Molding paint - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 07-03-2011, 11:23 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: South Carolina
Molding paint

I don't know if anybody has noticed...but my bumper isn't stock and it came with factory white paint without clearcoat. I was wondering if I should put some masking tape on it, sand the lines in the molding down, and spray paint it back, and then clearcoat it? I'm probably not painting the car soon but I'd like for it to match. But then I'd have to do the upper pin stripe as well..
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2877508360.png
Views:	130
Size:	661.8 KB
ID:	28595  
Qwik Four Six is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-03-2011, 11:41 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kentucky
Give it a shot, worst case scenario paint it back to flat right?
Old 07-03-2011, 11:47 AM   #3
Road Trip!
Supporter

Region: Missouri
Re: Molding paint

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blb97stang View Post
I don't know if anybody has noticed...but my bumper isn't stock and it came with factory white paint without clearcoat. I was wondering if I should put some masking tape on it, sand the lines in the molding down, and spray paint it back, and then clearcoat it? I'm probably not painting the car soon but I'd like for it to match. But then I'd have to do the upper pin stripe as well..
That would help the paint last longer and keep it from turning chalky from UV damage.
Be sure to use UV resistant clear and add some flex agent to the paint and clearcoat to keep it from cracking.

The black stripe on the moulding section can be purchased in tape form or painted on as you desire.
Trojan Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-03-2011, 12:03 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trojan Horse

That would help the paint last longer and keep it from turning chalky from UV damage.
Be sure to use UV resistant clear and add some flex agent to the paint and clearcoat to keep it from cracking.

The black stripe on the moulding section can be purchased in tape form or painted on as you desire.
I'll probably just buy the tape and redo it all. But I was going to use spray paint...what do you mean by flex agent?
Old 07-03-2011, 12:16 PM   #5
Road Trip!
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blb97stang View Post
I'll probably just buy the tape and redo it all. But I was going to use spray paint...what do you mean by flex agent?
It is an additive used in automotive paints when painting urethane or other flexible parts. It keeps the paint flexible so it doesn't crack when the urethane flexes or bends.
If you use spray can paint, it is going to crack.
Unless you are able to find spray can paint that has the flex agent in it.
Old 07-03-2011, 04:06 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Wisconsin
For the stripe it is my opinion that you would not need any flex agent. A lot of painters don't even use flex anymore with the new paint compounds. I think you would be fine masking it off and using a red 3m scuff pad and painting it. Tape is going to eventually peel from sun heating it. Worse thing with paint that could happen would be to have to scuff it again and repaint. Just my 2 cents.
SleepingStang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 04:08 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Oh alright.
Old 07-03-2011, 04:50 PM   #8
Road Trip!
Supporter

[QUOTE=SleepingStang;924681]For the stripe it is my opinion that you would not need any flex agent. A lot of painters don't even use flex anymore with the new paint compounds.[QUOTE]

Really

We have 5 automotive painters in my area. Every one of them uses the flex agent on urethane parts except for one. Needless to say, his paint jobs on urethane bumpers did not last and cracked all over within a year at best.
Can you guess which painter is out of business now?

Having been involved in numerous paint jobs myself, I would advise using the flex agent or a paint that is formulated for use on urethane.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT