Mustang Evolution Forum banner

Aode In a Fox?

4K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  Trojan Horse 
#1 ·
Just Wondering What it Will Take To Run An AODE In An 88. I Know The AOD Is Mechanical And Ran With A Kickdown Off The TB, But The AODE Is Ran Off The Computer No? I heard That There Is A Stand Along Unit you Can Get To run The AODE Without The Comp? Any Advice Or Help Would Be Great Thanks.

#2 · (Edited)
You would need to use an aftermarket transmission control like the Baumannator to control the transmission.
New website - Baumannator

#3 ·
y on earth would u wanna run an aode? to each their own i suppose. u can have a high h.p. bullit proof aod built for the usuly the same cost as a "pcm unit" to operate the trans.

im not sure how much the "buaman" units cost, maybe im wrong. but typicaly hardware is a bit cheaper than electronics in this case.

if your that good with wiring though, just swap in a 94-95 gt auto harness and pcm. maybe cheaper than a "stand alone unit"

#5 ·
y on earth would u wanna run an aode? to each their own i suppose. u can have a high h.p. bullit proof aod built for the usuly the same cost as a "pcm unit" to operate the trans.

im not sure how much the "buaman" units cost, maybe im wrong. but typicaly hardware is a bit cheaper than electronics in this case.

if your that good with wiring though, just swap in a 94-95 gt auto harness and pcm. maybe cheaper than a "stand alone unit"
The Baumannator TCS costs $425. Way less than a built AOD.

From the Baumannator website:
Which transmission is better, the AOD or the AODE?
The AOD was a good transmission in it's day, but the newer AODE and 4R70W have many improvements. The AODE has a thicker, simpler, and much more reliable valve body that is much less likely to warp than the thinner more complex AOD valve body. The AODEs also all came with the 2 inch wide overdrive band and an A (largest Diameter) Overdrive servo. The input shaft is also much stronger on the AODE than the AOD. Lastly, the AODE has a lockup converter clutch rather than a mechanical, gear dependent lockup. What this means is that with the AODE you can have 2nd, 3rd, or 4th gear locked or unlocked. No longer do you have to decide between streetability and performance. You can have your lockup for efficiency, and unlock the converter for better acceleration.
The 4R70W offers all of the above benefits with the addition of a lower first and second gear ratio to help initial acceleration. Beginning in 1998, the 4R70W also has the Mechanical Diode intermediate one way clutch, and an even better direct input shaft. Certain models also have hardened gears, such as the 1998 and later 5.4 trucks.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.