t5 issues - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2014 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT

Join Mustang Evolution Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 08-15-2011, 07:55 PM   #1
Road Trip!

dreamstang is unknown around these parts
t5 issues

New clucth triple quadrant and firewall adjuster .I bought the clutch(king conta) because it was hard to shift I figured the clutch was worn.it grinds in every gear ,not as much if I really ram it in their.when I'm driving and push the clutch in it sounds like the clutch is releasing.I have adjusted it everywere from half the pedal has slop , to no slop at all.one thing that was weird when I went to put the new pilot bearing on it did not fit.I called the place that I bought the clutch from and confirmed it was the right bearing.my shaft was smaller which makes me think that previous owner messed the shaft up and turned it down or the trans was from a different make.the bearing was good so I reused it.also the car was originally an auto.if it was a syncro it would do it in only in certain gears right?is my trans messed up.any ideas?please help.

Old 08-15-2011, 08:24 PM   #2
Road Trip!
Supporter

Trojan Horse is just getting started.
Re: t5 issues

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamstang View Post
New clucth triple quadrant and firewall adjuster .I bought the clutch(king conta) because it was hard to shift I figured the clutch was worn.it grinds in every gear ,not as much if I really ram it in their.when I'm driving and push the clutch in it sounds like the clutch is releasing.I have adjusted it everywere from half the pedal has slop , to no slop at all.one thing that was weird when I went to put the new pilot bearing on it did not fit.I called the place that I bought the clutch from and confirmed it was the right bearing.my shaft was smaller which makes me think that previous owner messed the shaft up and turned it down or the trans was from a different make.the bearing was good so I reused it.also the car was originally an auto.if it was a syncro it would do it in only in certain gears right?is my trans messed up.any ideas?please help.
The issue with the pilot bearing makes me think that someone used a transmission from behind a smaller engine in your car.
It is also possible that all of the synchros in your transmission are worn or damaged.
I believe you can get a rebuild kit for around $250 for a standard T5.
Somewhere in all of the thousands of files I have stored on my PC I have an article on how to rebuild the T5's, so you could do it yourself and save the labor costs if you wanted to.

Why don't you get the numbers off of the transmission and any tags on it you can find and post them up here. Then we will see if we can figure out exactly what you have.

Old 08-15-2011, 08:27 PM   #3
Road Trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trojan Horse

The issue with the pilot bearing makes me think that someone used a transmission from behind a smaller engine in your car.
It is also possible that all of the synchros in your transmission are worn or damaged.
Somewhere in all of the thousands of files I have stored on my PC I have an article on how to rebuild the T5's, so you could do it yourself and save the labor costs if you wanted to.

Why don't you get the numbers off of the transmission and any tags on it you can find and post them up here. Then we will see if we can figure out exactly what you have.
Will do ,give me a day or so I will get under there.
Old 08-15-2011, 08:32 PM   #4
Road Trip!
Supporter

Quote:
Will do ,give me a day or so I will get under there.
That will be fine.
In a couple of days I have to go in for some pre-surgery tests, so I may be out for a bit.
Be patient and I will be back to help you as soon as I can.
Old 08-15-2011, 08:38 PM   #5
Road Trip!

Quote:

That will be fine.
In a couple of days I have to go in for some pre-surgery tests, so I may be out for a bit.
No problem.that is way more important than what I'm doing good luck!
Old 08-15-2011, 09:27 PM   #6
Regular
Supporter

93slowstang is unknown around these parts
Quote:

That will be fine.
Good luck with the tests an surgery

---------- Post added at 10:27 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:26 PM ----------

Quote:

Definitely sounds like a non W/C tranny

93 GT with more junkyard mods than you can imagine.
90 GT bone stock down to the air filter, awaiting restoration.
Join Mustang Evolution today. Click here
93slowstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 09:30 PM   #7
Road Trip!
Supporter

Thanks guys. I appreciate the thoughts.
Old 08-15-2011, 09:32 PM   #8
Regular
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamstang
Have you made sure the clutch arm is on the pivot ball? I had issues with mine only clipping on one side and it took me a while to figure it out.

Old 08-16-2011, 04:40 AM   #9
Road Trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 93slowstang

Have you made sure the clutch arm is on the pivot ball? I had issues with mine only clipping on one side and it took me a while to figure it out.
It did this problem before and after the install.no I haven't double checked that.can I see it through the hole the fork goes in?or do I just wiggle it?if the trans was from another car can the input shaft be to short,or the bell housing to big?in pulling the numbers today and ill look at the fork.
Old 08-16-2011, 04:43 AM   #10
Regular
Supporter

Quote:

It did this problem before and after the install.no I haven't double checked that.can I see it through the hole the fork goes in?or do I just wiggle it?if the trans was from another car can the input shaft be to short,or the bell housing to big?in pulling the numbers today and ill look at the fork.
The shaft length and bell housing are the same, the ends that go in the pilot bearing ate what differ

Old 08-16-2011, 11:07 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

kbolden50 is unknown around these parts
You have a 2.3 t5 tranny you have to get a bearing for a 84 ranger turbo

---------- Post added at 05:07 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:05 PM ----------

These should fit also
Motormite pilot bearing 14672
84 diesel 2.2 ranger 202ss
84 turbo ranger
84 turbo t bird
motormite bearing 14657
Old 08-16-2011, 01:56 PM   #12
Road Trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbolden50
You have a 2.3 t5 tranny you have to get a bearing for a 84 ranger turbo

---------- Post added at 05:07 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:05 PM ----------

These should fit also
Motormite pilot bearing 14672
84 diesel 2.2 ranger 202ss
84 turbo ranger
84 turbo t bird
motormite bearing 14657
How do you know?are they the only ones that bolt to that Bell housing?
Old 08-16-2011, 03:25 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

kbolden50 is unknown around these parts
The part of the input shaft that goes in to the pilot bearing is smaller on a 2.3 t5 tranny I have one in my car and had the same problem when I changed my clutch and the pilot bearing didn't fit that came with it so after some time on the Internet and 2 hours at autozone I got a list of ones that would work
Old 08-16-2011, 04:05 PM   #14
Road Trip!

Quote:

Trans 13-52-065-908 Borg warner. Bell housing e6zr 6394 aa

---------- Post added at 05:03 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:02 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbolden50
The part of the input shaft that goes in to the pilot bearing is smaller on a 2.3 t5 tranny I have one in my car and had the same problem when I changed my clutch and the pilot bearing didn't fit that came with it so after some time on the Internet and 2 hours at autozone I got a list of ones that would work
That makes sense because my Speedo cable doesn't fit.

---------- Post added at 05:05 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:03 PM ----------

Quote:

I checked the fork and it seems ok but I can't really tell.it has about 1/4 to 3/8 front /back movement.is that normal
Old 08-16-2011, 04:09 PM   #15
Regular
Supporter

Quote:

---------- Post added at 05:03 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:02 PM ----------

That makes sense because my Speedo cable doesn't fit.
That's a non world class from an 84 mustang/ capri 5.0. Your speedo cable should work just fine in it.

---------- Post added at 05:09 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:06 PM ----------

Quote:

I checked the fork and it seems ok but I can't really tell.it has about 1/4 to 3/8 front /back movement.is that normal
Mine has about an 1/8" of play. I don't believe you are supposed to have that much at all. Does it feel like it has play on the inside of the bellhousing?

Old 08-16-2011, 04:14 PM   #16
Road Trip!

Quote:

That's a non world class from an 84 mustang/ capri 5.0. Your speedo cable should work just fine in it.

---------- Post added at 05:09 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:06 PM ----------

Mine has about an 1/8" of play. I don't believe you are supposed to have that much at all. Does it feel like it has play on the inside of the bellhousing?
I can't move the fork in and out.only front to back.it does that movement pretty sloppy though.
Old 08-16-2011, 04:17 PM   #17
Regular
Supporter

Quote:

I can't move the fork in and out.only front to back.it does that movement pretty sloppy though.
Then my guess is it's not seated on the pivot ball properly, you may have to back the tranny out to check and be 100% sure.

Old 08-16-2011, 04:23 PM   #18
Road Trip!

That doesn't make sense that the pilot bearing doesn't fit.the only thing I can think of is someone turned the shaft down cause they filled it up by locking up the pilot bearing.

---------- Post added at 05:22 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:20 PM ----------

Quote:

Then my guess is it's not seated on the pivot ball properly, you may have to back the tranny out to check and be 100% sure.
When I'm not shifting but just driving and hit the clutch it realeses from the gear that it is in.is it possible that its realing just not enough?

---------- Post added at 05:23 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:22 PM ----------

Quote:
That doesn't make sense that the pilot bearing doesn't fit.the only thing I can think of is someone turned the shaft down cause they filled it up by locking up the pilot bearing.

---------- Post added at 05:22 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:20 PM ----------

When I'm not shifting but just driving and hit the clutch it realeses from the gear that it is in.is it possible that its realing just not enough?
"releasing"
Old 08-16-2011, 04:30 PM   #19
Regular
Supporter

Well you're getting the correct pilot bearing for your car. The shaft is smaller at the end on your tranny because it is a NWC, and yours was equipped with a WC from the factory.

---------- Post added at 05:30 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:28 PM ----------

Yes it is possible it's not releasing enough to change gears.

Old 08-16-2011, 04:32 PM   #20
Road Trip!

Quote:
Well you're getting the correct pilot bearing for your car. The shaft is smaller at the end on your tranny because it is a NWC, and yours was equipped with a WC from the factory.
Ok that answers my question .being a direct swap I would have thought that the shaft would be the same.probably just need to swap it for WC .I will probably pull the trans anyway to check the fork.
Old 08-16-2011, 04:33 PM   #21
Regular
Supporter

Try getting a bearing for an 84 5.0 mustang, that should fix the shaft problem.

Old 08-16-2011, 04:34 PM   #22
Road Trip!

Quote:

---------- Post added at 05:30 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:28 PM ----------

Yes it is possible it's not releasing enough to change gears.
Thanx for the help
Old 08-16-2011, 04:37 PM   #23
Regular
Supporter

Quote:

Thanx for the help
No problem at all. Let us know how it goes or if you need help with anything else. I'm about to change my throw out bearing while my cars out of commission.

Old 08-16-2011, 08:03 PM   #24
Road Trip!
Supporter

Quote:

Thanks to 93slowstang for picking up where I left off.

Here's a link to a site with more information.
Identifying a T5 5 Speed
Old 08-16-2011, 08:15 PM   #25
Regular
Supporter

Anytime Trojan, was gonna put the link but the phones acting strange, and computers down.

Old 08-16-2011, 08:25 PM   #26
Road Trip!

Quote:

Thanks to 93slowstang for picking up where I left off.

Here's a link to a site with more information.
Identifying a T5 5 Speed
So the # I posted was off the case .that means that it could be wrong?i should go back and look for the tag if still there?i think I remember seeing one when I had it out, but that was like a year ago.
Old 08-16-2011, 08:27 PM   #27
Regular
Supporter

Here is the list

http://www.britishv8.org/Articles/Bo...T5-ID-Tags.htm

Old 08-16-2011, 08:31 PM   #28
Road Trip!

Thanx again guys! What wouldi do without this great app/site.
Old 08-17-2011, 04:12 PM   #29
Road Trip!

Quote:
So I went back under and found a metal tag. 1352-162. Acording to your chart it is an 87 2.3 WC .are the 2.3 trans as stought?the only thing different is gear ratios right?

---------- Post added at 05:12 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:50 PM ----------

Quote:

So I went back under and found a metal tag. 1352-162. Acording to your chart it is an 87 2.3 WC .are the 2.3 trans as stought?the only thing different is gear ratios right?
I am just wondering because since it is a wc it might be worth rebuilding.
Old 08-17-2011, 04:37 PM   #30
Regular
Supporter

Quote:

---------- Post added at 05:12 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:50 PM ----------

I am just wondering because since it is a wc it might be worth rebuilding.
It is still noticeably weaker, it's rated at 240tq. Your stock trans was 265, and 90-93 was 300.

It will be fine until you put a lot of horsepower to it.

Old 08-17-2011, 04:45 PM   #31
Road Trip!

Quote:

It is still noticeably weaker, it's rated at 240tq. Your stock trans was 265, and 90-93 was 300.

It will be fine until you put a lot of horsepower to it.
I think I might atempt the rebuild.I have been waiting over 2 years to get on the road and this is the last major problem.as long as it last a little while it will be worth it.
Old 08-17-2011, 05:24 PM   #32
Regular
Supporter

Quote:

I think I might atempt the rebuild.I have been waiting over 2 years to get on the road and this is the last major problem.as long as it last a little while it will be worth it.
It should last a while as long as you don't have too high of horsepower, and you don't abuse it too much. I would also get the proper input shaft bearing too if you haven't already done so.

Old 08-17-2011, 05:26 PM   #33
Road Trip!

Does the 2.3 and 5.0 use a different clutch.i did not know this when I bought the clutch?!?
Old 08-17-2011, 05:27 PM   #34
Regular
Supporter

Should be different. You need the clutch for the 5.0.

Old 08-17-2011, 05:34 PM   #35
Road Trip!

Quote:
Should be different. You need the clutch for the 5.0.
thats what i bought . i just didnt know if the 5.0 clutch was compatible with the 2.3 tran.
when i actualy did the clutch since the pilot bearing didnt fit,neither did the alignment tool.so i had to take the alignment tool and turn it down to fit bearing since the clutch was for a 5.0

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2014 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT