Cooling fan and AC problem, please help - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 07-08-2011, 04:41 PM   #1

Region: Ohio
Cooling fan and AC problem, please help

I have a 95 GTS with a 5.0, it has an electric fan. The blade broke loose on the fan causing it to seize up. Instead of tripping a breaker it melted the fan motor. I got a new fan assembly and installed it but I have no power getting to the fan now. I have tested the fan and made sure that it works. My A/C compressor stopped working at the same time so I am convince that the problem is related. The wiring harness for the cooling fan looks like the ground wire nearly melted. I checked the CCRM, all relays in it are activating, just to be on the safe side I even bought one from a junk yard and tried it. I have also checked the harness comming into the CCRM and there is power getting to it. Also there is no power getting to the 10a fuse for the fan in the fuse box. I tried jumping power to it but still no luck. I cant figure out why there is no power going to that 10a fuse, and why the fan and ac compressor are not working. Somebody please help.
95GTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-08-2011, 05:25 PM   #2
Road Trip!
Supporter

Region: Missouri
Re: Cooling fan and AC problem, please help

Quote:
Originally Posted by 95GTS View Post
I have a 95 GTS with a 5.0, it has an electric fan. The blade broke loose on the fan causing it to seize up. Instead of tripping a breaker it melted the fan motor. I got a new fan assembly and installed it but I have no power getting to the fan now. I have tested the fan and made sure that it works. My A/C compressor stopped working at the same time so I am convince that the problem is related. The wiring harness for the cooling fan looks like the ground wire nearly melted. I checked the CCRM, all relays in it are activating, just to be on the safe side I even bought one from a junk yard and tried it. I have also checked the harness comming into the CCRM and there is power getting to it. Also there is no power getting to the 10a fuse for the fan in the fuse box. I tried jumping power to it but still no luck. I cant figure out why there is no power going to that 10a fuse, and why the fan and ac compressor are not working. Somebody please help.
There is a 60 Amp fuse in the fuse box under the hood for the fan.
Have you checked it?
I do not see a 10 Amp fuse for the fan in any of the diagrams I have.
Are you sure the 10 Amp fuse you found is for the fan?

You may need to replace the ground wire if it has been overheated.

I have attached some diagrams that may help you locate your problem.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Mustang-94-95-CCRM-AC-Diagram.gif
Views:	34441
Size:	34.6 KB
ID:	28689   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mustang-94-95-Fuse-Box.gif
Views:	11931
Size:	68.3 KB
ID:	28690  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Mustang-94-95-Underhood-Fuses.gif
Views:	24303
Size:	40.6 KB
ID:	28691  
Trojan Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 06:58 PM   #3

yes i checked the 60amp fuse and the fuse is good and it has power to it. The 10 amp fuse is on the bottom diagram and it is the fuse in the bottom left hand corner. I am confused why there is no power getting to that fuse. If i have to replace the ground wire, how far would i have to go with it. It is hard to trace the wires because it runs over to the passenger side and goes into the wheel well.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-08-2011, 07:00 PM   #4

I was wondering if It could be the AC high pressure cutout fan switch. I tested it as well and did not get a power reading at it either.
Old 07-08-2011, 09:24 PM   #5
Road Trip!
Supporter

Region: Missouri

Quote:
Originally Posted by 95GTS View Post
yes i checked the 60amp fuse and the fuse is good and it has power to it. The 10 amp fuse is on the bottom diagram and it is the fuse in the bottom left hand corner. I am confused why there is no power getting to that fuse. If i have to replace the ground wire, how far would i have to go with it. It is hard to trace the wires because it runs over to the passenger side and goes into the wheel well.
Ok, I see it now. Looks like it is a "Low Speed EDF Monitor" fuse.
Problem is, I don't know what the "EDF" stands for.

You won't get anything to or at several points in the system until the PCM signals that action is needed, which in turn those actions are governed by various sensor inputs to the PCM. So it could be any one or more of those sensors. It is possible that the A/C high pressure cutout fan switch is part of the problem. Take a close look at the diagram I posted and read the descriptions provided. That will give you some clues as to what may be the problem.

If the ground wire was burned or got really hot you should replace the entire wire. You can get Chilton's or Haynes manuals that have the entire wiring diagram in them to help you trace the wiring.
Trojan Horse is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT