1989 mustang motor knock - Page 2 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 07-03-2011, 11:26 PM   #36
Road Trip!
Supporter

Region: Missouri
Re: 1989 mustang motor knock

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbolden50 View Post
Yes they looked good when I took it off I was thinking that seems like a small thing make a real big problem but he was telling me stuff that I didn't post that was happen to my car and it sounds like the same thing I'm going to check the flywheel when I take it apart most likely tomorrow
Did you spin the pushrods or just look at them?
I ask because I bent a pushrod on an old 390 FE engine once and it was S-shaped.
You couldn't tell by looking at it that anything was wrong, but when I spun it with my fingers it was easy to tell it was bent.

He may be right, but from what I hear it sounds like the knock occurs with the firing pulse of the engine. The rattles and clicks may be from a rod end swinging free in the bottom end.

We all hope that it is something inexpensive to fix though.
Trojan Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-16-2011, 10:58 PM   #37
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
I'm going to check the rods tomorrow so I should just try to spin it and see if it's bent I took apart the tranny and flywheel today no marks down there how can I check the crankshaft I was also thinking I got my flywheel resurfaced the shop took the pins out could they have put them in the wrong holes and put the clutch off center and making the motor shake and knock or threw the weight off by resurfacing
kbolden50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 11:09 PM   #38
Registered Member
Regular

Also what would I have to change to fit a 351 in it think that's what I'm do if I have a bad crankshaft and how can changing your clutch mess your crankshaft or can someone tell me what they think happen thanks for all the replays and ideas
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-16-2011, 11:36 PM   #39
Road Trip!
Supporter

Quote:
I'm going to check the rods tomorrow so I should just try to spin it and see if it's bent I took apart the tranny and flywheel today no marks down there how can I check the crankshaft I was also thinking I got my flywheel resurfaced the shop took the pins out could they have put them in the wrong holes and put the clutch off center and making the motor shake and knock or threw the weight off by resurfacing
You can turn the engine with a large ratchet or breaker bar and a socket.
Turn it in the normal operating direction and listen for noises and feel for any catches or unnatural movements. Pulling the engine and removing the oil plan will probably be the next step.

Carefully grab the flywheel pull, push and try moving it side to side and see if it wobbles. Do the same with the balancer. If there is no discernable movement, then pull the balancer and make sure it has the correct balance weight and that it is not cracked, broken or that the outer ring has not slipped. Also make sure you have the correct balance weight on the flywheel.

I don't think the clutch was off center. If it was you would not be able to install the transmission because the input shaft would not line up with the pilot bearing.
Old 07-17-2011, 12:02 AM   #40
Registered Member
Regular

Ok when I took it apart today I moved the flywheel and turned it and in felt good turn good I'm take off the balancer tomorrow and look for crack would you happen to know what one I should have I'm going to check the numbers on the block to see what it came out of
Old 07-17-2011, 12:09 AM   #41
Road Trip!
Supporter

Quote:
Also what would I have to change to fit a 351 in it think that's what I'm do if I have a bad crankshaft and how can changing your clutch mess your crankshaft or can someone tell me what they think happen thanks for all the replays and ideas
Check this link 351W Swap for swap information.

Hard telling exactly what happened and it may have nothing to do with changing the clutch. You may have had something about to let go and it just did at that time.
Old 07-17-2011, 12:12 AM   #42
Road Trip!
Supporter

Quote:
Ok when I took it apart today I moved the flywheel and turned it and in felt good turn good I'm take off the balancer tomorrow and look for crack would you happen to know what one I should have I'm going to check the numbers on the block to see what it came out of
You need the 50 oz. imbalance balancer and flywheel for a stock 5.0
Old 07-27-2011, 12:32 AM   #43
Registered Member
Regular

I tried to move flywheel didn't have play in it up or down side to side main pulley felt good I can turn motor fine I got my flywheel resurfaced could he have took to much off or made it off balanced and it's throwing the motor balance off and the knock is form something hitting form the motor moving just want to see what you guys think before I put more money in to the car
Old 07-27-2011, 01:07 AM   #44
Road Trip!
Supporter

I had a 78 King Cobra Mustang that developed a knock.
We finally traced it down to a cracked/broken harmonic balancer.

Not finding anything there, you will probably have to start tearing into the engine and inspecting internal parts.

Resurfacing the flywheel should actually help the engine balance a bit.
It smooths out the mating surface and takes the "wiggle" out.

That's not to say that the person who resurfaced it knows what they were doing. If they mounted it into the resurfacing machine crooked and cut it that way it could very well be "out of balance" now. However that should have been noticable on the machine.
Old 07-27-2011, 01:49 AM   #45
Registered Member
Regular

Guess it's got to happen really hopping it wasn't that but im start taking motor apart get a gasket kit and change ever thing if the motor is still good
Old 07-27-2011, 02:05 AM   #46
Road Trip!
Supporter

Quote:
Guess it's got to happen really hopping it wasn't that but im start taking motor apart get a gasket kit and change ever thing if the motor is still good
I had another thought to share with you.
I've also seen 302 Ford engines break a piston skirt a few times when they were over revved too. It makes for a pretty loud knock.
Maybe that's all it is.

Best of luck to you.
Old 07-29-2011, 03:57 PM   #47
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trojan Horse

I had another thought to share with you.
I've also seen 302 Ford engines break a piston skirt a few times when they were over revved too. It makes for a pretty loud knock.
Maybe that's all it is.

Best of luck to you.
I took the value covers off and turned the rods looks good movement could I just lift the motor and take the oil pan off and check the crankshaft and piston rods
Old 07-29-2011, 05:00 PM   #48
Road Trip!
Supporter

Quote:
I took the value covers off and turned the rods looks good movement could I just lift the motor and take the oil pan off and check the crankshaft and piston rods
You could, but you won't be able to check everything properly.
After a visual inspection of the rotating assembly, the next step would be to pull the rod and main bearing caps and check the bearings, which would be much easier to do on an engine stand.

If you havent found anything wrong with the flywheel, clutch, balancer or valvetrain the problem almost has to be in the rotating assembly.
Old 07-29-2011, 09:28 PM   #49
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trojan Horse

You could, but you won't be able to check everything properly.
After a visual inspection of the rotating assembly, the next step would be to pull the rod and main bearing caps and check the bearings, which would be much easier to do on an engine stand.

If you havent found anything wrong with the flywheel, clutch, balancer or valvetrain the problem almost has to be in the rotating assembly.
Ok I'm gust going to get a new flywheel and the transmission seperator plate before I take the motor out autozone has a flywheel for 55$ do you think it will hold up I really didn't want to get it seemed cheap and a flywheel braking off and killing someone or a motorcraft one for 155 and I know motorcarft is good
Old 07-29-2011, 11:10 PM   #50
Road Trip!
Supporter

Quote:
Ok I'm gust going to get a new flywheel and the transmission seperator plate before I take the motor out autozone has a flywheel for 55$ do you think it will hold up I really didn't want to get it seemed cheap and a flywheel braking off and killing someone or a motorcraft one for 155 and I know motorcarft is good
Well the way I look at it, cheap parts are always subject to premature failure from substandard materials and manufacturing, so the choice is yours to make.
Old 08-28-2011, 02:03 AM   #51
Registered Member
Regular

Got a new flywheel and pilot bearing I installed everything today tomorrow pipes go on started today didn't hear knock but the x pipes are loud without mufflers so tomorrow I'm going to get some gas and hook up the mufflers and update
Old 08-28-2011, 04:03 AM   #52
Road Trip!
Supporter

Quote:
Got a new flywheel and pilot bearing I installed everything today tomorrow pipes go on started today didn't hear knock but the x pipes are loud without mufflers so tomorrow I'm going to get some gas and hook up the mufflers and update
Good idea.
I had open exhaust hide a bad knock in a 429 once.
Once I put the mufflers on and could hear it, it made me sick.
I had just spent over $3k overhauling the engine.
Luckily, it was just a substandard sized TRW piston that was improperly marked form the factory.
Old 08-28-2011, 11:47 PM   #53
Registered Member
Regular

So today hooked everything back on for the most part knock seems to be gone but now motor was shaking I think it's from ecu it need to reprogram it self I had the battery out didn't want it to die
Old 09-05-2011, 01:02 AM   #54
Registered Member
Regular

So just took the motor out was going to rebuild the bottom end and I find that two piston rods broke off and cracked the block broke the oil pump rod oil pan bent out I think I can fix the pan looks like I'm looking for a motor
Old 09-05-2011, 01:21 AM   #55
Registered Member
Regular
Supporter

Region: Louisiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbolden50
So just took the motor out was going to rebuild the bottom end and I find that two piston rods broke off and cracked the block broke the oil pump rod oil pan bent out I think I can fix the pan looks like I'm looking for a motor
Goin budget or going stroker?

93 GT with more junkyard mods than you can imagine.
90 GT bone stock down to the air filter, awaiting restoration.
Join Mustang Evolution today. Click here
93slowstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 02:02 AM   #56
Road Trip!
Supporter

Quote:
I was afraid you might find something like that.

What is your budget for a new engine?
Old 09-06-2011, 02:10 AM   #57
Registered Member
Regular

budget open to ideas kinda thinking 351 but if i go more motor im going to have to upgrade the brake system im pushing it with the 302 and 2.3 mustang brake system im going to upgrade pads for better stopping but tell me what you think 302 wise
Old 09-06-2011, 02:51 AM   #58
Road Trip!
Supporter

Quote:
budget open to ideas kinda thinking 351 but if i go more motor im going to have to upgrade the brake system im pushing it with the 302 and 2.3 mustang brake system im going to upgrade pads for better stopping but tell me what you think 302 wise
My personal preference will always be the 351W. You get a much stronger and better bottom end to build some HP on.

Next Choice would be the 331 Stroker built from a 302 engine.

Bottom budget build would be a junkyard 5.0 HO engine/rebuild.
Old 09-06-2011, 12:18 PM   #59
Registered Member
Regular

This shop in Hayward CA sells 5.0 motor rebuild for 500 I've heard they do a good job on the rebuild it's a complete rebuild from top end to the bottom end they had a cobra motor for 550 gt40 heads e303 cobra intake sounds like a good deal to me and if I get a motor and rebuild it my self I'm going to spend more than 600 on a rebuild the right way i have a 302 block that I have form a different build I was thinking about rebuilding just because I trust my work over someone I don't know the motor I had in the car that broke I just put in and it was someone else's work and that didn't turn out to good I know I will need these things for the rebuild
Gasket kit piston rings ARP bolts bearings for crankshaft crankshaft polish heads cleaned and tested for cracks hot the block is that sound like everything I should do to it
Old 09-06-2011, 07:07 PM   #60
Road Trip!

Those prices seem real low the cobra intake cam and gt40 parts run more than that
tbonestang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 11:29 PM   #61
Registered Member
Regular

That's what I was saying intake alone 400 heads another 350
Old 09-07-2011, 01:28 AM   #62
Registered Member
Regular

Also wanted to ask where are the numbers on the block and heads and how can I tell if there gt40 heads I know the different intakes
Old 09-07-2011, 01:51 AM   #63
Registered Member
Regular
Supporter

gt40 has 3 bars on the front of the heads, gt40p has 4 bars.

Old 09-07-2011, 01:54 AM   #64
Registered Member
Regular
Supporter

First is gt 40, second pic is gt40 p
Attached Images

Old 09-07-2011, 01:56 AM   #65
Registered Member
Regular
Supporter

Well the close up is the standard gt 40, I think it posted the pics backwards.

Old 09-07-2011, 07:40 PM   #66
Registered Member
Regular

Ok thank you going to take a look at it today tell you guys what I find
Old 09-11-2011, 09:10 AM   #67
Road Trip!
Supporter

Quote:
I know I will need these things for the rebuild
Gasket kit piston rings ARP bolts bearings for crankshaft crankshaft polish heads cleaned and tested for cracks hot the block is that sound like everything I should do to it
I have a list in PDF form from a school that lists what you need to do for a rebuild.

If you want a copy of the PDF file, email me through my profile contact info so I can get your email address to send it to.

P.S. Tell me what you want in the email so I don't get it confused with another.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT

Tags
1989 mustang