86' GT 8.8' w/ 2.73 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT

Join Mustang Evolution Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 05-20-2011, 11:14 PM   #1

Region: Illinois
86' GT 8.8' w/ 2.73

I bought this car with a blown 8.8 w/ 3.45s and swapped it for the 8.8 w/ 2.73s. I got the rear end from a partsyard. I installed it yesterday n I noticed that it clicks when applying the throttle. It only clicks when applying the throttle, even the slightest.

When I got the rear end, I pulled the diff cover, and I noticed that the junk yard drained the fluid....AND that the ring and pinion meshing surfaces had light rust on them. I cleaned them up and put fresh fluid n worked it abit to make sure it spun freely with no hangups.

Now it clicks....I'm gonna drain the fluid n put fresh fluid just incase it knocked some crud loose, but could it just be low on fluid?

Seriously guys I just paid $250 for the rear and $250 in parts. Any info is greatly appreciated,
Josh
Mustang_Daddy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-21-2011, 07:08 PM   #2
Road Trip!
Supporter

Region: Missouri
Re: 86' GT 8.8' w/ 2.73

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang_Daddy2 View Post
I bought this car with a blown 8.8 w/ 3.45s and swapped it for the 8.8 w/ 2.73s. I got the rear end from a partsyard. I installed it yesterday n I noticed that it clicks when applying the throttle. It only clicks when applying the throttle, even the slightest.

When I got the rear end, I pulled the diff cover, and I noticed that the junk yard drained the fluid....AND that the ring and pinion meshing surfaces had light rust on them. I cleaned them up and put fresh fluid n worked it abit to make sure it spun freely with no hangups.

Now it clicks....I'm gonna drain the fluid n put fresh fluid just incase it knocked some crud loose, but could it just be low on fluid?

Seriously guys I just paid $250 for the rear and $250 in parts. Any info is greatly appreciated,
Josh
Make sure it is full of gear oil and you should also put in some Friction Modifier additive. That may cure the clicking you hear.

Lift the rear tires off the ground and rotate each tire by hand, feeling and listening for any clicks or roughness. The click could be caused by a bad axle bearing.
Trojan Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-21-2011, 07:20 PM   #3

Region: Illinois
Ok. I jacked it up n drained the diff. All the gears are clean and the spider gears are intact also. I changed the ujoints. There is no play in the ring nor any excessive movement anywhere.

I did find, however, that the pinion has a little rust built up on 1 of the teeth. And there is a very miniscule chip right next to the rust...I mean barely noticeable.

Is it possible that the rust is causing the clicking? My neighbor says from what he can c that its prolly the rust and it will either wear it down or chip the pinion even more. And he's been a mechanic for 20+ yrs.

I was told that the 2.73 posi doesn't need any friction modifier....is that true?
Mustang_Daddy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2011, 07:29 PM   #4
Road Trip!
Supporter

Region: Missouri
Re: 86' GT 8.8' w/ 2.73

Just clean off the rust while you have it apart.
I have never had a rearend click because of a bit of rust, but I suppose it is possible where you have it on just one tooth.

The gear ratio doesn't have anything to do with wether or not it needs the Friction Modifier. The type of rear end does. Put that in first, then fill it to the proper level with the correct type and weight oil.
Trojan Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT