Mustang Evolution Forum banner

advancing timing

12K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  SpectorV 
#1 ·
I'm probably going to be advancing my timing this weekend. Is there a thread that gives instructions for this and are there any drawbacks from advancing the timing?

#5 ·
I'm probably going to be advancing my timing this weekend. Is there a thread that gives instructions for this and are there any drawbacks from advancing the timing?
The only drawbacks are the possible need for premium fuel if you want to advance it farther than regular fuel can stand.
You will gain some performance and response increase when advancing the timing.
If your timing mark seems to flutter wildly when you are checking the timing with a timing light, this could be an indication of a loose/sloppy timing chain which should be replaced.

The range I have seen stated most often is 12-16 degrees which is 2-6 degrees over the stock setting of 10 degrees BTDC.

Listen carefully for the engine to "spark knock" or "ping".
If it does then you will need to either ****** the timing a degree or two, or run a higher octane fuel.

#7 ·
listen for detonation and be careful you dont have any, you can put in some new plugs advance the timing etc and if you dont hear detonation after a bit take the plugs out and look at the white are on them for any chips/missing parts (sign of detonation) you cant always hear detonation.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.