Mustang Evolution Forum banner

95 cobra squeal

16K views 23 replies 6 participants last post by  lowflyn 
#1 ·
Thought it was bearings in one of my pulleys but I'm not hearing it real well while standing in front of the motor with the hood up. If I get on the ground I hear it better under the car. What could this be? It doesn't do it all the time.

#2 ·
Hey nice stang man. If it's a pulley u can check by taking the Serpentine belt off and spinning the pulleys one by one see if they wobble Or make the noise your talking about but it sounds like idler tensioner they make belt conditioner or a bar of soap does the same thing hope thAt helps

#3 ·
Thanks. I've already done as you stated above. I've also have put a new power steering pump on, new tensioner pulley, and had my alternator rebuilt. I can hear it 100 times better from under the car than in front with hood up looking at the pulleys. The only pulleys left are the crank, idler, ac, and water pump. The one for smog is replaced with a stand alone pully.

#5 ·
Fox5.0 said:
The only thing under neath there that I can think would be the harmonic balancer look at the rubber strip that goes around it if it's not flush or cracked /broken off it will make it hum and usually wobble
Harmonic Balancer for sure. They are known to warp in these cars. Mine went on my stock engine to, cheap and easy fix

#15 ·
Fox5.0 said:
No it's not to hard chilton Manuel should get u through it but make sure it's bad first did u see the rubber piece I was talking about if it's not looken bad not it more info might help does get louder or quiter at anytime any thing changed recently
No it doesn't get louder at anytime but it does come and go. Nothing has changed recently. I've read where it can spin so you can check it by marking the two pieces with a line. Drive it for awhile and check for the lines to still match up.

#16 ·
jhagan1980 said:
Changing what? Throw out bearing? Will it squeal if the pedal is pushed down?
Yeah the throw out bearing, it's a pain to do right now but it's gotta be done, and yes it was squealing even with the pedal pushed in.

#18 ·
jhagan1980 said:
It's not a DD, if it was the TOB would it be alright to make it a winter project?
It should only really take a day, maybe 2 if you take your time. It would be a good time to change your clutch if it is your TOB.

#20 ·
jhagan1980 said:
Sorry I should've clarified better, would it be safe to drive occasionally till winter? I'm not gonna screw anything up by doing so, right?
If that is the problem it might make it without doing any damage. It will definitely screw the clutch up if it breaks apart.

#23 ·
Not necessarily as it is located down low in the engine.

It could be the bearing in your idler pulley or you may have a pulley that is just worn out and slipping the belt a bit.

Try "lightly" spraying the belt with some penetrating oil at the pulleys one at a time.
I have successfully used this method to locate squealing problems before.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.