Mustang Evolution Forum banner

Spacer

1K views 22 replies 6 participants last post by  XXSTEVEO66 
#1 ·
Can I use a spacer on my cooling fan? Will it throw the water pump shaft out of balance? Looking to put a 1/2" spacer cause my fan is to close to crank pulley. Any ideas?

#2 ·
Yes, you can use a spacer.
Just make sure you use a good quality manufactured spacer and not some home fabricated piece and then you won't have to worry about the balance.

#3 ·
See my problem is ever since I put the supercharger in, the crank pulley being for two belts now is maybe a 1/4" away from the fan blade. Now my stang sounds like a Mack truck with that loud wooing noise never had that problem b4. Fan clutch is new I figured if I space it I'll get it to quiet down.

---------- Post added at 10:10 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:09 PM ----------

I was told that the air bouncing of the crank pulley is causing that noise.

#4 ·
See my problem is ever since I put the supercharger in, the crank pulley being for two belts now is maybe a 1/4" away from the fan blade. Now my stang sounds like a Mack truck with that loud wooing noise never had that problem b4. Fan clutch is new I figured if I space it I'll get it to quiet down.

---------- Post added at 10:10 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:09 PM ----------

I was told that the air bouncing of the crank pulley is causing that noise.
Yes, I could see where that might be the case.
You could also get rid of the engine driven fan and install an electric fan if you wished. That would free up another 10-20 hp at certain rpm's and get rid of that noise and clearance problem.

#6 ·
True, but depending upon what all you already have (ignition, stereo equipment, etc.) you may need a bigger alternator anyways.
The only time I ever really notice my electric fan is when the car is idling sitting still. :good:

#10 ·
I might be wrong but I feel fan clutch puts out more cfm than electric fans.
No, you are not wrong.
The engine driven cooling fan is powered by 200-300+ HP.
That would be hard to beat with an electric fan motor.

BUT... It puts out way more air flow than is actually needed to cool the engine.
So, it is really wasting all that air flow and the fuel being burned to produce it.

#12 ·
Yes, or a Lincoln MKIII, SN95 Mustang, etc. etc.

#15 ·
Meansaleen said:
If im not mistaken the fan clutch puts out closer to 4000 cfm
2000at idle and it slips as rpm's rise. It's probably closer to 4000 when the clutch engages though, but it starts slipping again when the engine cools off enough.

#19 ·
Meansaleen said:
Do u have a dual fan set up or single?
I have a single setup from proform and it has been more than plenty.

---------- Post added at 05:41 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:38 PM ----------

Also using an alternator out of a 95 gt. Rather easy with minor modifications.

#21 ·
XXSTEVEO66 said:
Question....would I need a larger alt with a single elec fan?...no a/c no radio 1 power window (pass window does't wrk)....the kicker is I have underdrive pulleys...im sticking with clutch fan just a random question..
I would, the 75 amp just isn't that great at handling the draw.

#22 ·
XXSTEVEO66 said:
Question....would I need a larger alt with a single elec fan?...no a/c no radio 1 power window (pass window does't wrk)....the kicker is I have underdrive pulleys...im sticking with clutch fan just a random question..
after i installed my electric fan and underdrive pulleys my battery wouldnt charge at idle.i had to put the stock alternator pulley back on then it was fine.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.