Turbo Charger question - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 06-09-2011, 12:15 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Turbo Charger question

Just the other day I was wanting to sell my mustang and today I want a turbo charger. What all comes in most turbo charger kits? And how does it work? Exhaust comes out goes through ur turbo shoots the air back in ur engine? But where at does it shoot the air in? Through ur air intake I'm guessing? Hmm explain please
93stang306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-09-2011, 12:29 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
It's shaft that has a spool on each end. One side the exhaust goes thru and the other sucks air in. Some people say it's free horsepower because u don't need the engines power to spin a pulley.. Look up turbo charger cut away and u will see it better. The exhaust dosent go back in the engine nor does it mix with the fresh intake air. I don't really know any kits but I do know stay far away from the eBay kits
Chris01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 09:06 AM   #3
Road Trip!
Supporter

Region: Missouri
Re: Turbo Charger question

Quote:
Originally Posted by 93stang306 View Post
Just the other day I was wanting to sell my mustang and today I want a turbo charger. What all comes in most turbo charger kits? And how does it work? Exhaust comes out goes through ur turbo shoots the air back in ur engine? But where at does it shoot the air in? Through ur air intake I'm guessing? Hmm explain please
1. A turbo "kit" usually comes with all of the parts needed to install the turbo.
2. Exactly what you get will usually depend upon the level of the kit you order.
3. There are two small turbine type wheels sharing a common shaft in a turbo. The "Hot" side turbine is connected to your exhaust pipe. Hot engine exhaust flows through the hot side of the turbo under pressure causing the turbine wheel to spin, which in turn spins the "compressor" turbine on the other end of the shaft. The compressor side turbine sucks in outside air, compressing it as it passes through and forces it into your engine through tubing ran from the compressor side of the turbo to the throttle body or carburetor and into the engine under pressure.

A lot of people claim that turbos make "free" horsepower. That is not entirely true. There are some parasitic losses from the exhaust restriction and the added weight of the system, but they are more than overcome by the extra power produced. Turbos are smoother and easier on your engine, because they do not induce any additional harmonic vibrations or strain on the front of your crankshaft like belt driven superchargers do.

Here are a couple of a couple of links to reputable kit manufacturers.
HP Performance & Hellion Power Systems
Trojan Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-09-2011, 09:09 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

Region: Alabama
Send a message via AIM to SpectorV
Re: Turbo Charger question

a good kit will run you 5-8k~ the exhaust spins a "fan" that blows air into the motor through the normal intake. Your car can only take so much extra air before it will break.
2003 Cobra Vert (Redfire) #3938 of 5082 @ 05/27/2003
472rwhp/493rwtq -Modification List - Dyno Sheet
2012 Mustang 3.7L M6 (Kona Blue)
2011 Ford Edge Sport (Red Metallic)
SpectorV is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT