Radiator opinions - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 09-04-2011, 11:04 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
Radiator opinions

Just yesterday my fan blade ripped into my radiator it was a ford racing 3 row. Now I never had any cooling issues car stayed at 180 degrees. Do I buy the same one or go for an aluminum ? Give me some opinions. Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-4065481978.png
Views:	193
Size:	845.7 KB
ID:	31336  
Meansaleen is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-04-2011, 01:47 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Save yourself some money and go with the same one, make sure there isnt anything wrong with the fan because that looks like some good scrapes.
bobsurvives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 03:12 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobsurvives
Save yourself some money and go with the same one, make sure there isnt anything wrong with the fan because that looks like some good scrapes.
I agree.

---------- Post added at 04:12 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:11 PM ----------

I agree.
Mustangsandiron is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-04-2011, 10:58 PM   #4
Road Trip!
Supporter

Region: Missouri
Re: Radiator opinions

Depends upon what you have planned later for the car.
If you are ever intending on going with a SC or TC then I would upgrade to an aluminum radiator. If not stay with the stock radiator.

Throw out the old fan blades and maybe even consider going with an electric fan.
Once a set of fan blades have hit something and been damaged a bit they are out of balance. It may not be real noticable, but they will be out of balance nevertheless.
The constant vibration they will give off will eventually lead to failure of the blades themselves or the water pump shaft or bearings.
Trojan Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 07:40 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trojan Horse
Depends upon what you have planned later for the car.
If you are ever intending on going with a SC or TC then I would upgrade to an aluminum radiator. If not stay with the stock radiator.

Throw out the old fan blades and maybe even consider going with an electric fan.
Once a set of fan blades have hit something and been damaged a bit they are out of balance. It may not be real noticable, but they will be out of balance nevertheless.
The constant vibration they will give off will eventually lead to failure of the blades themselves or the water pump shaft or bearings.
My stang is already s/c and i never had a problem with that 3 row. As for the fan blade i sure do need a new one. Lol
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-980536854.png
Views:	118
Size:	929.3 KB
ID:	31380  
Old 09-05-2011, 10:16 AM   #6
Road Trip!
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meansaleen View Post
My stang is already s/c and i never had a problem with that 3 row. As for the fan blade i sure do need a new one. Lol
Then go with what works for you.
The only advantages to the aluminum radiator is a small weight savings and they do transfer heat better/faster than a copper cored radiator, but if you don't really need those advantages then stick with what you have.

You might still want to give some thought to changing out the engine driven fan for an electric one though. With them you are able to better control the temperature of your engine without the fluctuations caused by a constantly running fan.

P.S. Why did the fan come in contact with the radiator anyways?
Old 09-05-2011, 10:21 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Then go with what works for you.
The only advantages to the aluminum radiator is a small weight savings and they do transfer heat better/faster than a copper cored radiator, but if you don't really need those advantages then stick with what you have.

You might still want to give some thought to changing out the engine driven fan for an electric one though. With them you are able to better control the temperature of your engine without the fluctuations caused by a constantly running fan.

P.S. Why did the fan come in contact with the radiator anyways?
When I did the supercharger install the fan blade was a 1/4" away from the crank pulley so I was getting that loud Mack truck fan noise. I put a 7/8" fan spacer checked all clearance and it was good. Well the fan blade clipped the top of the shroud where there's a rectangular recess and sent the blade into the radiator.
Old 09-05-2011, 10:24 AM   #8
Road Trip!
Supporter

Quote:
When I did the supercharger install the fan blade was a 1/4" away from the crank pulley so I was getting that loud Mack truck fan noise. I put a 7/8" fan spacer checked all clearance and it was good. Well the fan blade clipped the top of the shroud where there's a rectangular recess and sent the blade into the radiator.
You might want to check your motor mounts.
It really shouldn't have moved enough for that to happen.
Old 09-05-2011, 10:26 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

You might want to check your motor mounts.
It really shouldn't have moved enough for that to happen.
Motor mounts are new polyurethane. The fan was over an inch away from radiator after spacer install but only a 1/4" away from the part of the shroud it hit.
Old 09-05-2011, 10:30 AM   #10
Road Trip!
Supporter

Quote:
Motor mounts are new polyurethane. The fan was over an inch away from radiator after spacer install but only a 1/4" away from the part of the shroud it hit.
Yep, 1/4" is not far enough. Even with new mounts the engine will move that much.
You may want to go with a solid mount or limiter on the DS of the engine to keep that from happening again.
Old 09-05-2011, 10:33 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Yep, 1/4" is not far enough. Even with new mounts the engine will move that much.
You may want to go with a solid mount or limiter on the DS of the engine to keep that from happening again.
I'm gonna cut that part of the shroud of then I should have plenty of clearance. If not electric fans it is. Just gonna have to put a bigger alternator.
Old 09-05-2011, 10:40 AM   #12
Road Trip!
Supporter

Quote:
I'm gonna cut that part of the shroud of then I should have plenty of clearance. If not electric fans it is. Just gonna have to put a bigger alternator.
The 130 amp SN95 alternator is a popular swap and it will provide you enough power for an electric fan.
Old 09-05-2011, 10:41 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

The 130 amp SN95 alternator is a popular swap and it will provide you enough power for an electric fan.
Will it mount on my car or do I have to fabricate?
Old 09-05-2011, 10:46 AM   #14
Road Trip!
Supporter

Quote:
Will it mount on my car or do I have to fabricate?
For the most part it will bolt on, but you do have to do some clearancing on one of the bracket arms. A file or dremel tool will work.
We can come up with an article somewheres when you get ready to do it.
Old 09-05-2011, 10:48 AM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

For the most part it will bolt on, but you do have to do some clearancing on one of the bracket arms. A file or dremel tool will work.
We can come up with an article somewheres when you get ready to do it.
Obviously my alternator is now mounted underneath the car cause of the s/c. So I'll still need to fabricate?
Old 09-05-2011, 11:00 AM   #16
Road Trip!
Supporter

Quote:
Obviously my alternator is now mounted underneath the car cause of the s/c. So I'll still need to fabricate?
Maybe not.
Best I remember the need for notching one of the arms was to clear another bracket, which may not be the case in your instance.
Old 09-05-2011, 11:01 AM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Thanks for the info.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT