Odd Question About The 5.0 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT

Join Mustang Evolution Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 08-25-2011, 01:05 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Exclamation Odd Question About The 5.0

alright yall this is got me kinda stumped. earlier i posted on how my car leaked inside the car,under the dash when it rained out. well i pin pointed the problem and dont know why it was done, the guy before me cut two holes, one on the passenger side and one on the drivers side in the air ducts down below, the only reason i can think why he would do this is because the air only blows out the defrost vents and maybe he was trying to get air flow down their but i am not sure. does anyone know why he woulda cut those holes, and should i patch them? is their a way to diagnose the air only coming out the defrost problem?
crkmonzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-25-2011, 01:31 PM   #2
Road Trip!

Region: Alabama
Sounds like ur vents are pluged up can u post a pick of the hack job?
Hawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-25-2011, 01:40 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Re: Odd Question About The 5.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawk View Post
Sounds like ur vents are pluged up can u post a pick of the hack job?
ya ill go do that now, give me a couple mins
Old 08-25-2011, 02:00 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

here is the one on the driverside trying to do passenger now
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	cut.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	69.1 KB
ID:	30910  
Old 08-25-2011, 02:03 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

and here is the passenger side
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	cut 2.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	67.0 KB
ID:	30911  
Old 08-25-2011, 02:25 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Are u sure that it's not the heater core if it leaks, it leaks on the passenger side common problem I had to by pass mine I'll look at my vents and c what I can't figure out unique problem never heard some one doing that to the vents
Fox5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 03:18 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox5.0 View Post
Are u sure that it's not the heater core if it leaks, it leaks on the passenger side common problem I had to by pass mine I'll look at my vents and c what I can't figure out unique problem never heard some one doing that to the vents
it comes out from those holes, on both sides, but worse on the passenger side and i dont use my heat cause i live in florida, so if it is the heater core what do i do to fix that?
Old 08-25-2011, 03:47 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Easy if u look At the fire wall on the left side there's two hoses hooked to the fire wall they go to heater core hook those hose together or buy new hose but ya let me knw u need a pic
Old 08-25-2011, 03:58 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

ya if you wanna take a pic that would help, so they would leak out the hose when it rains?
Old 08-25-2011, 06:13 PM   #10
Road Trip!

Region: Alabama
Hmm y in gods green and blue earth would someone do that? Looks like who ever had it was trying to fab up some cooling vents sorta like what i have in my dodge only problem how to close it lol figure he relized its more trouble tgen its worth and sold the car but that a rough guess at best i wish i could just crawl under there and see wtf this dude was thinking and fix it for ya!
Hawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 06:20 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

No and if it only leaks when it rains then this ain't it but You know how if your cars cold you heater don't work because coolant needs to get hot then runs through the heater core the fan blower motor push hot air into your car.the heater core is in the dash passenger side it's a little radiator and they leak like one hope that help and for the pic my finger iis pointing at my the by pass hose that does a loop But were my knuckles are the two necks sticken out is your heater core u should have hose ran to them
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image-76248956.png
Views:	74
Size:	714.0 KB
ID:	30918  
Old 08-25-2011, 06:27 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Wisconsin
If it is only leaking when it rains and is on the passenger side this indicates to me that you need to clean out garbage in you cowl area. Remove the wiper arms and cowl trim panel, reach your hand into the passenger side of he cowl and see if there is any crap in it. There is a small raised metal portion on the side which Isherwood air intake for the climate control. If the cowl us not draining fast enough water will rise up over this area and drip into the cooling fan area and deposit itself mainly on the passenger side. With hose new holes someone cut the water is just making it's way to the other side of the car.
SleepingStang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 07:27 PM   #13
Road Trip!
Supporter

Region: Missouri

The reason you cannot change from defrost to lower or middle vents is because either your control is damaged and not working or the flap that directs the air flow inside the duct work is stuck.

SleepingStang is right, The water is likely getting in through your "fresh air" opening if the cowl drains are plugged up.
Trojan Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 07:51 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey
What else u can do is find the drain tube for the heater box and blow some compressed air into the tube. If their is something blocking that passage the heater box will fill up with water and overflow into the car. I would not suggest using your mouth to blow in it because when that obstruction let's lose it will go into your mouth. For the defrost problem u should check all the vacuum lines to make sure that they are not broken or not connected. The hack job may be because the guy before u was an idiot or just trying to get more flow to his feet. Or he got drunk and likes to cut things.
Jon517 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 09:03 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by SleepingStang View Post
If it is only leaking when it rains and is on the passenger side this indicates to me that you need to clean out garbage in you cowl area. Remove the wiper arms and cowl trim panel, reach your hand into the passenger side of he cowl and see if there is any crap in it. There is a small raised metal portion on the side which Isherwood air intake for the climate control. If the cowl us not draining fast enough water will rise up over this area and drip into the cooling fan area and deposit itself mainly on the passenger side. With hose new holes someone cut the water is just making it's way to the other side of the car.
makes totally sense now that you say it, i just remembered when i bought the car it was under a tree and it was covered in leaves. i bet the cowl is jammed packed full of them.

and ya sense the air only comes out the defrost i think he was trying to make more air flow come out the bottom. i know this car came from a idiot now, he didnt actually sell me the car his father did or i prolly would of never bought it, the first time i cleaned it out i found litte "green" plant buds all over the car. so i bet the guy was stoned one day and thought he was Mr Ford and tried fixing the problem with a hack job and made it worse
Old 08-25-2011, 11:18 PM   #16
Regular
Supporter

Region: Louisiana
Figured you would have checked the cowl by now.

93 GT with more junkyard mods than you can imagine.
90 GT bone stock down to the air filter, awaiting restoration.
Join Mustang Evolution today. Click here
93slowstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT