Car shutting off - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 08-04-2011, 08:07 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular
Supporter
 
93slowstang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Walker
Region: Louisiana
Posts: 3,436
Car shutting off

Can anyone think of what you cause my car to all of a sudden shut off? My fuel pump is working fine as I've checked it plugs,and wires.

I'm also getting spark and my ignition module is fine too. I'm running out of ideas and thinking it's either my ECM or maf. Any thoughts?
__________________


93 GT with more junkyard mods than you can imagine.
90 GT bone stock down to the air filter, awaiting restoration.
Join Mustang Evolution today. Click here
93slowstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 08-04-2011, 08:09 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular
 
Las0mbra's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Region: Oklahoma
Posts: 2,104
Quote:
Originally Posted by 93slowstang
Can anyone think of what you cause my car to all of a sudden shut off? My fuel pump is working fine as I've checked it plugs,and wires.

I'm also getting spark and my ignition module is fine too. I'm running out of ideas and thinking it's either my ECM or maf. Any thoughts?
Is it throwing codes?
Las0mbra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 08:14 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular
 
Jamesgt08's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Region: Texas
Posts: 1,361
Vacuum leak. Check ur hoses.
Jamesgt08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 08-04-2011, 08:19 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular
Supporter
 
93slowstang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Walker
Region: Louisiana
Posts: 3,436
That's another thing, I've tried checking it before and the test ports aren't working. Took it to a mechanic and they couldn't get it to read either. Found out it was an auto converted to manual with an a9l computer an they didn't add the part of the harness needed.

---------- Post added at 08:16 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:15 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamesgt08
Vacuum leak. Check ur hoses.
I've checked them too.

---------- Post added at 08:19 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:16 PM ----------

Forgot to add that if I reset the computer it will crank and run fine for about 10 minutes and just shut off.
__________________


93 GT with more junkyard mods than you can imagine.
90 GT bone stock down to the air filter, awaiting restoration.
Join Mustang Evolution today. Click here
93slowstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 01:07 AM   #5
Road Trip!
Supporter
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Region: Missouri
Posts: 8,779
Re: Car shutting off

Quote:
Originally Posted by 93slowstang View Post
That's another thing, I've tried checking it before and the test ports aren't working. Took it to a mechanic and they couldn't get it to read either. Found out it was an auto converted to manual with an a9l computer an they didn't add the part of the harness needed.

I've checked them too.

Forgot to add that if I reset the computer it will crank and run fine for about 10 minutes and just shut off.
How do you "reset" the computer, disconnect the battery?

Sounds like something is getting hot and shutting down in your ECU or ignition system.
Check all of your ground wires, especially to the engine and ECU.
Trojan Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 03:37 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular
Supporter
 
93slowstang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Walker
Region: Louisiana
Posts: 3,436
Yes I disconnected the ground to reset it. What's weird is I had my chip in the no run position with the key on and the fuel pump was running. When it was in any of the run settings it would only prime and not run.
__________________


93 GT with more junkyard mods than you can imagine.
90 GT bone stock down to the air filter, awaiting restoration.
Join Mustang Evolution today. Click here
93slowstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 03:48 AM   #7
Road Trip!
Supporter
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Region: Missouri
Posts: 8,779
Re: Car shutting off

Quote:
Originally Posted by 93slowstang View Post
Yes I disconnected the ground to reset it. What's weird is I had my chip in the no run position with the key on and the fuel pump was running. When it was in any of the run settings it would only prime and not run.
Have you tried it without the chip?
Maybe something in it shorted out.
Need to determine whether you are losing fire or fuel when it shuts down.

Check here - Ford Fuel Injection for information on testing the MAF and other wiring issues.
P.S. I love this site. Tons of info available.
Trojan Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 03:54 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular
Supporter
 
93slowstang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Walker
Region: Louisiana
Posts: 3,436
Yes I've taken the chip out too and it the pump works as it should until it cranks and then back to dying...

I'm at work right now but I'm gonna dive into that sight on break... Love new info
__________________


93 GT with more junkyard mods than you can imagine.
90 GT bone stock down to the air filter, awaiting restoration.
Join Mustang Evolution today. Click here
93slowstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 07:34 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular
Supporter
 
93slowstang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Walker
Region: Louisiana
Posts: 3,436
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trojan Horse

Have you tried it without the chip?
Maybe something in it shorted out.
Need to determine whether you are losing fire or fuel when it shuts down.

Check here - Ford Fuel Injection for information on testing the MAF and other wiring issues.
P.S. I love this site. Tons of info available.
Man that is a good write up, I bookmarked it for future reference. I decided to actually examine my ECM before diving into everything else and it looked like a bomb went off inside the casing.

Two of the capacitors exploded, and another ones connections are almost burnt off. On the bottom side quite a few of the paths are burnt up as well. That's just my luck.
__________________


93 GT with more junkyard mods than you can imagine.
90 GT bone stock down to the air filter, awaiting restoration.
Join Mustang Evolution today. Click here
93slowstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 08:09 AM   #10
Road Trip!
Supporter
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Region: Missouri
Posts: 8,779
Re: Car shutting off

Quote:
Originally Posted by 93slowstang View Post
Man that is a good write up, I bookmarked it for future reference. I decided to actually examine my ECM before diving into everything else and it looked like a bomb went off inside the casing.

Two of the capacitors exploded, and another ones connections are almost burnt off. On the bottom side quite a few of the paths are burnt up as well. That's just my luck.
That sux.
Here's a list of compatible replacements in a MS Word document if you need it.
ECU/ECM/PCM (Computer) - List for the 87-93 5.0 Mustang
Trojan Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 08:40 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular
Supporter
 
93slowstang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Walker
Region: Louisiana
Posts: 3,436
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trojan Horse

That sux.
Here's a list of compatible replacements in a MS Word document if you need it.
ECU/ECM/PCM (Computer) - List for the 87-93 5.0 Mustang
Thank you so much. You are a life saver, I have been looking for that for the past hour and a half. There really needs to be a thanks button on the app, it won't let me do it on the browser.
__________________


93 GT with more junkyard mods than you can imagine.
90 GT bone stock down to the air filter, awaiting restoration.
Join Mustang Evolution today. Click here
93slowstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Favorite Thing About Your Car Thread bradh2414 General Mustang Discussion 43 07-24-2011 05:55 PM
Why does the a/c effect my car 1gt289 Pre-2005 V6 Mustang 22 07-23-2011 12:55 PM
My car is hurt :( GoldenPonyBoy 2005-2010 V6 Mustang 25 07-19-2011 11:11 PM
Car Covers! Murdered_Stang General Mustang Discussion 8 06-26-2011 04:03 PM

» Like Us On Facebook



09:45 AM


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0

MustangEvolution.com is in no way associated with or endorsed by Ford Motor Company.