Mustang Evolution Forum banner

Shifting issues

15K views 8 replies 3 participants last post by  XXSTEVEO66 
#1 ·
Here's the deal about 3months ago I started having probs getting my car into gear.i had to put the clutch to the floor...then a day or two later the clutch cable broke
Since then I have replaced the flywheel,clutch,and clutch cable and all was well....untill today the same things is happening I have to push the clutch to the floor...wtf?..why?!!!
I have not looked under the car for more then a few seconds and the cable "looks" ok....the only thing I haven't replaced is the original plastic clutch quadrant...
Anyone have a clue??..

#2 ·
Replace the quadrant and add a firewall adjuster.
Make sure the cable has not been damaged or burned on the exhaust.

#3 ·
Ok...the race shop has a billet aluminum quadrant...im not gettin the firewall adjuster just now cuz the guy says most of the people coming in with busted cables had them...and the quadrant has two points of adjustment...i am gettin a new cable just in case..

#4 ·
Most likely the busted cables were caused by just worn out cables.
I don't see how an adjuster could cause them to break, but it's your choice.
A new cable is a good idea.

What brand of quadrant is it?

#5 ·
I got a bbk quadrant and adjustable cable kit...i belive this kit might eliminate the pawl completly so any adjustment will only be made at the bellhousing side of the cable...
They did have a nice ford racing quadrant with 2 cable mounting positions for $36..but I opted for the kit..I have lots of both ford racing and bbk parts and have no probs with either....

#7 ·
Yes they are somewhat of a PITA, but your efforts will be well worth it. :good:

#9 ·
DustenJHammond said:
I snapped 3 cables before installing a Steeda adj. Cable kit I haven't had any problems in 2 years now. I think I have an extra adj. Cable and quadrant laying around with a firewall adjuster, just in case...or for sale if anyone offers...
Yeah I got a new cable (just in case) as well...hopefully I dont have to contact you for any more parts!..

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.