I got a BIG PROBLEM!!! - Page 2 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 08-07-2011, 09:22 AM   #36
Road Trip!
Supporter

Region: Missouri
Re: I got a BIG PROBLEM!!!

The octane rating of gasoline is a measure of how much you can compress the gasoline before it ignites, not how “good” it is.
Cars that require higher octane gasoline actually need that higher priced gasoline because the engines compress the fuel more before it ignites it. If you put regular gasoline in a car that requires premium, the gasoline will prematurely ignite when it’s being compressed and the engine will detonate or spark knock. This is bad for your car's engine and can lead to premature engine failure. Most cars nowadays that are computer controlled are able to adjust the ignition timing events to compensate for fuel octane differences to prevent knocking.

Putting higher grade gasoline in your gas when you don't need it kicks you in the butt twice. First, you end paying about 20 cents more per gallon then you need to, which can add up to astronomical figures if you drive a lot. And secondly, you can end up clogging your engine with harmful carbon deposits and possibly lower your gas mileage. This is because the higher octane gasoline is harder to burn, and lower performance engines may not be able to completely burn all of the gasoline, which causes carbon to build up.

Octane Myths

High octane gasoline improves mileage.
In general, if your car is designed to run on 87 octane gasoline, high octane gasoline will not improve mileage. If switching to high octane gasoline does improve mileage, you might find that your engine, or its control systems, need repair.

High octane gasoline gives quicker starting.
No, it doesn’t.

High octane gasoline increases power.
If your car is designed to run on 87 octane gasoline, you shouldn’t notice any more power on high octane gasoline. Again, if it does make a noticeable difference, your engine, or the engine’s electronic control systems, may need repair.

High octane gasoline has been refined more – it is just a better product.
Additional refining steps are used to increase the octane; however, these additional steps do not necessarily make the gasoline a “better” product for all engines. They just yield a different blend of hydrocarbons that burn more slowly. The additional steps also increase the price.
Trojan Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-07-2011, 01:34 PM   #37
Registered Member
Regular
Supporter

Region: Louisiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trojan Horse
The octane rating of gasoline is a measure of how much you can compress the gasoline before it ignites, not how “good” it is.
Cars that require higher octane gasoline actually need that higher priced gasoline because the engines compress the fuel more before it ignites it. If you put regular gasoline in a car that requires premium, the gasoline will prematurely ignite when it’s being compressed and the engine will detonate or spark knock. This is bad for your car's engine and can lead to premature engine failure. Most cars nowadays that are computer controlled are able to adjust the ignition timing events to compensate for fuel octane differences to prevent knocking.

Putting higher grade gasoline in your gas when you don't need it kicks you in the butt twice. First, you end paying about 20 cents more per gallon then you need to, which can add up to astronomical figures if you drive a lot. And secondly, you can end up clogging your engine with harmful carbon deposits and possibly lower your gas mileage. This is because the higher octane gasoline is harder to burn, and lower performance engines may not be able to completely burn all of the gasoline, which causes carbon to build up.

Octane Myths

High octane gasoline improves mileage.
In general, if your car is designed to run on 87 octane gasoline, high octane gasoline will not improve mileage. If switching to high octane gasoline does improve mileage, you might find that your engine, or its control systems, need repair.

High octane gasoline gives quicker starting.
No, it doesn’t.

High octane gasoline increases power.
If your car is designed to run on 87 octane gasoline, you shouldn’t notice any more power on high octane gasoline. Again, if it does make a noticeable difference, your engine, or the engine’s electronic control systems, may need repair.

High octane gasoline has been refined more – it is just a better product.
Additional refining steps are used to increase the octane; however, these additional steps do not necessarily make the gasoline a “better” product for all engines. They just yield a different blend of hydrocarbons that burn more slowly. The additional steps also increase the price.
Figure I'll add a bit of info about e85 real quick.

Ethanol-enriched fuel is the highest-performance fuel on the market. E10 (10% ethanol and 90% gasoline) has an approximate octane rating of 91. E85’s octane rating is approximately 105.

All cars manufactured after 1980 can use up to a 10% ethanol-blend, from Porsches and Ferraris to SUVs, minivans and sedans.

93 GT with more junkyard mods than you can imagine.
90 GT bone stock down to the air filter, awaiting restoration.
Join Mustang Evolution today. Click here
93slowstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 02:24 PM   #38
Registered Member
Regular

Well guys time to write a book ha
Advertisement

Old 08-07-2011, 04:44 PM   #39
Road Trip!
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 93slowstang View Post
Figure I'll add a bit of info about e85 real quick.

Ethanol-enriched fuel is the highest-performance fuel on the market. E10 (10% ethanol and 90% gasoline) has an approximate octane rating of 91. E85’s octane rating is approximately 105.

All cars manufactured after 1980 can use up to a 10% ethanol-blend, from Porsches and Ferraris to SUVs, minivans and sedans.
I am seriously considering converting to use E85 in my 86 GT after the SC install. In addition to the higher octane it will provide some cooling effect to the intake mixture. The drawbacks are availability, higher fuel consumption and the corrosive effect of alcohol.
Old 08-08-2011, 09:36 PM   #40
Road Trip!

Region: Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trojan Horse

I am seriously considering converting to use E85 in my 86 GT after the SC install. In addition to the higher octane it will provide some cooling effect to the intake mixture. The drawbacks are availability, higher fuel consumption and the corrosive effect of alcohol.
There is a e85 class at my local track.there fuel gets tested to make sure it is true e85.the are always a blast to watch.many of them running 8's.they run big blowers and lots of nitrous.very fun cars!
dreamstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 10:55 PM   #41
Road Trip!

Region: Alabama
Lol been hear done that e gas burns very sooty ive tuned pre 98 engines to run on it its not good after 98 engines run much nicer and dont riquire as many injection cleanins comprehend the diffrance in price after u need to run 2 full tanks with cleaner after every tank of e gas have fun now go tune something sted of yhinking about it or just talking!
Hawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 04:21 AM   #42
Road Trip!
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawk View Post
Lol been hear done that e gas burns very sooty ive tuned pre 98 engines to run on it its not good after 98 engines run much nicer and dont riquire as many injection cleanins comprehend the diffrance in price after u need to run 2 full tanks with cleaner after every tank of e gas have fun now go tune something sted of yhinking about it or just talking!
Pre 98 engines probably didn't have the proper fuel lines and system to use the E85.
The soot most likely came from the decaying bits of incompatible rubber from your fuel system. Later model vehicles are better equipped with the proper rubber components in the fuel lines and injectors so yes they do work better and require less maintenance.
Price has nothing to do with why I want to try it.Set up and tuned properly it is much cleaner burning than gasoline., it has a higher octane rating and it burns cooler, which is another reason to use it on a forced induction engine.
I would set my system up with dual tanks to utilize the E85 and gasoline.
A simple valve to switch between the tanks and a second tune for gasoline would negate having to burn two tanks of fuel and cleaner.
I have prior experience with using methanol fuel too and I am very aware of what it takes to run it.
Old 08-09-2011, 12:00 PM   #43
Road Trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickcap
Hey guys

I put everything back on and I go to start it and it turns over real slow! I put the jumper pack on it it still turns over in slow motion... Then I looked closely and right in front of the windshield there's smoke!!! Idk what to do or what this is I'm positive my spark plug wires are right order! Also I attached a pic of a plug that I do not know where it goes and if it causes the smoke please reply asap!!!

Thanks

NickCap
That 3 port vacuum connection the pink goes to the valve coming off the smog pump and the red and green connect to the evr which controls the flow to the egr . Now my evr is under the passenger fender but that would cause it to turn over slowly
tbonestang is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT