timing gear drive peoblem? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 08-07-2011, 03:10 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
timing gear drive peoblem?

Hello fellas!
I just installed a e-303 cam, new lifters, and a timing gear drive set in my 91 5.0, well the car runs great but gear drive sounds like it's rubbing on the timing cover or something.... I'm confused here, it's the first set I have installed in a 5.0 so I don't know if this sound is normal or not... I know the gears wine, but there is also a rubbing noise that's coming from the front to??? Has anyone had this problem or know someone that has?
C4king is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-07-2011, 03:41 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Michigan
Do you have the center section ( dog-bone gears) spaced correctly? On mine I had to add some spot welds inside the cover where the dog bone would touch and then grind down the welds till I got the correct spacing.
mustangbill00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 04:20 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Mississippi
Re: timing gear drive peoblem?

either stampede or trojan horse was telling me that they had a gear drive, also said he had to alter the timing gear cover just a TAD, might be what your hearing
Advertisement

Old 08-07-2011, 10:38 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

The instructions told me to grind out the rib inside the timing cover, it's the rib that keeps the chain from slaping together. The instructions say to grind the long pin that the idler gear rides on to get a clearance of .005 - .075 from the pin to the block, not the cover.. I didn't think the gears where supposed to hit the timing cover when engine is running??? I was told the crank and cam gear pulled the dog bone into the block side not cover side??? I'm not getting any metal shavings or anything in the oil so I guess I'll run it for a few more miles before I tear it back down... I hate to tear back into something that looks that good... Thanks for all your help fellas...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-78979414.png
Views:	262
Size:	190.6 KB
ID:	30040  
Old 08-09-2011, 06:27 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

I took it back apart to see what was making the ugly sound.. Look what I found, the idler gear axle (small one) was chewing into the block??? The boss around the front main bearing.... My finger is pointing to it.. Let me know what you think
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image-3760421312.png
Views:	308
Size:	168.3 KB
ID:	30087  
Old 08-09-2011, 07:17 PM   #6
Road Trip!
Supporter

Region: Missouri

Quote:
Originally Posted by C4king View Post
I took it back apart to see what was making the ugly sound.. Look what I found, the idler gear axle (small one) was chewing into the block??? The boss around the front main bearing.... My finger is pointing to it.. Let me know what you think
That's a gnarly looking finger.

Were there any shims or spacers included with the kit?
It is evidently pulling the idlers into the block like they said it would.

What brand are they?
Have a picture of the assembled drive?
Trojan Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 09:19 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

[QUOTE="Trojan Horse"]

Lol... You like my finger huh!!! Lol yeah I'm a gnarly mother f$&@ker lol... Here is a pic of it ready to roll, I figured it out man... I had countless hours on the phone today with accuedrive I learn something today and I think they did as well, some Ford blocks have a bigger casting around the front main... 351c 460 and I guess mine a 87 modle xxx block.. If you look in your intake vally there are three letters it's ether XXX or YYY mine is XXX I guess it's a diffrent casting some how, hell I don't know but it makes sence now... Well if anyone runs into a problem like this you have to grind out some clearance on the block to.... Or just put the chain back on lol
Old 08-09-2011, 09:27 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

[QUOTE="Trojan Horse"]

You like my finger huh lol!!!! Yeah that because I'm a gnarly motherf$$&ker lol...
Well countless hours on phone with accuedrive today I think me a that dude ha learn some things about gear drives and ford blocks... My block is a early 87 if you look inside your lifter vally there is three casting letters XXX and YYY mine is a XXX block I guess there is a diffrence in the way the die was when it was casted... So I had to grind some metal off around that boss to get the to fit... So if anyone has this problem that's what you have to do... Or just put the damn chain back on like I should have.. Owell it's done, here is a pic ready to roll
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image-330085553.png
Views:	299
Size:	172.9 KB
ID:	30099  
Old 08-09-2011, 09:54 PM   #9
Road Trip!
Supporter

Region: Missouri

[QUOTE=C4king;942141]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trojan Horse

You like my finger huh lol!!!! Yeah that because I'm a gnarly motherf$$&ker lol...
Well countless hours on phone with accuedrive today I think me a that dude ha learn some things about gear drives and ford blocks... My block is a early 87 if you look inside your lifter vally there is three casting letters XXX and YYY mine is a XXX block I guess there is a diffrence in the way the die was when it was casted... So I had to grind some metal off around that boss to get the to fit... So if anyone has this problem that's what you have to do... Or just put the damn chain back on like I should have.. Owell it's done, here is a pic ready to roll
Yeah that finger looks like one of my own. All twisted and beat up from years of working with our hands.
Anyways, I'm glad you got it sorted out.
I wondered about casting problems. I have seen things like this happen whenever you get a block with much core shift and now due to differences from mold to mold.

Happy gear banging and tire smoke.
Trojan Horse is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT