331 stroker info needed - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 05-16-2011, 03:24 PM   #1

331 stroker info needed

Hey guys I built a 331 stroker years ago and the internals are from a company called CAT. Does anybody have any info or quality of these components. It's a 4340 forged steel crank and 4340 h-beam rods. The engine held up great and made decent power. 350rwhp and 360torque. I haven't had any issues what so ever and am looking forward to strapping on a blower. Any info would be nice.
smackdwn54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-16-2011, 07:59 PM   #2
Titus Wadicus
Regular

Region: Ohio
Send a message via Yahoo to svtlx
Re: 331 stroker info needed

cat made my gear drive... pretty good customer service even after the sale. i think they are like a distrubution company that stamps their name on other ppl's stuff like "professional products company". they sell alota stuff on ebay. i would recommend them to anyone.....

o yea, i bought my 255lph pump from them also. its 6yrs old and still kikn.. you definatley know when it's workn...lol.

bbk ssi, 70ml t.b., bbk adj.reg., bd11-a 11psi, e-cam,
racing aod, 2700 stall, 3.42 gears, ported e7, 308ci, 1.7rr, comp .560valve springs, gear drive, high dwell module, msd 6a & coil, bbk off road xpipe, mac cat back, 30lbs inj, pro-m 90mm, welded subframe connectors, boxed upper & lower trailing arms, spherical axle bushings, 255/50/16 tires, 255lph pump, 456hp
svtlx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 08:22 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by svtlx
cat made my gear drive... pretty good customer service even after the sale. i think they are like a distrubution company that stamps their name on other ppl's stuff like "professional products company". they sell alota stuff on ebay. i would recommend them to anyone.....

o yea, i bought my 255lph pump from them also. its 6yrs old and still kikn.. you definatley know when it's workn...lol.
Hey how do u like gear drive, is it alot different from chains? Do u got loud or silent
Advertisement

Old 05-16-2011, 08:36 PM   #4
Titus Wadicus
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stang.racr View Post
Hey how do u like gear drive, is it alot different from chains? Do u got loud or silent
i have the silent.... and besides being a pain in the *** for intial installtion of having to grind out that tab in the timing cover... i would describe it as awsome. ive had it for a few years and i think 3 motors now. i stole it in an ebay auction for 68 dollars.

i would recomend getting them from cat...tons cheaper. it will be the last timing set u buy.

racing aod, 2700 stall, 3.42 gears, ported e7, 308ci, 1.7rr, comp .560valve springs, gear drive, high dwell module, msd 6a & coil, bbk off road xpipe, mac cat back, 30lbs inj, pro-m 90mm, welded subframe connectors, boxed upper & lower trailing arms, spherical axle bushings, 255/50/16 tires, 255lph pump, 456hp
Old 05-16-2011, 08:38 PM   #5
Titus Wadicus
Regular

also, u wont know the difference in how it runs.... unlke a chain it doesnt stretch over time so u wont have to adjust your timing later on... again, i love it... ill never do a chain again...

Old 05-16-2011, 11:45 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Well he'll yeah. I'm fixing a timing chain now and just ditching the e7s on my vert. Probably get a gear drive and better heads and call it a day!
Old 05-17-2011, 12:00 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
I have a gear set from a friend for a 302 and I had such a hard time getting them to fit under the timing cover I ended up grinding a hole in it, so I haven't done anything with them again. Can you use stock cover with gears?
Dexter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 12:11 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

The ones u seen in summit said they fit under stock covers. I wonder what the deff between silent and loud. I would guess just the gear cut, I heard camaro whine one day and I asked him if he had a blower and he said no it was gear drive. But I'm to too familiar with them other than what I heard
Old 05-17-2011, 08:21 AM   #9
Titus Wadicus
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dexter View Post
I have a gear set from a friend for a 302 and I had such a hard time getting them to fit under the timing cover I ended up grinding a hole in it, so I haven't done anything with them again. Can you use stock cover with gears?
technicaly they will fit under a stock cover..of course as u mentioned after grinding out the tab on the inside of the cover. on a chevy cover u just pop it on the block and go, no modification required.

keep in mind that even the aftermarket timing covers have that tab in it, so u cant get outa break'n out the the air grinder/whiz wheel.

there is also a nipple/button on the dog bone gear you gotta grind down flush to the other side so the gear has room to float left to right, this is prolly what caused you to grind the hole in your timing cover, trying to make room for that nipple/button on the dog bone. they put that tab/button there so the dogbone will fit multiple timing covers. it's like file to fit piston rings, a buncha b.s. and extra effort in the begining... but definatley worth the extra time and effort in the end.

the difference in the noisey and silent is definatley the gear cut... the noisey i.m.o. is definatley an aquired taste. that shyte just gets annoying after while. you cant hear the motor... sounds like some sick perv is torturing or killing a cat under the hood of your car...im just sayn....

moral of the story is.....
to install..

grind tab on inside of timing cover flush, so the inside of the cover is all flat.

grind nipple on dog bone gear flush with other side of dog bone. just grind the nipple down till it is the same height as the other three ends on it.

if im not making sense, let me know and i will try to explain further.

the tech engineeer from cat was nice enough to take several calls from me over a 3-4hr period giving me step to step how-to.

Old 05-20-2011, 11:35 AM   #10
Road Trip!
Supporter

Region: Missouri

Quote:
Originally Posted by smackdwn54 View Post
Hey guys I built a 331 stroker years ago and the internals are from a company called CAT. Does anybody have any info or quality of these components. It's a 4340 forged steel crank and 4340 h-beam rods. The engine held up great and made decent power. 350rwhp and 360torque. I haven't had any issues what so ever and am looking forward to strapping on a blower. Any info would be nice.
My issue with C.A.T. Power Engine Parts is that they are Made in China
Personally, I won't use anything Made in China, IF I can help it, afford it and know it beforehand. After seeing articles about them using poisonus chemicals in baby toys, foods and candies, could you really trust them to manufacture anything of good quality?
However they are getting trickier at hiding that fact which makes it more difficult to do these days.

That being said, the parts you have will probably hold up as long as you don't go overboard on boost and power.
I have a relative who owns and operates a machine shop and he said that some of their parts are ok, but others have hard and soft spots in the metal which could mean uneven hardening or contaminated metal castings or forgings.
Just keep it well tuned and within the power levels of your weakest link and you should be ok.
Trojan Horse is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT