Mustang Evolution Forum banner

Airbag Code 11

16K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  SleepingStang 
#1 ·
Well I have been chasing the pesky airbag code 11 since I got the car. Arrived just today is my used 92 air bag control module. From all that I have read this seems to be the culprit. I plan on replacing it Sunday as I have a car show on Saturday. I'll keep you guys up on my progress and my plan is to photograph it and do a write up for anyone having similar problems. I am thinking also that if thus fixes it I am going to dive into the stock one and see if I can correct that. If so I'll write that one up too.

#2 ·
That's a great idea!
Thank you for being thoughtful enough to do it. :good:

#3 ·
Ok so I got the unit from Arizona Mustang, thanks to Brent. To get the unit out some dash removal is necessary.

Electronics Audio equipment Technology Electronic device Home appliance

The trim panel in front of the controls comes off and then 4 9/32 screws (torx 20) need to come out. Behind the heating cooling controls are the actual switches. The two knobs pictured need to come off, just a tug straight out will do the trick. Then there are some electrical plugs to disconnect. The vacuum lines do not need to be disconnected. There are 2 gold colored screws (1/4 inch) that need to come out. Once out rotate the connectors from their plastic clips and they will separate from the housing.

Windshield Mode of transport Auto part Automotive exterior Car

This is what you should end up with.

Now you can see the blue box (airbag control module). Here are 2 connectors to this box. Now if you have not disconnected the battery, both positive and negative terminals to be safe and discharge the airbag circuit, DO SO AT THIS TIME BEFORE UNPLUGGING THESE CONNECTORS. After about 5 minutes I unplugged these connectors. These simply need to be pinched on top and bottom and pulled straight out.

There are 2 (7 mm) screws holding the module to the dash. These were the biggest PIA to remove. Once out though the box is freed. I had to turn it sideways (connectors facing out) and ease it out of the climate control space.

Blue Sky Turquoise Cloud Technology

To reinstall just reverse the removal process. After everything is connected I reconnected the battery and was glad I had no BOOM! Now unfortunately this did not fix my code 11, however I did receive a code 51 so something was wrong with the other controller. So now I need to look for the code 52 (intermittent short to ground) and repair that.

Despite not fixing my problem I am glad I did it because now I know I need to locate whatever the real problem is.

Because this is for airbag repair I make no guarantee that if you follow the steps that I did that your airbag will not deploy. If you follow this you understand that you assume all risk. If you have any doubts of this working for you I would suggest you go to a certified mechanic.

I will keep this updated as I work out my problem.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.