Vacuum lines coming from passenger fender well.? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2014 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT

Join Mustang Evolution Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 08-14-2011, 10:17 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Otlaw80 is unknown around these parts
Vacuum lines coming from passenger fender well.?

First I apologize for not having a picture of what I'm talking about. I forgot to snap one, but I can get one tomorrow if it will help. I've got 2 vacuum lines coming out of the passenger fender well next to the firewall. But I have nothing to connect them to. I took a look at my brothers 87 GT and he's got 2(or possibly 3) "things" that the vacuum lines hook to as well as electrical plugs.
So...

1st- what are they and what do they do.
2nd- do I need them?

Thanx for any help

Old 08-15-2011, 01:47 AM   #2
Road Trip!
Supporter

Trojan Horse is just getting started.
Re: Vacuum lines coming from passenger fender well.?

1. Thermactor Air Diverter Solenoid (TAD) - Directs thermactor air from the rear of the cylinder heads to the exhaust H pipe after warm up

2. Thermactor Air Bypass Solenoid (TAB) - Vents thermactor air during periods when it is not needed (primarily cold starts)

3. Vacuum Storage Canister - Stores Vacuum to prevent interruption of services during wide open throttle

4. Throttle Body - Regulates the amount of air entering the engine

5. Air Inlet Hose - Directs air into the throttle body from the mass air meter (Mass air car) or the air box (Speed Density Car)

6. Idle Air Bypass Valve - Regulates the amount of air needed to maintain a smooth idle

7. Engine Coolant Temperature Sensor (ECT) - Reports the coolant temp to the computer

8. Injectors - delivers fuel sequentially to each cylinder

9. Oil Filler Cap

10. WOT Cutout Relay - Kills AC compressor during wide open throttle

11. Fuel Pump Relay - The computer activates the fuel pump through this relay

12. Mass Air Flow Sensor (MAF) - The Electronic device used to measure the amount of air passing through the meter

13. Mass Air Flow Meter - Electrically measures the amount of air entering the engine and reports the information back to the computer

14. Thermactor Bypass Valve - Directs the flow of air supplied by the thermactor (fresh air) pump

15. Alternator

16. Belt Tensioner

17. Air Silencer - Used to muffle incoming air noise (located in the fender)

18. Canister Purge Solenoid - Allows fuel vapors from the carbon canister to enter the intake manifold

19. Air Cleaner Housing - Contains the air filter

20. Thermactor Air Pump - Delivers high volume, low pressure fresh air to the exhaust system

21. Water Pump, Fan, and Fan Clutch

22. Air Conditioner Condenser Connections - Attaches refrigerant lines to air conditioning condenser

23. Center Line Crash Sensor - 90-93 only - triggers air bag in the event of a front end collision

24. Radiator

25. Radiator Cap

26. Coolant Reservoir and Low Coolant Switch (if so equipped)

27. Power Steering Pump

28. Battery

29. Air Conditioning Compressor

30. Spout Check Connector - Must be unplugged when checking initial ignition timing

31. Windshield Washer Reservoir

32. Vacuum Hose Diagram

33. Ignition Coil - under plastic cover

34. Starter Relay - under plastic cover

35. Coolant Temperature Sender - Relates coolant temperature to the gauge in the instrument panel

36. Engine Oil Dipstick

37. Electronic Distributor - Controlled by the computer

38. Front Strut Insulator and Camber Adjustment Plate

39. Upper Intake Plenum

40. Brake Master Cylinder and Booster

41. VIP Test Connectors - computer test ports

42. Windshield Wiper Motor

43. Vacuum Distribution Tee - From left to right the connections are: vacuum source (intake manifold), unused, vacuum reservoir, speed control servo (if equipped with cruise), power brake booster

44. Air Charge Temperature Sensor - Reports the temperature of the air in the intake manifold to the computer

45. Barometric Absolute Pressure Sensor (BAP) - Reports barometric air pressure to the computer

46. Positive Crankcase Ventilation Valve (PCV Valve) - relieves crankcase pressure

47. Fuel Pressure Regulator - Uses intake manifold vacuum to lower the fuel rail pressure during low rpm operation

48. 10-pin connector - Mates the engine wiring harness with the main wiring harness and the EEC computer

49. EGR Vacuum Regulator Solenoid - Controls the vacuum which opens the EGR valve

50. EGR Valve and EGR Position Sensor - Allows exhaust gases to enter the intake passage during various engine speeds. Reports valve position to computer

51. EGR Spacer - Provides a hot gas passage to and from the EGR valve

52. EGR Coolant Hoses - Circulates coolant through the EGR spacer

53. Throttle Position Sensor - Relates the percentage of throttle opening to the computer

54. Transmission Dipstick Tube - Auto transmission only

55. Crankcase Ventilation Tube - Allows crankcase fumes to enter the intake system

56. Wiring Harness - Cable system that connects all of the engine's electrical components to the computer in the passenger side kick panel

57. AC Accumulator - Provides a storage area for the refrigerant in the AC system and houses a chemical drier that removes moisture from the refrigerant

58. Vacuum Check Valve - Allows air to flow in only one direction in order to keep vacuum storage canister fully charged

59. Hood Ground Strap

60. AC Low Pressure Switch - Will not allow the air conditioner compressor clutch to energize if refrigerant pressure drops to an unsafe limit
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Fox Body Engine Compartment.jpg
Views:	8295
Size:	107.6 KB
ID:	30328  

Old 08-15-2011, 06:44 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Otlaw80 is unknown around these parts

Awesome! Thanks a ton. Is the vacuum canister necessary? I don't need the thermactor air solenoids as I removed the smog pump system. Is there really a problem with vacuum on these stock engines at WOT?
Old 08-15-2011, 07:01 AM   #4
Road Trip!
Supporter

Trojan Horse is just getting started.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otlaw80 View Post
Awesome! Thanks a ton. Is the vacuum canister necessary? I don't need the thermactor air solenoids as I removed the smog pump system. Is there really a problem with vacuum on these stock engines at WOT?
I'd leave the canister on there. At WOT the vacuum goes away quickly and you may find yourself in need of a bit of vacuum to operate the brake booster and what not.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2014 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT