92 lx peroformance ????'s - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 08-31-2007, 08:02 PM   #1

92 lx peroformance ????'s

Well i orginally was going to build up my car but i said screw it and would rather get out from the monthly payment...so i have somone coming to look at my car tomorrow with alot of other people interested. A guy from my car club offered to sell me his DD 92 lx with 160k on the clock but in great condition already has minor work but has a tko 500/600!

Well my question is what route should i go...i am lover of all motor/sc/ and turbos! so either works for me! this will also be my DD and i will be building it with realiablility in mind! so...

I cant figure out what i should go with the 302 stage 2 heads and cams. Build the bottom end...which if anyone understands that route please explain becuase i dont much understand the fundimentals of the bottom end build! And then getting a bustom gt40 single turbo kit on the car, with a DD setting of 7-8psi and a all out 14psi!

OR

Go with a 331 all motor, bottom end(again please try and explain this), heads, cams, headers, ignition, and etc.! all motor!

OR

#2 with a s/c!

Also i am looking for something that falls in the range of 500-550rwhp! but like i said i am building reliable! so i will at first be doing the suspension, rear end and traction issue parts first! then going over the transmission for alum driveshaft, better flywheel and clutch! then moving on into the motor for power!

thanks
mike
Advertisement

Old 09-01-2007, 01:13 AM   #2
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: California
Send a message via AIM to MonteCitan
Re: 92 lx peroformance ????'s

Bottom end work in a 302 typically means better crank/rods/pistons, and a slight cylinder bore, if you want to know specifics/ companies/cost/etc let me/us know..

as it sits now, even with 160k miles, that car should be a solid and reliable DD, esp with the new trans already, I had an 89 LX as a DD for several years.. sold it with 184k miles on the clock, a ton of track passes, and it was extremely reliable, didn't have to do much more than preventative maintenance...

with a fox, though... just be ready to deal with the little problems you get with a car that's 12+ years old.. noises/rattles/electrical gremlins/etc.. --

Also all motor with a 331.. good luck at the 500 HP range.. you'd need sweet heads, a high RPM cam/ intake/etc -- in that range it'd be best to go with an aftermarket block (dart/etc) which all adds up cost-wise.. many people have okay luck with great power out of a 302 block, but if the block decides to go at 6500 RPMs, all your pricey internals may go with it..

FWIW, on a loaded dyno my 331 (still using iron heads) put down 348 ft lbs/310 HP -- silverstangboy on here I'm sure is a bit higher than that, as he's got AFR heads... but we're no where's near that HP mark all motor...
Old 09-01-2007, 06:05 AM   #3

so for a turboed car....that can be turned up to 6500rpms should i get a stronger block?
Advertisement

Old 09-01-2007, 01:02 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: South Carolina

Quote:
Originally Posted by TransAxle View Post
so for a turboed car....that can be turned up to 6500rpms should i get a stronger block?
If I was going to build a 302 I would get a stronger block. Theres Dart of course and the new Ford Racing Boss block goes for around $1,700 or so if I'm not mistaking.
JROC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2007, 01:21 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by JROC View Post
If I was going to build a 302 I would get a stronger block. Theres Dart of course and the new Ford Racing Boss block goes for around $1,700 or so if I'm not mistaking.
so would getting the dart block basically be considered a rebuilt bottom....

what i mean is if i got at one timt eh dart black and stage 2 heads and cam, that would be suffient for the internals of the motor for a turbo or s/c?
Old 09-01-2007, 01:38 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: South Carolina

Quote:
Originally Posted by TransAxle View Post
so would getting the dart block basically be considered a rebuilt bottom....

what i mean is if i got at one timt eh dart black and stage 2 heads and cam, that would be suffient for the internals of the motor for a turbo or s/c?
Dart just makes blocks and head and maybe a few other things, but you might can buy an already built motor from them, but I'm not really sure.

http://www.dartheads.com/fordiron.aspx

If your looking for a good shortblock then try D.S.S, or CHP.

http://www.dssracing.com/

CHP short block long blocks engines crate motors

If you got money to spend, this might be a nice motor for you.

CHP-We Build Horsepower!
JROC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2007, 03:07 PM   #7

naw i figured out what i am going to do i am going to build the 302 to hold 10-12psi 2.2 KB system! so most liekly a new block heads and a cam! and then the KB should make for some good power!
Old 09-01-2007, 08:33 PM   #8
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: California
Send a message via AIM to MonteCitan

KB :drool: my 92's begging for boost...
Old 09-06-2007, 12:02 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama

if your going to build the bottom end all nice and hefty then why not throw in a 347 kit as well?

honestly, why not, you'll be putting some expensive parts in there already.
use the shorter rod kit if you don't trust your machinist all that well.

93 mustang notch
~450hp 331 stroker - Sold
silverstangboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2007, 06:10 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Mississippi

I wouldn't even bother with a stock 302 based block if you plan on going FI. Find you an 67-74 351W block, get a retro kit for roller conversion, then get a good hydraulic roller lifter/rocker setup, new timing chain, rods, pistons crank, good heads, and so on and go on up from there... Or like JROC said go with a DART block or the new BOSS Block... with the small block pushrod Ford motors, it's just like this, how fast you want to go is how much money you want to spend... There are so many options it's not even funny.

Bottom end is considered to me as being the crank rods pistons, upper being the heads, rockers, valves, valvesprings and so on. The block, is just called the block.
Old 09-07-2007, 07:20 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee

Just upgraded to 347 in my 92 GT. It's not that much more than a stock rebuild if you shop carefully. Although I don't drive it every day, I could. With the X303 it idles between 750 and 800 rpm. The air works and with the 13" brakes it stops as good as it goes. It doesn't have to be super radical to put a smile on your face!

Good luck with your build.
Jim

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT