Just to be clear - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 07-18-2011, 09:35 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Just to be clear

What is better for the stock bottom end on the 5.0? A turbo at low boost (4-5 pounds) or a centrifugal supercharger at the same boost levels. Is it streetable? Fuel mileage like?
I'm just curious, it'll affect my long term goals. Thanks!

I chug syrup for money...
wc3john is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-18-2011, 10:43 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
Re: Just to be clear

I personally would say the supercharger, that will increase ur HP across the whole RPM band whereas a turbo will have a lil turbo lag at least in the beginning. Just my two cents I'm sure some other people will be able to give u some better info on here.
Old 07-19-2011, 12:19 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

I've been told that at that level of boost, lag doesn't exist except for maybe 1500 rpm or lower which the super would only be really making less than a pound at that level also. Remember, I'm not concerned with throttle response as so much reliability and efficiency.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-19-2011, 12:29 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by wc3john
I've been told that at that level of boost, lag doesn't exist except for maybe 1500 rpm or lower which the super would only be really making less than a pound at that level also. Remember, I'm not concerned with throttle response as so much reliability and efficiency.
Honestly, you'll make way more power at 6lbs than that on a s/c, and depending on the size of turbo, if it's small there really won't be any lag significantly worse than a supercharger. And, at your goals of low psi, a small turbo would work great. The only difference is really the price and labor if you get it installed.
Las0mbra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 12:41 AM   #5
Road Trip!
Supporter

Region: Missouri

A Turbocharger is easier on your engine because:

1. It does not side load the crankshaft like a belt driven supercharger does.
2. It does not introduce any extra unwanted harmonics into the crankshaft.

However, a Turbocharger does increase underhood temperatures, so you should take extra measures to minimize the heat build up.
Insulate the TC and increase ventilation into and out of the engine bay if possible.
Trojan Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 12:50 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trojan Horse

However, a Turbocharger does increase underhood temperatures, so you should take extra measures to minimize the heat build up.
Insulate the TC and increase ventilation into and out of the engine bay if possible.
I actually new a guy with a turboed 93 5.0 and he actually built a duct from the right foglight hole that let air flow directly across the turbo. Apparently it really lowered the temps under the hood when he measured it. I'll text him and see of he'll send me some pics
Old 07-19-2011, 01:06 AM   #7
Road Trip!
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Las0mbra View Post
I actually new a guy with a turboed 93 5.0 and he actually built a duct from the right foglight hole that let air flow directly across the turbo. Apparently it really lowered the temps under the hood when he measured it. I'll text him and see of he'll send me some pics
That would be great if he would share his idea.

I am planning to do that on my 86 GT to feed cold air to the air intake filter. I figured on using some flexible ducting and fabricating a connector to the fog light cut out, but it would be nice to see a working set up.
Old 07-19-2011, 02:06 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

That would be great if he would share his idea.

I am planning to do that on my 86 GT to feed cold air to the air intake filter. I figured on using some flexible ducting and fabricating a connector to the fog light cut out, but it would be nice to see a working set up.
Yeah, lol... It's so sick. But it's such a sleeper. Looks bone stock but has I'm pretty sure around the 500ish rwhp mark
Old 07-19-2011, 02:13 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Here's a pic of it I found on Facebook, too bad I can't find pics of the engine bay... But still all stock looking except for the hood.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2209726278.png
Views:	89
Size:	267.9 KB
ID:	29035  
Old 07-19-2011, 02:14 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

figured on using some flexible ducting and fabricating a connector to the fog light cut out, but it would be nice to see a working set up.
I'm pretty sure that's all he did, he just cleaned it up and made it look pretty.
Old 07-19-2011, 02:16 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

He just texted me back! 507rwhp... Ha, too bad he said he's in Dallas visiting some friends and he cant send pics of the engine bay yet. But when he does...
Old 07-19-2011, 04:39 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

So in your opinion and experience, what would a safe, street-able boost level be for the stock bottom end?
What about the top end?
Can the stock heads handle that much boost?
What if I changed pushrods and springs, would that be all that was necessary to modify the e7's to safely handle the pressure?

I personally like the sound of a turbo as well as the "free" power they use.

Old 07-19-2011, 06:55 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Mississippi
My little brother has a pretty much stock 5.0. I say stock but it has gt40 heads and a explorer intake. He just installed a 76mm turbo. I have drove it and loved it. At 10 psi it laid down 430 at the wheels. I have drove it, it runs like a bone stock motor untill u hit the gas and after that, you better hold on. I have had supercharged 6-7 psi roots type but nothing felt like that
Old 07-19-2011, 09:16 AM   #14
Road Trip!
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by wc3john View Post
So in your opinion and experience, what would a safe, street-able boost level be for the stock bottom end?
What about the top end?
What if I changed pushrods and springs, would that be all that was necessary to modify the e7's to safely handle the pressure?

With a stock bottom end I would stay with 6-8 PSI.
The stock heads can handle the boost pressure just fine.
Where they fall down is being able to flow adequately at higher pressures and horsepower levels.
Changing pushrods and springs probably won't net you enough gains to be worth the money spent.
To build more power you need to ensure the bottom end will hold up and the intake and exhaust can handle the flow.
Old 07-19-2011, 10:02 AM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California

I have a stupid question my car has a vortech v3 on it how do you find out how much boost it is set at.
wereKEV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 10:45 AM   #16
Road Trip!
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by wereKEV View Post
I have a stupid question my car has a vortech v3 on it how do you find out how much boost it is set at.
Install a boost gauge.
Old 07-19-2011, 11:36 AM   #17
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

Region: Alabama
Send a message via AIM to SpectorV

turbo has less strain on the engine as it doesnt take power to make power, psi is psi though but a turbo will make more power per boost~
2003 Cobra Vert (Redfire) #3938 of 5082 @ 05/27/2003
472rwhp/493rwtq -Modification List - Dyno Sheet
2012 Mustang 3.7L M6 (Kona Blue)
2011 Ford Edge Sport (Red Metallic)
SpectorV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 12:07 PM   #18
Road Trip!
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpectorV View Post
turbo has less strain on the engine as it doesnt take power to make power, psi is psi though but a turbo will make more power per boost~
Exactly!

Because...There is less "parasitic" power loss on the Turbocharger which uses exhaust gasses to spin the Turbo to produce boost, than there is with a Supercharger that is belt driven by the crankshaft to produce boost.
Old 07-19-2011, 12:20 PM   #19
Titus Wadicus
Regular

Region: Ohio
Send a message via Yahoo to svtlx

Quote:
Originally Posted by wc3john View Post
What about the top end?

if you want fuel economy dont go a pound over 6psi. that will get you close to 100% volumetric efficency... that point where having boost actualy helps you get better gas milage. there is very lil upgrade you need to do to your fuel system. you can still u run 19lbs injectors and a fmu... or u can upgrade to 24lbs injectors and operate on the lower end of the fuel pressure.

im running 11psi on a stock bottom end... i do run arp head studs, and mls head gaskets though. i have e7's that i ported a lil..ok, alot on the exhaust side. i run .560 lift valve springs. and i have 3.45 gears in the rear, 30lbs injectors, 1.7rr, e-cam...
the gas milage isnt that great, even normal driving... but i can get it to go sideways in third... and at the end of the day, thats all that matters

bbk ssi, 70ml t.b., bbk adj.reg., bd11-a 11psi, e-cam,
racing aod, 2700 stall, 3.42 gears, ported e7, 308ci, 1.7rr, comp .560valve springs, gear drive, high dwell module, msd 6a & coil, bbk off road xpipe, mac cat back, 30lbs inj, pro-m 90mm, welded subframe connectors, boxed upper & lower trailing arms, spherical axle bushings, 255/50/16 tires, 255lph pump, 456hp
svtlx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 01:00 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by svtlx
the gas milage isnt that great, even normal driving... but i can get it to go sideways in third... and at the end of the day, thats all that matters
That's awesome best quote I've read all day
workmail21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 02:42 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by svtlx View Post
if you want fuel economy dont go a pound over 6psi. that will get you close to 100% volumetric efficency... that point where having boost actualy helps you get better gas milage. there is very lil upgrade you need to do to your fuel system. you can still u run 19lbs injectors and a fmu... or u can upgrade to 24lbs injectors and operate on the lower end of the fuel pressure.

im running 11psi on a stock bottom end... i do run arp head studs, and mls head gaskets though. i have e7's that i ported a lil..ok, alot on the exhaust side. i run .560 lift valve springs. and i have 3.45 gears in the rear, 30lbs injectors, 1.7rr, e-cam...
for the stock engine, all I care about is vol. efficency. Thank you all for the help.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT