Impact wrench question - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 06-15-2011, 04:23 PM   #1

Region: Alabama
Impact wrench question

I want to get an air compressor and impact wrench for my garage. I plan to use it every once in a while just to get bolts/nuts off i cant get off myself. ( Latest example being the castle nut on a 22 year old ball joint ) How big of an air compressor and impact wrench should i get?? I see impact wrenches range from 200 ftlbs to 600ftlbs roughly and tanks are pretty much the same - itsy bitsy to enormous with various scfm ratings. Also do i need to get different sockets to use with the impact wrench ?? thx for any help -Matt-
matthoffman22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-15-2011, 04:44 PM   #2
Road Trip!

Region: Texas
Send a message via Skype™ to Texastboneking
Quote:
Originally Posted by matthoffman22
I want to get an air compressor and impact wrench for my garage. I plan to use it every once in a while just to get bolts/nuts off i cant get off myself. ( Latest example being the castle nut on a 22 year old ball joint ) How big of an air compressor and impact wrench should i get?? I see impact wrenches range from 200 ftlbs to 600ftlbs roughly and tanks are pretty much the same - itsy bitsy to enormous with various scfm ratings. Also do i need to get different sockets to use with the impact wrench ?? thx for any help -Matt-
You will need impact sockets. A medium compressor is good for the garage. To small and you can only take one bolt off. Then wait for it to charge back up. Then take another off. Takes forever. And are you looking at a 3/8ths drive impact or a 1/2 drive impact
Texastboneking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 04:47 PM   #3

Re: Impact wrench question

I think I want a 1/2 inch drive
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-15-2011, 04:52 PM   #4
Road Trip!

Quote:
I think I want a 1/2 inch drive
You will defiantly want a medium sized compressor. Small ones can't power a 1/2 inch very well. I recommend ingersol rand
Old 06-15-2011, 04:56 PM   #5

Do impact wrenches really work that well for taking off old rusty bolts/nuts? Someone I talked to made it sound like you are better off with a torch and a breaker bar. Then again I don't know what kind of compressor they own...
Old 06-15-2011, 05:00 PM   #6
Road Trip!

Quote:
Do impact wrenches really work that well for taking off old rusty bolts/nuts. Someone I talked to made it sound like you are better off with a torch and a breaker bar. Then again I don't know what kind of compressor they own...
Torch works as long as your not gonna catch something on fire nearby. But an impact is far easyier safer and stronger. The impact will not usually break a bolt off where a breaker bar will. I'm a mechanic and I'll tell you I would use a impact over breaker bar anyday. And he might have gone cheepo on the impact. You can't do that. And make sure to get a good size airline. Not one of those real thin ones.
Old 06-15-2011, 05:04 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texastboneking View Post
Torch works as long as your not gonna catch something on fire nearby. But an impact is far easyier safer and stronger. The impact will not usually break a bolt off where a breaker bar will. I'm a mechanic and I'll tell you I would use a impact over breaker bar anyday. And he might have gone cheepo on the impact. You can't do that. And make sure to get a good size airline. Not one of those real thin ones.
Where do you think I should shop? Sears? So far I have looked at stuff at home depot and lowes and a local joint. 30 gallon big enough you think??
Old 06-15-2011, 05:47 PM   #8
Road Trip!

Region: North Carolina

We have a 100gallon air compressor

and 1/2 drive impact.....also an electric one....
2008Shelby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 06:44 PM   #9
Road Trip!
Supporter

Region: Missouri

I'd get a 60-75 gallon tank with a 5 hp twin cylinder compressor.
That will supply you with enough air for almost anything you want to do.
For an impact I would buy the most powerful 1/2" drive I could afford and a set of long, short and swivel impact sockets.

That's basically what I did 20+ years ago and I have never needed more of either for any build or project I have done. It pays to get the good stuff the first time if you can.
Trojan Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 06:55 PM   #10
Staff
Blogger
Staff

Region: Georgia
Send a message via Skype™ to 99ford

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trojan Horse View Post
I'd get a 60-75 gallon tank with a 5 hp twin cylinder compressor.
That will supply you with enough air for almost anything you want to do.
For an impact I would buy the most powerful 1/2" drive I could afford and a set of long, short and swivel impact sockets.

That's basically what I did 20+ years ago and I have never needed more of either for any build or project I have done. It pays to get the good stuff the first time if you can.

^ 100% agree with Torjan Horse. And not only will a good compressor serve you for the car it also will work wonders on various projects around the house. I couldn't imagine life w/o one. You will not regret buying one.
Old 06-15-2011, 09:09 PM   #11

Region: Massachusetts
Unfortunately I don't have a garage so I don't have that option of a large air compressor (I live by the Texas motto GO BIG OR GO HOME!) Until I can have my garage, I went to Sears and picked up an18 volt high performance 1/2 inch drive cordless impact wrench by craftsman and use it all the time its great for small projects like rotating tires or simply taking off the wheels to clean them( no hoses to trip over).
03gtvert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 09:55 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Mississippi
Send a message via AIM to Knight F Mohawk

Get an impact that's capable of 400 or so, that should do whatever you want

-Will
Old 06-16-2011, 11:53 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California

A medium size compressor is what you need the compressor I have was home made by my gramps and it works pretty good for being about 50 years old.
wereKEV is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT