Mustang Evolution Forum banner

Head gasket question ?

2K views 17 replies 6 participants last post by  WhiteCobra94 
#1 ·
Ok so I went to install my rocker arms yesterday and where my pedestal goes, the thread is coming out of the head about a business card thickness but so enough that it won't let the pedestal mount to thread in, so I called Edelbrock and was talking to them , sent them pics and I'm sending the head back for a new one!! Great!!! But my question is since my head was bolted to the short block already do I need to put a new head gasket on or can I just re-bolt the head back on using the same gasket?

#3 ·
What kind of gasket did you use?
Will the engine be Supercharged or Turbocharged?

Looks like the Heli-Coil insert in the pedestal mount hole was damaged somehow.
You may have been able to fix that on the engine, but just in case not, you did the right thing. :good:

#5 ·
Those are steel core laminate gaskets, so you should be able to use them again unless Edelbrock specifically says not to for some reason.

#7 ·
:cool:...and sometimes manufacturers do the right thing. :good:

#8 ·
Gaskets are cheap compared to the time and money it takes to tear the engine back down. Anytime I remove heads I always use new gaskets and new bolts/studs. Cheap insurance.

#11 ·
That's not always true.
The Cometic MLS Gaskets can be reused.
And copper head gaskets can be annealed and reused.

#12 ·
WhiteCobra94 said:
Well the bolts are brand new and only bolted on the block for less then a week, but I am putting a new gasket on !
I thought all head bolts were, torque to yield.....meaning if you do torque them to specs it stretches the bolt out and is no longer safe to reuse? I'm not sure if it's true with all types of head bolts but frpp bolts say Do Not Reuse After Install.

#13 ·
No, not all of them are torque to yield.
For most newer vehicles that is true, but for the 79- 95 engines it is not the case.

#14 ·
86gt said:
I thought all head bolts were, torque to yield.....meaning if you do torque them to specs it stretches the bolt out and is no longer safe to reuse? I'm not sure if it's true with all types of head bolts but frpp bolts say Do Not Reuse After Install.
The flanged head bolts are torque to yield, non flanged like the ones that come on the 79-95 mustangs are not.

#16 ·
Well my new head came Friday, and my head gasket from edelbrock came today, the only problem is the damn head gasket was poorly packaged and was bent in half!!! Now I'm getting frustrated , does anyone know if the sell single head gaskets? Everywhere I look there sold in pairs !!!

#17 ·
Sorry, the only head gaskets I've seen sold singly are the copper ones. :(

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.