Coolant Type - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 09-09-2011, 10:36 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Coolant Type

i was just wondering what a good coolant is to use, i checked the resivor today and its almost bone dry and i noticed it overheats in traffic so i have to add some coolant, any favorites? its a 92 5.0 HO LX
crkmonzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-09-2011, 10:37 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

Region: Alabama
Send a message via AIM to SpectorV
Re: Coolant Type

find out whats in there, and put in the same, some dont mix and match together. You probably have the green stuff or fold gold. If its ford gold drain it all and put in something else.

I put in prestone any fill last time, drailed all mine and then filled it up.

Why are you losing coolant would be a good question?
2003 Cobra Vert (Redfire) #3938 of 5082 @ 05/27/2003
472rwhp/493rwtq -Modification List - Dyno Sheet
2012 Mustang 3.7L M6 (Kona Blue)
2011 Ford Edge Sport (Red Metallic)
SpectorV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 10:49 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpectorV View Post
find out whats in there, and put in the same, some dont mix and match together. You probably have the green stuff or fold gold. If its ford gold drain it all and put in something else.

I put in prestone any fill last time, drailed all mine and then filled it up.

Why are you losing coolant would be a good question?
i dont think its loosing coolant, i bought the car and now im looking over things, it looks to be a little splash of green at the bottom of the resvior. i just heard that ford used a special coolant and i didnt want to mix coolants, but if it is green it is just normal coolant right?
crkmonzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-11-2011, 01:18 PM   #4
Road Trip!
Supporter

Region: Missouri

Quote:
Originally Posted by crkmonzo View Post
i was just wondering what a good coolant is to use, i checked the resivor today and its almost bone dry and i noticed it overheats in traffic so i have to add some coolant, any favorites? its a 92 5.0 HO LX
Here's some info I located that may help you.

Antifreeze Coolant Reference
Thanks to: How-To Matthew

There are a lot of coolant types to choose from when you go to a well stocked auto parts store, so which one works best in your car? The simple answer is, well, simple: use what came in your car. However, sometimes it may be difficult to decipher what the original equipment manufacturer (OEM) used, especially if you purchased your car used.

In the spirit of trying to keep this often times confusing subject simple, we will review the three basic types of automotive coolant: Inorganic Acid Technology (IAT), Organic Acid Technology (OAT), and Hybrid Organic Acid Technology (HOAT).

IAT coolants are the "traditional green" variety used in virtually all American vehicles from the late 1920s to the mid to late 1990s. Like all antifreeze, it is naturally clear; its color comes from dye. Unlike the other types of antifreeze, it uses silicate and phosphate corrosion inhibitors to protect the metal parts of the engine and cooling system. However, these inhibitors wear out quickly, so IAT type coolants need to be flushed every two years or 30,000 miles.

OAT coolants typically do not use silicate and phosphate corrosion inhibitors. Different manufacturers use different chemical additives to battle rust and corrosion, and they all dye their coolants different colors. GM's ubiquitous DEX-COOL coolant is an OAT antifreeze dyed orange. Toyota, Volkswagen, and Audi all use their own formulas that happen to be dyed pink. Honda uses a dark green dye. OAT coolants have longer service lives than IAT coolants, needing to be flushed every 5 years or 150,000 miles.

HOAT coolants use different additives than OAT, but also use some silicate to protect aluminum surfaces. Modern Ford, Chrysler, and most European vehicles use their own HOAT coolant formulas. Ford's is dyed yellow and Chrysler's is orange (not to be confused with DEX-COOL). Both use the marketing name of GO-5. HOAT coolant has the same service interval as OAT (5 years or 150,000 miles).
Summary
l IAT - Used in early to mid-late 90's Domestic vehicles
l OAT - Used in late 90's GM and most Asian vehicles
l HOAT - Used in 2000's Fords, Chryslers, and most European vehicles

Coolant Cocktails?
Although you can mix coolant types without harm, it is highly recommended against. If you mix an OAT or HOAT with an IAT, you will lose the extended service life of the OAT or HOAT coolant. Some people say that if you mix these types of coolant it can result in the coolant gelling, but if you keep your cooling system well maintained, this should not be a problem. In general, do not make coolant cocktails!
And finally, what about the "Universal, All Makes, All Models" coolant you see stuffing store shelves? Basically, those are OAT DEX-COOL clones. I would personally steer well clear of them unless your vehicle is designed for OAT coolant.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	coolant_chart.jpg
Views:	12663
Size:	433.1 KB
ID:	31699  
Trojan Horse is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT