what happened? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 05-21-2011, 09:51 PM   #1

Region: Colorado
what happened?

Alright the situation is one of my lifters failed(the retainer clip was MIA) they are hydraulic flat tappet. And the pushrod it was attached to was damaged as well. I had bought the car recently and the owner told me he put in a new cam and lifters. Valves and SPRINGS look new, and everything else on the heads look fine. No signs of piston damage either. Question is this, do you think the failure may have been a result of improper break in? Please give me some advice before I try to fix this issue thinking the wrong thing!
chickenplucker2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-21-2011, 10:00 PM   #2
Road Trip!

Region: Texas
Send a message via Skype™ to Texastboneking
Re: what happened?

might not have been tightened down good enough. maybe the valve had too much lash. also could have been a faulty lifter. and make sure the rocker arms and lifters are able to work with the cam. usually with an aftermarket cam you have to replace the springs with ones that are stronger, same with lifters, not so much on the rocker arms. but it wont hurt to check
Texastboneking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2011, 11:37 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
The retainer could have possibly broke and fell below into the oil pan... Sounds just like bad luck with the retainer... If it were a bad break in wouldn't there be more damaged retainers or abnormal wear on the rest of the lifters? I would replace the retainer and put it back together and see what happens... Keep an ear out? That's all I can think of right now...

289 With 302 heads Bored .30= Edellbrock Performer RPM = Holley 650 Double Pump = Hooker Headers to Flowmaster 55's= 03 Billet Rims = Name a part... Its been replaced.
Shanes0406 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-22-2011, 07:56 PM   #4

Hey thanks a lot guys, you always seem to have the advice that I can't find anywhere else. As for my solution, im gonna go ahead and replace the pushrods, lifters, timing chain, and cam. I'll make sure to check the valve lash, torque everything down to spec, and make sure to break it in properly. Hopefully everything will be back running smooth after that thanks again for the help
Old 05-22-2011, 09:12 PM   #5
Road Trip!

Region: Texas
Send a message via Skype™ to Texastboneking
Quote:
Originally Posted by chickenplucker2
Hey thanks a lot guys, you always seem to have the advice that I can't find anywhere else. As for my solution, im gonna go ahead and replace the pushrods, lifters, timing chain, and cam. I'll make sure to check the valve lash, torque everything down to spec, and make sure to break it in properly. Hopefully everything will be back running smooth after that thanks again for the help
Glad to hear your doing it right. Replace it all and you shouldn't have a problem
Texastboneking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 08:08 PM   #6
Road Trip!
Supporter

Region: Missouri

If you are not pulling the oil pan to check for debris, a good strong magnet on the pan will keep any broken pieces from getting into harm's way.

Example: A friend of mine bought an 85' Mustang a few years back and about two weeks later while he was standing on it a bit, the engine threw a rod. Turns out that sometime in the past someone had dropped an oil pump driveshaft into the pan and just left it there. While he was hot rodding a bit it managed to get up into the swing circumference of the crankshaft lobes, was carried up and consequently broke a connecting rod.
Trojan Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 09:09 PM   #7

I do have magnetic oil pan drain bolt one additional question though. Which pushrods should I choose, luminati has set for like $35, whereas summit racing has another for $11 per pushrod. I know these questions have probably been asked a million times on here, but its nice to actually talk to knowledgeable people.
Old 05-23-2011, 09:21 PM   #8
Road Trip!
Supporter

Region: Missouri

Quote:
Originally Posted by chickenplucker2 View Post
I do have magnetic oil pan drain bolt one additional question though. Which pushrods should I choose, luminati has set for like $35, whereas summit racing has another for $11 per pushrod. I know these questions have probably been asked a million times on here, but its nice to actually talk to knowledgeable people.
Without seeing what the differences are that's hard to determine sight unseen.
That's not an area to go overboard on unless you are building a high winding high horsepower engine though.
Trojan Horse is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT