lowering kits? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 06-22-2011, 12:54 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular
 
08v6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Region: Canada
Posts: 27
lowering kits?

What's the best way to lower a fox car? I don't want to slam it, just drop it a lil and I want it to be a comfortable ride as well
__________________
Faster Than A Speeding Ticket! Black 88 Five0, Pull Me Over Red 08v6
08v6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 06-22-2011, 07:28 PM   #2
Road Trip!
Supporter
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Region: Missouri
Posts: 8,779
Re: lowering kits?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 08v6 View Post
What's the best way to lower a fox car? I don't want to slam it, just drop it a lil and I want it to be a comfortable ride as well
Well you can low buck lower it by heating the top spring coils with a torch.
BUT it may have negative effects on ride quality and it is difficult to get them all the same.

Your best bet is to use new lowering springs.
American Muscle has these available and you may get a price break from being a member here.
Trojan Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 08:17 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular
 
SpectorV's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Region: Alabama
Posts: 26,049
Send a message via AIM to SpectorV
Re: lowering kits?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trojan Horse View Post
Well you can low buck lower it by heating the top spring coils with a torch.
BUT it may have negative effects on ride quality and it is difficult to get them all the same.

Your best bet is to use new lowering springs.
American Muscle has these available and you may get a price break from being a member here.
never heat up springs to lower them ever, Cut them or replace them. I would recommend getting new springs, ford C springs work and can be cut to get the drop you want.
__________________
2003 Cobra Vert (Redfire) #3938 of 5082 @ 05/27/2003
472rwhp/493rwtq -Modification List - Dyno Sheet
2012 Mustang 3.7L M6 (Kona Blue)
2011 Ford Edge Sport (Red Metallic)
SpectorV is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 06-23-2011, 05:28 PM   #4
Road Trip!
Supporter
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Region: Missouri
Posts: 8,779
Re: lowering kits?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpectorV View Post
never heat up springs to lower them ever, Cut them or replace them.
You know, I have heard this many times over the years, but no one has ever been able to explain why not.
Can you?

I have seen it done quite a few times and the worst thing that ever happened was the ride got a bit rougher when doing that to a variable or progressive rate spring. With the constant or linear rate springs there wasn't any difference other than the reduced travel.
Trojan Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 09:20 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular
Supporter
 
93slowstang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Walker
Region: Louisiana
Posts: 3,436
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trojan Horse

You know, I have heard this many times over the years, but no one has ever been able to explain why not.
Can you?

I have seen it done quite a few times and the worst thing that ever happened was the ride got a bit rougher when doing that to a variable or progressive rate spring. With the constant or linear rate springs there wasn't any difference other than the reduced travel.
Well other than the obvious problem with getting them even you are messing with the temperament of the coil. After it cools down it is still significantly softer than the rest of the spring and will be more prone to breaking at that point.
__________________


93 GT with more junkyard mods than you can imagine.
90 GT bone stock down to the air filter, awaiting restoration.
Join Mustang Evolution today. Click here
93slowstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 09:28 PM   #6
Road Trip!
Supporter
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Region: Missouri
Posts: 8,779
Re: lowering kits?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 93slowstang View Post
Well other than the obvious problem with getting them even you are messing with the temperament of the coil. After it cools down it is still significantly softer than the rest of the spring and will be more prone to breaking at that point.
Yep, I've heard that too.
Getting them even is a problem.
Yes, I know you are taking the temper/hardness out of the spring.
That is how you get it to lower your ride height.
I've never seen or even heard or read about one breaking from doing that though.
I have however seen a spring that had never been tampered with break.
Trojan Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 09:30 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular
Supporter
 
93slowstang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Walker
Region: Louisiana
Posts: 3,436
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trojan Horse

Yep, I've heard that too.
Getting them even is a problem.
Yes, I know you are taking the temper/hardness out of the spring.
That is how you get it to lower your ride height.
I've never seen or even heard or read about one breaking from doing that though.
I have however seen a spring that had never been tampered with break.
My friend had one snap on his 99 that had been heated, he only had the car for a couple of months and luckily only blew the back tire.
__________________


93 GT with more junkyard mods than you can imagine.
90 GT bone stock down to the air filter, awaiting restoration.
Join Mustang Evolution today. Click here
93slowstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 09:35 PM   #8
Road Trip!
Supporter
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Region: Missouri
Posts: 8,779
Re: lowering kits?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 93slowstang View Post
My friend had one snap on his 99 that had been heated, he only had the car for a couple of months and luckily only blew the back tire.
That's the first one I have heard of.
Years ago before there were lowering kits or special springs, thousands of rodders did it all the time and you never heard of one failing.
Trojan Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 09:39 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular
Supporter
 
93slowstang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Walker
Region: Louisiana
Posts: 3,436
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trojan Horse
That's the first one I have heard of.
Years ago before there were lowering kits or special springs, thousands of rodders did it all the time and you never heard of one failing.
Yeah that's how my uncle had his gto lowered back in the day. I believe it's more about how the springs are made and the alloys used today compared to 20 years ago.
__________________


93 GT with more junkyard mods than you can imagine.
90 GT bone stock down to the air filter, awaiting restoration.
Join Mustang Evolution today. Click here
93slowstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 09:57 PM   #10
Road Trip!
Supporter
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Region: Missouri
Posts: 8,779
Re: lowering kits?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 93slowstang View Post
Yeah that's how my uncle had his gto lowered back in the day. I believe it's more about how the springs are made and the alloys used today compared to 20 years ago.
You may have a point there.
I suppose there are differences in the alloys used and the hardening process.
Still, I wouldn't be afraid to try it on a stock set of springs.
Trojan Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 10:07 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular
Supporter
 
93slowstang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Walker
Region: Louisiana
Posts: 3,436
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trojan Horse

You may have a point there.
I suppose there are differences in the alloys used and the hardening process.
Still, I wouldn't be afraid to try it on a stock set of springs.
I think it would do, especially as a trial to see how far you wanna drop it. I dropped mine 2in.
__________________


93 GT with more junkyard mods than you can imagine.
90 GT bone stock down to the air filter, awaiting restoration.
Join Mustang Evolution today. Click here
93slowstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 10:08 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular
Supporter
 
93slowstang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Walker
Region: Louisiana
Posts: 3,436
Quote:
Originally Posted by 93slowstang

I think it would do, especially as a trial to see how far you wanna drop it. I dropped mine 2in.
Using drop springs
__________________


93 GT with more junkyard mods than you can imagine.
90 GT bone stock down to the air filter, awaiting restoration.
Join Mustang Evolution today. Click here
93slowstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 10:53 PM   #13
Road Trip!
Supporter
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Region: Missouri
Posts: 8,779
Re: lowering kits?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 93slowstang View Post
Using drop springs
From how far up did you have to "drop" them to get 2"?
Trojan Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 10:57 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular
Supporter
 
93slowstang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Walker
Region: Louisiana
Posts: 3,436
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trojan Horse

From how far up did you have to "drop" them to get 2"?
Went from stock height. I did buy the 2" drop springs a few weeks after I "dropped it".
__________________


93 GT with more junkyard mods than you can imagine.
90 GT bone stock down to the air filter, awaiting restoration.
Join Mustang Evolution today. Click here
93slowstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 11:44 PM   #15
Road Trip!
Supporter
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Region: Missouri
Posts: 8,779
Re: lowering kits?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 93slowstang View Post
Went from stock height. I did buy the 2" drop springs a few weeks after I "dropped it".
Nice "stance", any trouble with anything rubbing or hitting the ground over bumps?
Trojan Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 12:08 AM   #16
Registered Member
Regular
Supporter
 
93slowstang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Walker
Region: Louisiana
Posts: 3,436
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trojan Horse

Nice "stance", any trouble with anything rubbing or hitting the ground over bumps?
If I hit a bump while turning the front tires will rub a little. I left some of the negative camber because of the 225/45 in the front, but I love how the tires are tucked under the fender wells. I also run a 275/45 in the back with no rubbing issues at all.
__________________


93 GT with more junkyard mods than you can imagine.
90 GT bone stock down to the air filter, awaiting restoration.
Join Mustang Evolution today. Click here
93slowstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 12:30 AM   #17
Road Trip!
Supporter
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Region: Missouri
Posts: 8,779
Re: lowering kits?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 93slowstang View Post
If I hit a bump while turning the front tires will rub a little. I left some of the negative camber because of the 225/45 in the front, but I love how the tires are tucked under the fender wells. I also run a 275/45 in the back with no rubbing issues at all.
I am considering changing my 86 from a street/strip suspension to more of a road race suspension and lowering will be part of the change.
That info will help me decide how much to lower and tire sizes I can use.
Trojan Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 06:11 AM   #18
Registered Member
Regular
Supporter
 
93slowstang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Walker
Region: Louisiana
Posts: 3,436
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trojan Horse

I am considering changing my 86 from a street/strip suspension to more of a road race suspension and lowering will be part of the change.
That info will help me decide how much to lower and tire sizes I can use.
I love how it looks and the handling is night and day but I do feel every bump in the road. Also I have 17" wheels.
__________________


93 GT with more junkyard mods than you can imagine.
90 GT bone stock down to the air filter, awaiting restoration.
Join Mustang Evolution today. Click here
93slowstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 10:29 PM   #19
Road Trip!
Supporter
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Region: Missouri
Posts: 8,779
Re: lowering kits?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 93slowstang View Post
I love how it looks and the handling is night and day but I do feel every bump in the road. Also I have 17" wheels.
Hmmm, That's something I will have to consider.
When I was younger it wouldn't have bothered me, but now after two spine injuries I have to be a bit more careful.

Thanks for the input.
Trojan Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 11:45 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular
 
mustangbill00's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Region: Michigan
Posts: 136
Stick with a progressive rate spring and a good shock that can be adjusted to a soft setting. Mine rides pretty decent with the Eibac's and adjustable shocks BUT, the soft setting let's the suspension travel farther and makes it more prone to hitting the K-member brace on high spots in the road.
mustangbill00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 02:34 AM   #21
Registered Member
Regular
Supporter
 
93slowstang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Walker
Region: Louisiana
Posts: 3,436
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trojan Horse

Hmmm, That's something I will have to consider.
When I was younger it wouldn't have bothered me, but now after two spine injuries I have to be a bit more careful.

Thanks for the input.
NP, I have back problems after a head on collision and it's not too bad of a ride, but I have to slow down a lot for the bigger bumps. Had to sacrifice ride quality for the look and handling I wanted. I believe a 1.5 drop would be more than sufficient while still maintaining some ride quality.
__________________


93 GT with more junkyard mods than you can imagine.
90 GT bone stock down to the air filter, awaiting restoration.
Join Mustang Evolution today. Click here
93slowstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 06:15 PM   #22
Road Trip!
Supporter
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Region: Missouri
Posts: 8,779
Re: lowering kits?

Deal on some lowering springs - LRS
Trojan Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 11:49 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular
Supporter
 
93slowstang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Walker
Region: Louisiana
Posts: 3,436
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trojan Horse
Deal on some lowering springs - LRS
That's a damn good deal.
__________________


93 GT with more junkyard mods than you can imagine.
90 GT bone stock down to the air filter, awaiting restoration.
Join Mustang Evolution today. Click here
93slowstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 08:56 AM   #24
Titus Wadicus
Regular
 
svtlx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Region: Ohio
Posts: 2,103
Send a message via Yahoo to svtlx
Re: lowering kits?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 93slowstang View Post
That's a damn good deal.
that is an awsome deal.... i paid $79 shipped for my 2" drop springs from ebay.

the "suspension starter kit" is a real good deal too. i paid close to that for my rear control arms alone....
__________________

bbk ssi, 70ml t.b., bbk adj.reg., bd11-a 11psi, e-cam,
racing aod, 2700 stall, 3.42 gears, ported e7, 308ci, 1.7rr, comp .560valve springs, gear drive, high dwell module, msd 6a & coil, bbk off road xpipe, mac cat back, 30lbs inj, pro-m 90mm, welded subframe connectors, boxed upper & lower trailing arms, spherical axle bushings, 255/50/16 tires, 255lph pump, 456hp
svtlx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 11:34 AM   #25
Registered Member
Regular
 
wc3john's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Region: Texas
Posts: 692
Re: lowering kits?

I wish I could find a good deal on shocks and struts for my gt, eibachs are staggering $450!
__________________


I chug syrup for money...
wc3john is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 11:03 PM   #26
Titus Wadicus
Regular
 
svtlx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Region: Ohio
Posts: 2,103
Send a message via Yahoo to svtlx
Re: lowering kits?

Quote:
Originally Posted by wc3john View Post
I wish I could find a good deal on shocks and struts for my gt, eibachs are staggering $450!
i found a decent deal on sum kyb's off of ebay...
__________________

bbk ssi, 70ml t.b., bbk adj.reg., bd11-a 11psi, e-cam,
racing aod, 2700 stall, 3.42 gears, ported e7, 308ci, 1.7rr, comp .560valve springs, gear drive, high dwell module, msd 6a & coil, bbk off road xpipe, mac cat back, 30lbs inj, pro-m 90mm, welded subframe connectors, boxed upper & lower trailing arms, spherical axle bushings, 255/50/16 tires, 255lph pump, 456hp
svtlx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 11:33 PM   #27
Registered Member
Regular
 
03GT88's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Region: Mississippi
Posts: 532
Let me know how those ebay springs work out.
03GT88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 01:17 AM   #28
Registered Member
Regular
 
wc3john's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Region: Texas
Posts: 692
Re: lowering kits?

Quote:
Originally Posted by svtlx View Post
i found a decent deal on sum kyb's off of ebay...
how much did you get them for?
__________________


I chug syrup for money...
wc3john is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 09:56 AM   #29
Titus Wadicus
Regular
 
svtlx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Region: Ohio
Posts: 2,103
Send a message via Yahoo to svtlx
Re: lowering kits?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 03GT88 View Post
Let me know how those ebay springs work out.
they're installed, but the car is still on stands at the moment. i got them cause another member in here recommended them... he's got them on his '01 and loves them.
__________________

bbk ssi, 70ml t.b., bbk adj.reg., bd11-a 11psi, e-cam,
racing aod, 2700 stall, 3.42 gears, ported e7, 308ci, 1.7rr, comp .560valve springs, gear drive, high dwell module, msd 6a & coil, bbk off road xpipe, mac cat back, 30lbs inj, pro-m 90mm, welded subframe connectors, boxed upper & lower trailing arms, spherical axle bushings, 255/50/16 tires, 255lph pump, 456hp
svtlx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 09:59 AM   #30
Titus Wadicus
Regular
 
svtlx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Region: Ohio
Posts: 2,103
Send a message via Yahoo to svtlx
Re: lowering kits?

Quote:
Originally Posted by wc3john View Post
how much did you get them for?
i cant remember, but i know it was under 300. they offered an lx kit, and a quad shock kit for gt's
__________________

bbk ssi, 70ml t.b., bbk adj.reg., bd11-a 11psi, e-cam,
racing aod, 2700 stall, 3.42 gears, ported e7, 308ci, 1.7rr, comp .560valve springs, gear drive, high dwell module, msd 6a & coil, bbk off road xpipe, mac cat back, 30lbs inj, pro-m 90mm, welded subframe connectors, boxed upper & lower trailing arms, spherical axle bushings, 255/50/16 tires, 255lph pump, 456hp
svtlx is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT

« top | speakers »
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Suggested lowering kits poloka 2011-2014 Mustang GT 11 05-20-2011 10:54 AM
Lowering my 04 GT Talon 1996-2004 Mustang GT 13 07-15-2009 09:02 PM
lowering? 96cobra 1996-2004 Mustang GT 17 04-08-2009 12:04 PM
Body Kits, Body Kits, Body Kits! *DUW* *WW* Dom Mustang Audio & Video 75 02-01-2004 08:11 PM

» Like Us On Facebook



06:54 AM


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0

MustangEvolution.com is in no way associated with or endorsed by Ford Motor Company.