95 GT questions - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 08-31-2011, 03:37 AM   #1
Moderator Emeritus
Regular

Region: Other
Question 95 GT questions

Hey guys I'm new here and have a couple questions. I just picked up a 95 GT, and noticed some things that I didn't on my first 95.

First question. The car is an automatic and when cruising at 2,000rpm I'm only running about 67MPH. In my first 95 a 5spd car with 2.73's I'd be running 80MPH. the best I can tell the tag on the hogs head is gone. What gearing do I have? 3.08? 3.27? Any body know?

Question two. On the passenger side valve cover the build sticker has a BIG +10 in the top left corner. Any ideas what this might mean? HP? TQ? Comp? Some kind of clearance or tolerance?

Thanks in advance, I will be filling out my profile with pics and info in the morning/afternoon, but I had to get these questions out there because I've been mulling them since Friday when I picked the car up. Also I did not search for the answers yet. Again thanks, the site looks cool as hell too!

-Ed
deadsp0t is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-31-2011, 03:49 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Re: 95 GT questions

welcome!
blackhawk 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 04:01 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Mississippi
I would say probably along the line of 3.55s but not sure on valve cover
Advertisement

Old 08-31-2011, 12:13 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
Well with manual you have a fifth gear so your rpms will be lower than auto at cruising speed.
Meansaleen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 12:44 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular
Supporter

Region: Louisiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meansaleen
Well with manual you have a fifth gear so your rpms will be lower than auto at cruising speed.
Aode 4th = .667
t5 5th = .68

93 GT with more junkyard mods than you can imagine.
90 GT bone stock down to the air filter, awaiting restoration.
Join Mustang Evolution today. Click here
93slowstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 01:28 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 93slowstang

Aode 4th = .667
t5 5th = .68
So with that being the fact of the matter it's probably a 3.08, or 3.27, which is standard for the 99' and up cars? Btw the car is loaded. The only thing I can tell it doesn't have is a disc changer, which I don't know if a changer was offered in 95'.
Old 08-31-2011, 01:57 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadsp0t

So with that being the fact of the matter it's probably a 3.08, or 3.27, which is standard for the 99' and up cars? Btw the car is loaded. The only thing I can tell it doesn't have is a disc changer, which I don't know if a changer was offered in 95'.
Provided that the gears are still stock then yes it's either of those.

Old 08-31-2011, 02:05 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus
Regular

Cool big thanks man.

Anyone have any idea about the valve cover sticker?
Old 08-31-2011, 02:28 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular
Supporter

Np, can't find anything about that sticker though.

Old 09-01-2011, 02:54 AM   #10
Moderator Emeritus
Regular

Ok here is something else.. In the glove box there is a gray cable with a selector switch on the end(that's removable) with
0-7 to choose from. On the cable there is a white tag with "shielded calibration select cable M.A.C. 2" printed on it. The dealer said it changes the timing. I'm of the thought that it is connected to the ECU and selects between different programs. There is also a cable coming from in front of the shifter with an end that fits on my iPhone(dealer claimed it was an iPod hook up) but when I connect my phone the phone says the equipment does not support charging. I believe this is for a hand held programer or laptop. I've started the car on all the 0 through 7 selections and 3 and 4 are the only ones the car feels
Good and shifts normally. I've not pulled the kick panel yet but I was wondering if anyone has any idea what I'm dealing with? I would prefer to remove it, unless what programs it can be had cheap/easy. Mainly b/c when I put a chip in the plug on top of the ECU of my other 95 I had issues afterward. Has anyone herd of a set up like this? The tag on the gray cable also has a date like 5/20/10 on it. I searched the words on the tag on here a couple diff ways with zero results. Thanks.
Old 09-01-2011, 11:49 AM   #11
Road Trip!

Sct tuner selecter
tbonestang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 12:05 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular
Supporter

The iPod connection may be outdated to your phone, the selector may be for either an SCT chip or superchip. There's another brand it could be but I can't remember off hand.

Old 09-01-2011, 01:43 PM   #13
Moderator Emeritus
Regular

Can it be tuned? Hand held? Laptop? Is it worth if so meaning* programing cost and dyno time at FastLane.. Five years ago was like $150.00 for three(minimum) pulls.
Old 09-01-2011, 03:03 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular
Supporter

Quote:
Can it be tuned? Hand held? Laptop? Is it worth if so meaning* programing cost and dyno time at FastLane.. Five years ago was like $150.00 for three(minimum) pulls.
Sct can be tuned by any tuner, if you want to do it yourself you need the chip burner and software which is expensive. As a regular tuner for mild mods it is fine.

Old 09-01-2011, 06:57 PM   #15
Moderator Emeritus
Regular

I'm off tomorrow I'll probably ride over to fastlane and inquire about a tune
Old 09-02-2011, 01:51 AM   #16
Moderator Emeritus
Regular

Also wondering if I could just remove it. I disconnected the selector and started the car. It started but it acted like it didn't like it.
Old 09-02-2011, 01:59 AM   #17
Registered Member
Regular
Supporter

Quote:
Also wondering if I could just remove it. I disconnected the selector and started the car. It started but it acted like it didn't like it.
You can remove it and the car will run. The 94-95 computers are real sensitive to mods so that may be what's causing it to act up. It also might have to relearn the parameters again as well.

Old 09-10-2011, 06:12 PM   #18
Moderator Emeritus
Regular

Got my lazy *** under the car today.. The tag is on the rear end still and clearly reads 3.27. Which is fine with me. I have a brand new(NOS) 3.27 gear in my building, and it's probably got some rust on it. If they are not rusted way too much could they be saved as 3.27 or would they have to be machined down?
Old 09-11-2011, 11:39 AM   #19
Road Trip!
Supporter

Region: Missouri

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadsp0t View Post
Got my lazy *** under the car today.. The tag is on the rear end still and clearly reads 3.27. Which is fine with me. I have a brand new(NOS) 3.27 gear in my building, and it's probably got some rust on it. If they are not rusted way too much could they be saved as 3.27 or would they have to be machined down?
You can't machine gears.
They are surface hardened and you would be removing that layer of hardening and it is just too difficult/expensive to try and re-heat treat them. Also to change the ratio would require adding or subtracting teeth, so it is just not feasible.

Just clean them up good and preserve them with some preservative or oil.
As long as they are not pitted up to badly they should be OK.
Trojan Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 11:52 AM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Minnesota
Quote:

Look on the rear diff. There will be a tag that will have some numbers on it. My 94 has an oe cd changer
Bought for $2200,Had 97K miles,New fuel tank,New driver front hub,New pass ball joint,New alt, New battery,New fog lights,New plastic bezel shifter,Fixed check engine light,New tires,Coolant flush,Magnaflow exhaust. Its starting to come together towards stock THEN I will make it go FAST!
94 Mustang GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 11:55 AM   #21
Moderator Emeritus
Regular

Cool thanks! Don't know who told me they could be cut down.. Only paid maybe $40 for them 5-6 years ago. Hopefully they will clean up enough to sell them. If my current car had ended up having 3.08 or 2.73 I'd put them in this car but I already have 3.27's factory.

---------- Post added at 10:55 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:54 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94 Mustang GT

Look on the rear diff. There will be a tag that will have some numbers on it. My 94 has an oe cd changer
Ya my tag says 3.27, guess the disc changer is the only option I don't have. Cool thanks for the info man.
Old 10-26-2011, 01:35 PM   #22
Moderator Emeritus
Regular

Ok I got to thinking.. When I took this chip out I went under the hood and turned the timing back to factory marks.. This weekend it dawned on me the timing probably should have been on the factory marks not advanced.

So yesterday I cleaned the contacts, put some dielectric grease on them and re-installed the chip. I did it with the battery unhooked and spout Plug out. Hooked the battery back up and started the the and replaced the spout.

Now on the setting it had ran 'ok' on it runs fantastic and the over all drivability is MUCH better, power is up and shifting is firm.

Am I crazy or does this make sense???

---------- Post added at 02:35 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:31 PM ----------

Also the MPG seems to be much better along with the idle, it's no where as rough as before and before it would sometimes stumble down then pick back up. Not now..
Old 10-26-2011, 02:27 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular
Supporter

Quote:
Ok I got to thinking.. When I took this chip out I went under the hood and turned the timing back to factory marks.. This weekend it dawned on me the timing probably should have been on the factory marks not advanced.

So yesterday I cleaned the contacts, put some dielectric grease on them and re-installed the chip. I did it with the battery unhooked and spout Plug out. Hooked the battery back up and started the the and replaced the spout.

Now on the setting it had ran 'ok' on it runs fantastic and the over all drivability is MUCH better, power is up and shifting is firm.

---------- Post added at 02:35 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:31 PM ----------

Also the MPG seems to be much better along with the idle, it's no where as rough as before and before it would sometimes stumble down then pick back up. Not now..
When I got my chip it was recommended to put timing back at factory settings. Not crazy at all.

Old 10-31-2011, 11:37 AM   #24
Moderator Emeritus
Regular

This chip has a selector switch I assume is for different tunes? On some of the selections after the fuel pump primes it doesn't stop running and the car won't start. On the others is fine.. Any ideas? Intake manifold bolts and other bolts look untouched, I say that because a friend suggested there may have been a power adder before..
Old 10-31-2011, 11:43 AM   #25
Moderator Emeritus
Regular

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2113700630.png
Views:	258
Size:	860.8 KB
ID:	33809
Old 10-31-2011, 01:45 PM   #26
Moderator Emeritus
Regular

I found the 'HOT' tune! Major difference from the others. Completely different then same setting before I took it out and replaced it. Sweet..
Old 10-31-2011, 01:45 PM   #27
Road Trip!
Supporter

Quote:

It makes perfect sense. Almost all of the tuners/chips I have researched and read about prefer the engine timing to be set to factory specs before installing their chips.
The only exception to this are the "custom" burned chips as far as I know.
Old 10-31-2011, 01:47 PM   #28
Moderator Emeritus
Regular

Quote:
I found the 'HOT' tune! Major difference from the others. Completely different then same setting before I took it out and replaced it. Sweet..
On the same 'HOT' tune the MPG seems better then no chip and base timing.
Old 10-31-2011, 01:50 PM   #29
Road Trip!
Supporter

Quote:
This chip has a selector switch I assume is for different tunes? On some of the selections after the fuel pump primes it doesn't stop running and the car won't start. On the others is fine.. Any ideas? Intake manifold bolts and other bolts look untouched, I say that because a friend suggested there may have been a power adder before..
Yes, the switch should be for different tunes.
Usually the max number of tunes is three, but there could be more I suppose.
The positions it does not start on have most likely not had a tune burned to them or they are for some type of power adder.
A previous power adder is always a possibility, but you should see some signs of it having been there.
Old 10-31-2011, 01:53 PM   #30
Road Trip!
Supporter

Quote:
Be carefull about touching any of the components or connections on the circuit board. Static electricity buildup in your body is enough to "kill" some electronics.
You should handle them by the edges only and it would be best if it was mounted inside a box or insulated in some way.
Old 10-31-2011, 01:53 PM   #31
Moderator Emeritus
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trojan Horse

Yes, the switch should be for different tunes.
Usually the max number of tunes is three, but there could be more I suppose.
The positions it does not start on have most likely not had a tune burned to them or they are for some type of power adder.
A previous power adder is always a possibility, but you should see some signs of it having been there.
The thermostat and housing have been changed to a 160, the housing is not the same bright aluminum and has a passage blocked off. I'll take pic.
Old 10-31-2011, 01:55 PM   #32
Moderator Emeritus
Regular

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2053803204.png
Views:	150
Size:	858.5 KB
ID:	33811
Old 10-31-2011, 01:58 PM   #33
Road Trip!
Supporter

Quote:
The thermostat and housing have been changed to a 160, the housing is not the same bright aluminum and has a passage blocked off. I'll take pic.
That 160 T-stat could cause you some issues.
That temp won't let the ECU take the engine out of "cold run" loop and makes it run richer than it should.
A 180 is the lowest temp you should use.

They probably broke the original T-stat housing and had to replace it.
I can't tell you how many times I have seen this over the years.
99.99% of the time it is from over tightening the bolts.

The plugged opening in the top is usually for a temperature sending unit.
However not all vehicles use that port.
If the housing has been changed that could be one sign of a previous power adder installation, but without more evidence to back it up it's really hard to say for sure.
Old 10-31-2011, 02:01 PM   #34
Moderator Emeritus
Regular

Quote:

Be carefull about touching any of the components or connections on the circuit board. Static electricity buildup in your body is enough to "kill" some electronics.
You should handle them by the edges only and it would be best if it was mounted inside a box or insulated in some way.
Oops.. I plan on a switch panel under the radio, we have diamond plate at work

The selector has 0-7

---------- Post added at 03:01 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:58 PM ----------

Quote:

That 160 T-stat could cause you some issues.
That temp won't let the ECU take the engine out of "cold run" loop and makes it run richer than it should.
A 180 is the lowest temp you should use.

They probably broke the original T-stat housing and had to replace it.
I can't tell you how many times I have seen this over the years.
99.99% of the time it is from over tightening the bolts.
Had the cold loop issue with my other 95, though the 160 is great in the humidity here. 200 or 212 stands out to me as stock? So 180 would still be less?
Old 10-31-2011, 02:04 PM   #35
Road Trip!
Supporter

Quote:
Oops.. I plan on a switch panel under the radio, we have diamond plate at work

The selector has 0-7

---------- Post added at 03:01 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:58 PM ----------

Had the cold loop issue with my other 95, though the 160 is great in the humidity here. 200 or 212 stands out to me as stock? So 180 would still be less?
I believe 195 is stock on most Fox and SN95 Mustangs.
Yes, the 180 would still be less.

Interesting that the switch has 7 positions.
Do you have any information on it as far as brand name and model?

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT

« sys Q? | A/C Delete »