new 89 5.0 any help - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 06-20-2011, 06:20 PM   #1

Region: Washington
new 89 5.0 any help

Hey what's up I'm new to this site as well to my 89 5.0 lx hatch its pretty much stock on everything and I want to know the best way and cheapest way to get some good power out of it I've already got some 3.73s and I know that doesn't add HP but it sure will feel like it any thing I should do first?
imking89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-20-2011, 06:22 PM   #2
Regular

Region: Tennessee
Re: new 89 5.0 any help

Welcome to the site

Reddit
Brent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 06:23 PM   #3
Road Trip!
Supporter

Region: Missouri

Quote:
Originally Posted by imking89 View Post
Hey what's up I'm new to this site as well to my 89 5.0 lx hatch its pretty much stock on everything and I want to know the best way and cheapest way to get some good power out of it I've already got some 3.73s and I know that doesn't add HP but it sure will feel like it any thing I should do first?
Cheapest HP = Nitrous Injection
Trojan Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-20-2011, 06:30 PM   #4

I really want to try and stay away from nos never been a big fan I want just motor I was thinking roller rockets alm heads heat my crank to harden it up 32 lb injectors but I don't know what I should do first I want 500 HP to the wheels eventually
Old 06-20-2011, 06:36 PM   #5
Loc: Austin,TX
Regular
Supporter

Region: Texas

Welcome aboard!
DDTCM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 06:40 PM   #6
Road Trip!
Supporter

Quote:
I really want to try and stay away from nos never been a big fan I want just motor I was thinking roller rockets alm heads heat my crank to harden it up 32 lb injectors but I don't know what I should do first I want 500 HP to the wheels eventually
500 HP to the wheels is going to require a crapload of N/A mods, nitrous, supercharging or turbocharging.

Start with heads, cam & intake (HCI).
Something like the Holley Systemax kit will net you around 350 HP at the crank.
Add the RR arms to the heads at this time.

Heat your crank to harden it up? What in the world is that?

Choose what you want to do before buying injectors.
Plan on purcahsing a tuner or having it tuned.
Old 06-20-2011, 06:53 PM   #7

Hey a shop around here was talking taking the crank and taking a torch to it heat it up cool it down and reapt a lot supposedly its supposed to help quite a bit but I'm not sure on anything I'm new to this anr its my first project how much would one of those kits run me and do you think that should be my first purchase and is it something I can do in my garage without all kinds of crazy gadgets
Old 06-20-2011, 06:56 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
If you're lookin to make 500rwhp you might have to go with a 347 stroker w a small shot of nitrous!
SlyFox512 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 04:32 AM   #9
Road Trip!
Supporter

Quote:
Hey a shop around here was talking taking the crank and taking a torch to it heat it up cool it down and reapt a lot supposedly its supposed to help quite a bit but I'm not sure on anything I'm new to this anr its my first project how much would one of those kits run me and do you think that should be my first purchase and is it something I can do in my garage without all kinds of crazy gadgets
That's the craziest thing I have ever heard of. I think they are blowing smoke up your rear end. Kind of like "hand me that left handed monkey wrench" or "go to the store and get me two sky hooks".
The "ONLY" thing that's going to do is ruin your crankshaft.

If you don't have any experience, then you will most likely have a really hard time installing a heads, cam and intake kit, but if you pay attention to the details and persevere you can do it.

The first thing you need to do is to buy you a Chilton's or Haynes manual for your car. Buy the better manual that has the complete wiring diagram in case you need it later. Read it, study it, absorb everything you can from it before you ever turn a wrench. A lot of times they will tell you what tools you may need to perform a repair or procedure.

You can perform the install without any gadgets, but you will need a good selection of tools.

The Holley SysteMAX kit. #300-501-1
Note: Apparently this kit has been discontinued or is becoming hard to find.
You will have to call for pricing and availability.

There are lots of other options from AFR, Edelbrock, Trick Flow, etc..
Google search them, call them and tell them what you have and what you want to do. They can best tell you what parts they have that will help you reach your goals.
Old 06-21-2011, 06:42 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trojan Horse

Cheapest HP = Nitrous Injection
When done right it is the most expensive
Old 06-21-2011, 08:25 AM   #11
Road Trip!
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stang.racr View Post
When done right it is the most expensive
Sorry, I disagree.

Nitrous done right is way less expensive than any supercharger or turbo charger system.
Nitrous is touted all over the internet and in ads as being the cheapest way to add horsepower to any vehicle.

Nitrous done wrong however, can lead to very expensive and spectacular engine failures.
Old 06-21-2011, 06:00 PM   #12
Road Trip!

Region: Indiana
nos is definitely the cheapest hp your gonna find .specially if your looking to get 500 rwhp.that is a big task .
dreamstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 06:35 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular
Supporter

Region: Louisiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamstang
nos is definitely the cheapest hp your gonna find .specially if your looking to get 500 rwhp.that is a big task .
It's the cheapest up front but it's not always giving you power and you have to get the bottle refilled when you run out. But it is a nice kick in the butt when you hit that button.

93 GT with more junkyard mods than you can imagine.
90 GT bone stock down to the air filter, awaiting restoration.
Join Mustang Evolution today. Click here
93slowstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 08:04 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trojan Horse

Sorry, I disagree.

Nitrous done right is way less expensive than any supercharger or turbo charger system.
Nitrous is touted all over the internet and in ads as being the cheapest way to add horsepower to any vehicle.

Nitrous done wrong however, can lead to very expensive and spectacular engine failures.
Right now is usually when I would ask if you wanna see my jets and lay out a empty hand, I'm jk with the fact big sprayers go through bottles very very fast
Old 06-21-2011, 08:22 PM   #15
Road Trip!
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stang.racr View Post
Right now is usually when I would ask if you wanna see my jets and lay out a empty hand, I'm jk with the fact big sprayers go through bottles very very fast
I agree that, in time nitrous will cost more with the constant need to refill bottles. I am very familiar with nitrous set ups and use, having worked with my cousin on his strip cars and mud trucks. He is currently running two systems on his mud truck producing just over 1400 HP, and yes he does go through a lot of nitrous.

I was talking about the initial cost of the components.
The whole refilling hassle is what has kept me from ever wanting to even try a nitrous system. To me nitrous is a huge PITA and the possibility of engine damage is much higher than with other forms of "boost".

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT