Coolant leaking - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT

Join Mustang Evolution Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 06-05-2011, 11:58 AM   #1
Registered Member
Region: Canada
Coolant leaking

This is an odd one so maybe you guys can help, I've got a coolant leak and I think it's from the thermostat housing so I've gotta change that gasket but here's my question. It doesn't leak right away. I drive the car, it drives mint with no problems, then I park it and it's fine but it leaks when it's cooled. For example I noticed the leak the other day at work but left it till I was done work, after work I figured I would pound on it to build pressure I had the car pegged for most of the drive home, but nothing happened on the way home, I parked in my driveway and it was ok, so I topped off the coolant a bit and still ok, the car sat overnight, I went to a mustang show at dasilva racing this morning but took a pickup truck just to be safe , and still nothing was leaking under the car when I left but when I came back, there was a puddle of coolant under the car. How is that possiable? The car was sitting for almost a full 24hrs then it started leaking?

Faster Than A Speeding Ticket! Black 88 Five0, Pull Me Over Red 08v6
08v6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 01:00 PM   #2
Registered Member
Region: Mississippi
One scenario I've seen before on a jeep anyway was the heat expands the gasket at the thermostat housing and stops the leak, that being said. Your car and my moms truck does it, it is kinda odd how they only leak when the cooling system isn't pressurized.

having a fine car that is slow is like having a hot girlfriend that won't put out!
Stang.racr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 03:42 PM   #3
Road Trip!
Region: Missouri
Re: Coolant leaking

Make sure the gasket surfaces are level & true.
Use a straight edge and flat file to take out any dips or irregularities.
Coat a new gasket on both sides with a very thin layer of silicone gasket sealer & let it dry. Once it has dried, install the gasket and torque the bolts down to the proper tightness. DO NOT over torque the bolts or you will warp the housing.

Also, there is a "weep" hole on the bottom of the water pump housing where the shaft comes out.
Check that to be sure you are not getting an intermittant shaft seal leak.
Trojan Horse is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT