help with socket? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 06-03-2011, 10:35 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

help with socket?

hey guys,

not trying to sound like a dumb ***, but how do you tell if the socket your are using is the right size? i was taking off my caliber in my brakes and i took one of the sockets and it felt right, so i tried to take it off using a breaker bar... and i ended up stripping it but i got it off successfully! i know this is a dumb question but i seem to be having trouble with socket size, and i got a 1995 mustang gt and i got metric and inches and i got all sizes! i tried most of them and the one i picked turned out stripping the bolt! thanks for all your help!!!

NickCap
nickcap is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-03-2011, 10:44 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Mississippi
Lol u just gotta use the one with the least amount of play in it, it does happen from time to time when the bolts get dirty or rusted or whatever, and u end up using the wrong socket.
Old 06-03-2011, 10:51 PM   #3
Road Trip!

Region: Texas
Send a message via Skype™ to Texastboneking
Re: help with socket?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickcap View Post
hey guys,

not trying to sound like a dumb ***, but how do you tell if the socket your are using is the right size? i was taking off my caliber in my brakes and i took one of the sockets and it felt right, so i tried to take it off using a breaker bar... and i ended up stripping it but i got it off successfully! i know this is a dumb question but i seem to be having trouble with socket size, and i got a 1995 mustang gt and i got metric and inches and i got all sizes! i tried most of them and the one i picked turned out stripping the bolt! thanks for all your help!!!

NickCap
here is a little tip. metric bolts have a number on the top of them designating the grade of steel. standard size bolts (inches) have lines indicating the grade of steel. usually 3 or six lines. also i believe on the 95 model its a 13 millimeter or a 15 millimeter
Texastboneking is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-03-2011, 11:08 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

thanks guys alot!!! yea i tried everyone and i found the right one! thanks
nickcap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 10:06 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Mississippi
Nickcap the easiest way to do it is to have all your sockets in a size order and start with the smallest, try each bigger socket in order untill u find the one that is the smallest one that fits it. Try not to use a cresent wrench or vice grips on bolts UNLESS wrenches or sockets won't cut it
Old 06-04-2011, 12:06 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California

you just have to be sure it is a regular bolt and not a special ine like a star bolt they take special sockets.
wereKEV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 01:02 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Yea thanks guys
Old 06-05-2011, 11:50 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California

no problem you can always get answers on the ME site the best place to be on the internet.
wereKEV is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT