Mustang Evolution Forum banner

Tightening rocker arms

18K views 14 replies 4 participants last post by  Qwik Four Six 
#1 ·
My early 80s 302 has 1.72 roller rockers. It's not a valve ticking but it makes a small ticking noise. My dad said it was a loose rocker. So since it's had the work to be a roller motor don't I just take the valve covers off and tighten the bolt on the top of the rockers?

#2 ·
Yes, if it has pedestal style rocker arms.

#11 ·
Why would I need to do this? It runs fine. Just sounded like a loose rocker. Idk... It might be a small exhaust leak.

---------- Post added at 03:04 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:04 PM ----------

I don't have the time or the patience to do that anyway. Lol

#12 ·
Blb97stang said:
Why would I need to do this? It runs fine. Just sounded like a loose rocker. Idk... It might be a small exhaust leak.

---------- Post added at 03:04 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:04 PM ----------

I don't have the time or the patience to do that anyway. Lol
Wrong tightening procedure cause loose of power.
It's your engine.
Ok

#14 ·
If you think it might be an exhaust leak, fasten a small piece of white rag (for better visibility) on the end of a stick or rod of some type and use it to check around the header flanges and other possible leak areas. If the bit of rag flutters around then you have located a leak.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.