Mustang Evolution Forum banner

Car not staying charged

3K views 16 replies 7 participants last post by  Jettin Stang 
#1 ·
So I installed auto meter gauges to replace the factory cluster and now the car makes a beeping noise when u turn the key to start the car and will run until the battery drains and will shut off...the alternator is gd but its not charging the battery...any ideas?

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
You don't need the battery to run a car only start battery is just there to start. Alternator may be good but you could have a wiring problem . You should be able to start car and unhook battery . Check ur wiring coming from the alt

#5 ·
Tbonestang may be right, Check your wiring, even though you did not touch Altenator wiring, something could have been hit/moved/touched and could be "grounding" out.

#10 ·
Thanks sleeping stang its getting unplugged now

---------- Post added at 05:13 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:11 PM ----------

XXSTEVEO66 said:
I had a similar prob and it was the voltage regulator in the alt...it shorts out and drains the batt even when the car was off...though im not sure what this can have to do with a gauge clutster beepin and s#!t..??..
Nope it wasn't the same but its fixed tho

#12 ·
SleepingStang said:
Just remember that unplugging that box will disable the airbag as far as I know. Then again many cars before didn't have bags. Hope it all helped. Were you able to see the FAQ on that alt problem. Sounds like what your experiencing.
Thats fine I'm not gonna use the factory steering wheel when I find one I lik....yea that help the car runs go fine now n stays charged now

#17 ·
SleepingStang said:
Did you get the sending unit with the gauge or are you using the factory sender? The autometer fuel gauge has it's own sender. I do not believe it can be made to work with the factory one.
No cuz I bought the gauge that works w the factory one....but the plug for my oil n fuel came partially unplugged one day when I was diving it n didn't work after that but the new oil gauge works but the fuel doesnt

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.