fuel pressure gauge - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 08-11-2011, 08:13 PM   #1
Filibuster

Region: Illinois
fuel pressure gauge

I have an auto meter liqid filled fuel pressure gauge..it mounts off of the schrader valve on the fuel rail...anyway my question..is it a good ok to have it mounted under hood permanently?...i know plenty off people do i just dont know any gauge manufacturer that recomends it..
XXSTEVEO66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-11-2011, 08:54 PM   #2
Road Trip!
Supporter

Region: Missouri
Re: fuel pressure gauge

Quote:
Originally Posted by XXSTEVEO66 View Post
I have an auto meter liqid filled fuel pressure gauge..it mounts off of the schrader valve on the fuel rail...anyway my question..is it a good ok to have it mounted under hood permanently?...i know plenty off people do i just dont know any gauge manufacturer that recomends it..
When using a liquid filled gauge it is not a good idea to put them in a hot environment. The excessive heat will eventually cause the liquid (glycerin) in the gauge to overpressurize and blow out the seals letting all of the liquid leak out, ruining the gauge.
Trojan Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 09:50 PM   #3
Filibuster

Good point....so..a dry gauge that bounces around like a spastic butterfly might be a better idea?...or is a s#!ty non mechanical dash mounted gauge?...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-11-2011, 10:41 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular
Supporter

Region: Louisiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by XXSTEVEO66
Good point....so..a dry gauge that bounces around like a spastic butterfly might be a better idea?...or is a s#!ty non mechanical dash mounted gauge?...
Or you can get a new cowl with a gauge pod and use a liquid filled one.

93 GT with more junkyard mods than you can imagine.
90 GT bone stock down to the air filter, awaiting restoration.
Join Mustang Evolution today. Click here
93slowstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 11:03 PM   #5
Road Trip!
Supporter

Quote:
Ever heard of a gauge snubber/damper or isolator?
Old 08-11-2011, 11:18 PM   #6
Filibuster

Actually...no I haven't as far as use for reducing vibration..but I may look into it...really a permanent f/p gauge isn't "needed" in my application,just like to know what's goin on as much as I can...155K on the block!...and still running strong!!..
Thanks for the answers..i will be posting more questions soon..i.e power loss under full throttle in first gear ONLY!..???...
Old 08-11-2011, 11:53 PM   #7
Road Trip!
Supporter

Quote:
Actually...no I haven't as far as use for reducing vibration..but I may look into it...really a permanent f/p gauge isn't "needed" in my application,just like to know what's goin on as much as I can...155K on the block!...and still running strong!!..
Thanks for the answers..i will be posting more questions soon..i.e power loss under full throttle in first gear ONLY!..???...
The snubber/damper won't reduce vibration as such, but they will help keep the gauge needle from bouncing around too much.

The isolator will allow you to mount the fuel pressure gauge inside your car for better monitoring of your fuel pressure.

Are you experiencing a power loss for sure....or are you just hitting the rev limiter?
Old 08-12-2011, 08:53 AM   #8
Filibuster

Deffinate loss....if I could explain it better its almost like a cracked distributor in the rain(if that makes any sence)...
New msd wires,cap,rotor,new plugs,and plug wire insulators...
The problem was worse before it happened at half throttle..then I cleaned the "salt n pepper" shakers
And it seemed to be gone,but I also just replaced the flywheel and clutch so I couldn't really lay into the throttle till now(needed to let the clutch and f/w break in properly)
And as I said before it only happens in first gear at full throttle,and if I let off the throttle fer only a split sec it goes away..??...prob why it goes away when I shift to 2nd...
Old 08-12-2011, 12:59 PM   #9
Road Trip!
Supporter

Quote:
Deffinate loss....if I could explain it better its almost like a cracked distributor in the rain(if that makes any sence)...
New msd wires,cap,rotor,new plugs,and plug wire insulators...
The problem was worse before it happened at half throttle..then I cleaned the "salt n pepper" shakers
And it seemed to be gone,but I also just replaced the flywheel and clutch so I couldn't really lay into the throttle till now(needed to let the clutch and f/w break in properly)
And as I said before it only happens in first gear at full throttle,and if I let off the throttle fer only a split sec it goes away..??...prob why it goes away when I shift to 2nd...
You say you cleaned the ten pin connectors correct?
Did you happen to spread the pins out a bit to ensure good connection while you were at it?
Have you checked your TPS voltage range?
Fuel pressure correct, filter clean, etc.?
Timing set correctly?
Old 08-12-2011, 04:02 PM   #10
Filibuster

I did not spread the pins though I will clean them again and do so..
Throttle position I have not checked I will do that as well...fuel pressure im in the process of checking..filter is new and timing's good...thanks for the help!...

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT