinions on different forums and websites and need help!
I have an '86 gt with mass air conversion and a 80mm maf and 70mm tb and gt-40 tubed intake adjustable fuel pressure reg. And 30lb injectors and edelbrock performer heads and the motor was said to be a 347 by the previous owner but I am unsure of that but anyway, it has shorty headers and a two cat h-pipe with flows dumped and it also has a NOS inline fuel pump...not sure want type of intank pump is in it but i assume it's a fairly large pump since the last owner ran nitrous? I have a entry level Vortech kit on it's way and want to know if I need the fmu or not? I know I will be running more than the 5-6 pounds of boost that the kit is listed to run because of all the supporting mods and I am going to get it tuned after the install but I live at least 90 miles from the shop and need to know if it will be safe to drive it that far without setting the timing and all that stuff? If anyone has any input it would be much appreciated!
I wouldn't drive it 90 miles untuned. If it goes lean it won't last one mile.

I had the same dilemma as you about the FMU.
After talking with Rick Anderson of Anderson Ford Motorsports I ended up going with 60 lb. Siemens DEKA Injectors which are a bit oversized, but safe and I will be able to add boost as the engine components can handle it without having to buy another set of injectors.
I will also be using the Holley Forced Induction 12-915 fuel pump and a Mr Freeze methanol injection unit. Hopefully these mods will keep the engine from going lean and detonating while running on pump gas.
For tuning I will be using the AFM PMS to give me some flexibility and so I won't have to go to a shop every time I make a change.

Here is a link to information on the Vortech FMU if you need it.
Trojan Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 05:50 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Thank you
Old 05-20-2011, 06:54 PM   #8
Road Trip!
Supporter

Region: Missouri

Quote:
Originally Posted by 86gt View Post
Thank you
You're welcome.
Keep us updated on your progress.
I am interested in hearing how it works out for you.
Trojan Horse is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT