What gears? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 06-13-2011, 09:11 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular
 
mustangbill00's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Region: Michigan
Posts: 136
What gears?

Ok here's what I have...95 GT vert with a rebuilt T5, fresh motor out of an 83gt bored 30 over but has 95 heads and stock EFI setup, UD pulleys, BBK equal length headers going into an O/R X pipe and Flowmasters. The cam is a custom grind from Comp Cams but the guy I got the car from lost the spec sheet. He thinks it was 52? Intake and 514 exhaust, not on the rest. I got the numbers off the cam but I just gotta get ahold of comp cams for the numbers.
The car came with a set of 4:10s ( not installed ) but I'm wondering if that is to much. Should I ditch them and get 3:73s or maybe even 3:55s? This is just such an odd motor combination and I'm just not sure what to do with it. Is it ok to run the non-roller block with the EFI? What are the drawbacks with a non-roller?
mustangbill00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 06-13-2011, 09:21 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 166
410 is fine my gf has them in her 94 gt with UD pullies cai new clutch steeda shifter lol and it's her DD it's fine. I think
93stang306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 09:31 PM   #3
Road Trip!
Supporter
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Region: Missouri
Posts: 8,779
Re: What gears?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mustangbill00 View Post
Ok here's what I have...95 GT vert with a rebuilt T5, fresh motor out of an 83gt bored 30 over but has 95 heads and stock EFI setup, UD pulleys, BBK equal length headers going into an O/R X pipe and Flowmasters. The cam is a custom grind from Comp Cams but the guy I got the car from lost the spec sheet. He thinks it was 52? Intake and 514 exhaust, not on the rest. I got the numbers off the cam but I just gotta get ahold of comp cams for the numbers.
The car came with a set of 4:10s ( not installed ) but I'm wondering if that is to much. Should I ditch them and get 3:73s or maybe even 3:55s? This is just such an odd motor combination and I'm just not sure what to do with it. Is it ok to run the non-roller block with the EFI? What are the drawbacks with a non-roller?
The 94 up Mustangs are heavy. I would use the 4.10's.
Are you sure the block wasn't converted to a roller block?
It is ok to run a non roller block. The roller set up is just more efficient and with less valve train friction too, it will help produce a bit more power and less wear.
Trojan Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 06-13-2011, 09:37 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular
 
mustangbill00's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Region: Michigan
Posts: 136
I pulled the intake off and checked and it does not have the conversion. I thought about converting it to a roller but I was told that there a limited number of cams to choose from.
mustangbill00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 09:38 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular
 
mustangbill00's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Region: Michigan
Posts: 136
BTW thanks for the quick response everyone!
mustangbill00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 09:44 PM   #6
Road Trip!
Supporter
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Region: Missouri
Posts: 8,779
Re: What gears?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mustangbill00 View Post
I pulled the intake off and checked and it does not have the conversion. I thought about converting it to a roller but I was told that there a limited number of cams to choose from.
That's not true. There are lots of choices and you can always get a custom grind.

Check this out - CamQuest
Trojan Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 10:04 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular
 
mustangbill00's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Region: Michigan
Posts: 136
Who makes a good affordable conversion kit? What kind of hp would I gain from making this switch?
mustangbill00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 10:25 PM   #8
Road Trip!
Supporter
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Region: Missouri
Posts: 8,779
Re: What gears?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mustangbill00 View Post
Who makes a good affordable conversion kit? What kind of hp would I gain from making this switch?
Maybe 5-20 HP.
Roller Lifter Conversion
Trojan Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 10:44 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular
 
Las0mbra's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Region: Oklahoma
Posts: 2,104
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trojan Horse
That's freakin cheap!
Las0mbra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 10:49 PM   #10
Road Trip!
Supporter
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Region: Missouri
Posts: 8,779
Re: What gears?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Las0mbra View Post
That's freakin cheap!
Yes it is. To cheap to not do the conversion.
Trojan Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 10:51 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular
 
Las0mbra's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Region: Oklahoma
Posts: 2,104
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trojan Horse

Yes it is. To cheap to not do the conversion.
I agree, for 3 horsepower that seems worth it. Performance parts are expensive.
Las0mbra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 10:53 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular
 
Knight F Mohawk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Region: Mississippi
Posts: 519
Send a message via AIM to Knight F Mohawk
Re: What gears?

I'd advise 3.73's or 3.90's. 4.10's are a bit much for a 5.0 car that is regularly driven. They don't make power as high in the RPM's as modulars, and their gas mileage quickly diminishes with RPM.

4.10's WOULD make it quicker at the track....but 3.73's would probably be a better all around gear

-Will
__________________
Waffles
Knight F Mohawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 11:03 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular
 
mustangbill00's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Region: Michigan
Posts: 136
The kit is cheap BUT you gotta factor in new lifters, pushrods and a new roller cam. Not saying I won't do it, I'm just saying there's a little more to it than just the $50 kit, and I also think I would have to change my distributer gear to match the roller cam....I think.
mustangbill00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 11:05 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular
 
Las0mbra's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Region: Oklahoma
Posts: 2,104
Quote:
Originally Posted by mustangbill00
The kit is cheap BUT you gotta factor in new lifters, pushrods and a new roller cam. Not saying I won't do it, I'm just saying there's a little more to it than just the $50 kit, and I also think I would have to change my distributer gear to match the roller cam....I think.
I know you have too, but if you get a new cam, you'll get better gains anyway
Las0mbra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 11:06 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular
 
Knight F Mohawk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Region: Mississippi
Posts: 519
Send a message via AIM to Knight F Mohawk
Re: What gears?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mustangbill00 View Post
The kit is cheap BUT you gotta factor in new lifters, pushrods and a new roller cam. Not saying I won't do it, I'm just saying there's a little more to it than just the $50 kit, and I also think I would have to change my distributer gear to match the roller cam....I think.
Dist. gear will have to be changed. If not done, bigger problems will happen....

My advice would be to go with a TFS stage 1 cam, find one used or something.

If you're going to do all of that, there is NO reason not to upgrade the rockers arms.

-Will
__________________
Waffles
Knight F Mohawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 11:10 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular
 
mustangbill00's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Region: Michigan
Posts: 136
@knight. It will only get driven on weekends so I'm not too worried gas mileage. I think I will try the 4:10s out and if I don't like them I will throw in some 3:73s. No biggie
mustangbill00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 11:17 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular
 
mustangbill00's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Region: Michigan
Posts: 136
Well guys I'm having a hard time keeping my eyes open so it's off to bed for me. I'm on my iPod and the ME app does not have the "thanks" option so I will be sure to hit everyone up first thing in the morning. Nite all
mustangbill00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 11:19 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular
 
Knight F Mohawk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Region: Mississippi
Posts: 519
Send a message via AIM to Knight F Mohawk
Re: What gears?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mustangbill00 View Post
@knight. It will only get driven on weekends so I'm not too worried gas mileage. I think I will try the 4:10s out and if I don't like them I will throw in some 3:73s. No biggie
If that's the case, you'll love the 4.10's.

Especially due to your setup, you need to find out where your power falls off. If you have a local dyno around there, I say you get a pull. Seeing the power curve would do you some good.

The car will rev pretty quick....you want to make sure you don't hold it out into RPM's after you've peaked

-Will
__________________
Waffles
Knight F Mohawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 11:25 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular
 
mustangbill00's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Region: Michigan
Posts: 136
Lol your killing me! There is a shop about 40 miles from me with a dyno. I'm sure it also needs a tune too
mustangbill00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
NEED HELP WITH GEARS!! Motive 4.10 gears? Cant find ford racing? Camaro Eater Pre-2005 V6 Mustang 4 06-23-2010 11:57 AM
4:10 gears? The Darkside Pre-2005 V6 Mustang 33 12-06-2008 10:16 PM
3.73 gears fasternu_674 Pre-2005 V6 Mustang 20 05-11-2008 05:35 PM
new gears strike1980 Pre-2005 V6 Mustang 10 06-26-2005 07:09 PM
Factory Gears Vs. Racing Gears tire Pre-2005 V6 Mustang 0 07-21-2003 05:02 AM

» Like Us On Facebook



05:14 AM


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0

MustangEvolution.com is in no way associated with or endorsed by Ford Motor Company.