pushrod or modular - Page 2 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 08-02-2011, 01:27 AM   #36
Registered Member
Regular

Ah well yeah if I had the money I would get a dart block but lol teenager on a budget lol.
82stang224 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-02-2011, 01:34 AM   #37
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
I would say modular. I like ohc more than pushrods. Just can't time pushrods as well as you can ohc in the high rpms
306 H/C/I, holley 4 barrel, T5, Hurst Shifter, Subframe connectors, 8.8 w/ 3.55 posi, 4 piston front disc brakes, SN95 rear disc brakes, shelby drop, 620 springs, Mideye 4.5 Leaf Springs, bilstein shocks.
austinknoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 09:19 AM   #38
Road Trip!

Modular motors are nothing new diesel have been using them for years and if there is a problem with one of the pieces I can replace that piece with having to replace the whole block as a whole it's a stronger design sorry boys
tbonestang is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-02-2011, 09:42 AM   #39
Road Trip!
Supporter

Region: Missouri
Re: pushrod or modular

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbonestang View Post
Modular motors are nothing new diesel have been using them for years and if there is a problem with one of the pieces I can replace that piece with having to replace the whole block as a whole it's a stronger design sorry boys
Ok, I'll admit to not knowing a lot about the Ford mod motors, but you just totally lost me here.

So, what on earth are you talking about?
As far as I know you cannot "replace just a piece" of a Ford modular engine block.
Trojan Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 10:50 AM   #40
Road Trip!

The idea behind the mod motor is it's many pieces sandwich together now unless ford did something different thats the basic xoncept
Old 08-02-2011, 10:53 AM   #41
Road Trip!

Region: California
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbonestang
The idea behind the mod motor is it's many pieces sandwich together now unless ford did something different thats the basic xoncept
Lost again
16218 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 10:55 AM   #42
Road Trip!
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbonestang View Post
I know of the concept, but you cannot just unbolt and replace part of a modular engine block after it has been cast.

The way I understand it the "modular" part of the design allows the factory to add or remove cylinders easily when casting blocks.
Old 08-02-2011, 11:15 AM   #43
Road Trip!

It's not the way ur thinking its slices well thAts the way I was taught at Detroit diesel
Old 08-02-2011, 11:20 AM   #44
Road Trip!
Supporter

Quote:
The Ford Modular engine is Ford Motor Company's overhead camshaft (OHC) V8 and V10 engine family, which has been produced in 4.6L, 5.0L (Cammer, Coyote), 5.4L, and 6.8L variations. Contrary to popular belief, the Modular engine did not get its name from its design or sharing of certain parts among the engine family. Instead, the name was derived from a manufacturing plant protocol, "Modular", where the plant and its tooling could be changed out in a matter of hours to manufacture different versions of the engine family.[1] The Modular engines are used in various Ford, Lincoln, and Mercury vehicles. Modular engines used in Ford trucks have been marketed under the Triton name since 1997 while the InTech name was used for a time at Lincoln for vehicles equipped with DOHC versions of the engines.
Old 08-02-2011, 12:19 PM   #45
Road Trip!

Ok yes but have u taken one apart yet if so then you will understand
Old 08-02-2011, 01:24 PM   #46
Registered Member
Regular
Supporter

Region: Louisiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbonestang
Ok yes but have u taken one apart yet if so then you will understand
A diesel modular is completely different than a 4.6 or 5.4 mod motor. Not even the same concept. The block is cast as one piece, not with individual cylinders like the diesels you are talking about.

93 GT with more junkyard mods than you can imagine.
90 GT bone stock down to the air filter, awaiting restoration.
Join Mustang Evolution today. Click here
93slowstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 03:51 PM   #47
Road Trip!

Well then it's not a true modular motor a modular motor is put together like building blocks and diesels and gas motors are different but very similar and please don't start telling me the differences I know all of them . U know that h or x pipe ur running where do you think the idea of letting the other cylinders help pull the used exhaust out . But either way I'd rather have a dohc 427 yes the first true hemi
Old 08-02-2011, 04:01 PM   #48
Registered Member
Regular
Supporter

Region: Louisiana
Yes I know its not a true modular. The article Trojan posted explains why they call the ford motors mod motors.

93 GT with more junkyard mods than you can imagine.
90 GT bone stock down to the air filter, awaiting restoration.
Join Mustang Evolution today. Click here
93slowstang is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT