Old tubed gt-40 intake - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 08-21-2011, 10:24 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Old tubed gt-40 intake

I've heard the intake flowed pretty good and lots of people liked them but does anyone know about a lot about them and about how much I should ask for if I sale it/trade it?
86gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-21-2011, 11:51 PM   #2
Road Trip!
Supporter

Region: Missouri
Re: Old tubed gt-40 intake

Quote:
Originally Posted by 86gt View Post
I've heard the intake flowed pretty good and lots of people liked them but does anyone know about a lot about them and about how much I should ask for if I sale it/trade it?
The GT40 intake is lighter and it will run a bit cooler due to the exposed tubes which allow airflow and has more surface area exposed, but it is also said to be louder as the air passes through the tubes because it lacks the thickness and sound dampening properties of the cast intakes. The lower intake is the bottleneck on the GT40 and Cobra intakes. It would be nice to see a comparison with a ported lower on each upper manifold.

As you can see there is not much difference between the GT40, Cobra and Explorer intake manifolds. The GT40 however looks much better IMO.

I have seen prices ranging from a low of $250 to a high of $600. It would depend upon the condition of your intake and how bad someone else wants it I suppose. Are you talking upper and lower or just upper?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	GT40-Cobra-Explorer Intake Comparison.jpg
Views:	1476
Size:	280.9 KB
ID:	30771  
Trojan Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 02:50 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Upper and lower but I don't have the upper cover for it. The previous owner painted the plentum box to color match the car so I need to figure out how to get the paint off without messing up the original finish.
I would like to trade it for a trick flow set up or the like but not sure if it's worth it for someone to trade?

---------- Post added at 02:50 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:42 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trojan Horse

The GT40 intake is lighter and it will run a bit cooler due to the exposed tubes which allow airflow and has more surface area exposed, but it is also said to be louder as the air passes through the tubes because it lacks the thickness and sound dampening properties of the cast intakes. The lower intake is the bottleneck on the GT40 and Cobra intakes. It would be nice to see a comparison with a ported lower on each upper manifold.

As you can see there is not much difference between the GT40, Cobra and Explorer intake manifolds. The GT40 however looks much better IMO.

I have seen prices ranging from a low of $250 to a high of $600. It would depend upon the condition of your intake and how bad someone else wants it I suppose. Are you talking upper and lower or just upper?
Wow...the power curve is almost the exact same for all three of them, just a little better torque curve for the tubed intake but not enough to be able to feel it!
So I guess it would just depend on the looks of it, if someone would be willing to trade.
Thanks Trojan, always good information!
86gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-22-2011, 07:52 AM   #4
Road Trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trojan Horse

One what year is that from and what else was done to the engine
tbonestang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 08:40 AM   #5
Road Trip!
Supporter

Region: Missouri

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbonestang View Post
One what year is that from and what else was done to the engine
Don't know for sure.
There won't be much difference unless they are SC'd then the GT40 will pull ahead a bit.
Trojan Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 03:11 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey

if you look at all those numbers on those intakes ,they are all within a few horse of each other ,thats because they are basically identical ,with variations in casting that skew the numbers just a bit from each other ....... the advantage of the gt40 is the cooler air ,as Trojanhorse said ........ but it also has a disadvantage because you can't port the upper ,there's no material there to do it , but you can port the upper plenum's on the other 2 ...............

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT