Twin turbo our supercharged!!! - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 09-19-2011, 09:12 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Twin turbo our supercharged!!!

I have a 5.0 fox body..its a daily driver..should I go twin turbo our supercharged??
89 Foxloco is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-19-2011, 09:20 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular
Supporter

Region: Louisiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by 89 Foxloco
I have a 5.0 fox body..its a daily driver..should I go twin turbo our supercharged??
A supercharger would probably be better suited for your car. Both are streetable but twin turbo is a bit overkill on a stock block. Which supercharger do you have in mind?

93 GT with more junkyard mods than you can imagine.
90 GT bone stock down to the air filter, awaiting restoration.
Join Mustang Evolution today. Click here
93slowstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 09:38 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Michigan
Send a message via Yahoo to drusmith
Re: Twin turbo our supercharged!!!

MUST GO WITH TURBO!!!! Much more efficient then S.C. I have Kenne Bell and wish I had Turbo! Here are some links to give you an idea!
KB Cobra vs Turbo Fox body - YouTube
turbo fox body - YouTube
drusmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-19-2011, 10:15 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

Region: Alabama
Send a message via AIM to SpectorV

you dont need two turbos, two is not always better than one. The correctly setup single turbo can make all the power you will want.
2003 Cobra Vert (Redfire) #3938 of 5082 @ 05/27/2003
472rwhp/493rwtq -Modification List - Dyno Sheet
2012 Mustang 3.7L M6 (Kona Blue)
2011 Ford Edge Sport (Red Metallic)
SpectorV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 11:14 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 93slowstang

A supercharger would probably be better suited for your car. Both are streetable but twin turbo is a bit overkill on a stock block. Which supercharger do you have in mind?
The kennel bell..
Old 09-19-2011, 11:21 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Single turbo! Not need for twin. SpectorV is right. I have 2 good friends with 96 GT turbo and they keep up with me with stock block.
Old 09-19-2011, 11:30 AM   #7
Road Trip!
Supporter

Region: Missouri

Quote:
Originally Posted by 89 Foxloco View Post
The kennel bell..
The Kenne Bell is a good choice and will provide you with plenty of power down in the rpm ranges where you will be driving it the most.
Trojan Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 12:09 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Single Turbo: best, fastest and most efficient way to gain power that is safe! Enough said! I have seen to many other Mustangs that have done both ways and the best way to go is TURBO! I have a Kenne Bell, trust me you want turbo. Even on the 03-04 Cobras out there with single turbo that put down 100+ more hp then me. The torque gains will be ridiculous!
Old 09-19-2011, 12:23 PM   #9
Road Trip!
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by drusmith View Post
Single Turbo: best, fastest and most efficient way to gain power that is safe! Enough said! I have seen to many other Mustangs that have done both ways and the best way to go is TURBO! I have a Kenne Bell, trust me you want turbo. Even on the 03-04 Cobras out there with single turbo that put down 100+ more hp then me. The torque gains will be ridiculous!
True...IF you have an engine that is built to withstand the added power.
His is not, so why spend all that extra money for parts you can't get the full benefit from?
He would have to build a completely new engine with an aftermarket 4 bolt main block and all forged internals to reap the full benefits of a turbo.

Plus the Turbo power is mid to upper rpm range at best and just how often can you even use that on the street?

He will be much better off and happier with the Kenne Bell.
Old 09-19-2011, 12:32 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trojan Horse View Post
True...IF you have an engine that is built to withstand the added power.
His is not, so why spend all that extra money for parts you can't get the full benefit from?
He would have to build a completely new engine with an aftermarket 4 bolt main block and all forged internals to reap the full benefits of a turbo.

Plus the Turbo power is mid to upper rpm range at best and just how often can you even use that on the street?

He will be much better off and happier with the Kenne Bell.
I have Kenne Bell! I also have raced a few of my buddies Turbo GT with stock block! Fricken sick how fat they are. Keep right up with me. I have sen it in real life and I would go with Turbo over SC any day On any car or truck! Cost is about the same if you do it correctly!
Old 09-19-2011, 12:58 PM   #11
Road Trip!
Supporter

Quote:
I have Kenne Bell! I also have raced a few of my buddies Turbo GT with stock block! Fricken sick how fat they are. Keep right up with me. I have sen it in real life and I would go with Turbo over SC any day On any car or truck! Cost is about the same if you do it correctly!
Something in the equation doesn't add up then.
If you are at 590 rwhp and they are keeping up then they must be close to the same HP, which is a very dangerous level for a stock block 5.0.
They just won't live long at that level without doing some serious block strengthening and saying your prayers regularly.
So what's their secret?
Old 09-19-2011, 01:16 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

That is exactly it! It is dangerous levels but it works go for both of them. Plus they kinda plan on rebuilding the block once they blow. They keep up because they are 250lbs lighter, I am 4010lbs with me in my car. Verts are extra heavy! The one is running 484rwhp with 568rwt.
Old 09-19-2011, 01:30 PM   #13
Road Trip!

Region: Texas

TURBO!

A turbo is going to make power easier. It doesn't rob power to make power. It is also easier on the engine and the drive train.
wnt2gofst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 01:51 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by wnt2gofst View Post
TURBO!

A turbo is going to make power easier. It doesn't rob power to make power. It is also easier on the engine and the drive train.
Yes thank you!
Old 09-19-2011, 01:57 PM   #15
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

Region: Alabama
Send a message via AIM to SpectorV

as said above it might be cheaper for the first step to be building the motor with better internals/heads/intake/cam etc the end result would be great power and you could build it boost friendly for a turbo in the next go around.

The advantages with a built motor would be... you get a new fresh motor and it puts out good power and is strong (when built right of course). Cost would be high but probably not any higher than a single turbo kit.
2003 Cobra Vert (Redfire) #3938 of 5082 @ 05/27/2003
472rwhp/493rwtq -Modification List - Dyno Sheet
2012 Mustang 3.7L M6 (Kona Blue)
2011 Ford Edge Sport (Red Metallic)
SpectorV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 02:11 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Good point Spec!
Old 09-19-2011, 02:42 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Ya I went supercharged v3 vortech tell u next week when I tune it if I regret it but i already wana build a turbo stang next project lol there both good for what they are
Fox5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 02:52 PM   #18
Filibuster

Region: Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpectorV
as said above it might be cheaper for the first step to be building the motor with better internals/heads/intake/cam etc the end result would be great power and you could build it boost friendly for a turbo in the next go around.

The advantages with a built motor would be... you get a new fresh motor and it puts out good power and is strong (when built right of course). Cost would be high but probably not any higher than a single turbo kit.
I agree with this...im planing on buying a new block by next year and knowing its stronger then my stock block,and can handle much more punishment is where I would start!...
XXSTEVEO66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 04:14 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox5.0
Ya I went supercharged v3 vortech tell u next week when I tune it if I regret it but i already wana build a turbo stang next project lol there both good for what they are
Let me know..I will seriously appreciat it...
Old 09-19-2011, 04:41 PM   #20
Road Trip!
Supporter

Quote:
That is exactly it! It is dangerous levels but it works go for both of them. Plus they kinda plan on rebuilding the block once they blow. They keep up because they are 250lbs lighter, I am 4010lbs with me in my car. Verts are extra heavy! The one is running 484rwhp with 568rwt.
Ok, I can understand that, but tell them to plan on not using their stock blocks after they let go.
I have first hand seen the damage from an identical scenario.
It split the block down the middle and tore up everything else so badly that nothing was usable from the engine.
Not to say that all failure will be the same, but chances are....
Old 09-19-2011, 04:56 PM   #21
Road Trip!
Supporter

Quote:
TURBO!

Most of what you say is true, except that "a turbo doesn't rob power to make power".
There are some parasitic power losses from the exhaust restriction caused by installing a turbocharger and interupting the exhaust flow, they are just considerably less than those caused by a belt driven supercharger.
If there were no losses, then we would have a perpetual motion machine once it was started. So far that concept has proven to be unattainable.
Old 09-19-2011, 05:09 PM   #22
Road Trip!

Region: Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trojan Horse

Most of what you say is true, except that "a turbo doesn't rob power to make power".
There are some parasitic power losses from the exhaust restriction caused by installing a turbocharger and interupting the exhaust flow, they are just considerably less than those caused by a belt driven supercharger.
If there were no losses, then we would have a perpetual motion machine once it was started. So far that concept has proven to be unattainable.
Very true.I wanna say I heard that a regular motor is about only 30% efficient.
dreamstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 05:59 PM   #23
Road Trip!

Region: California
A tune increases that doesn't it?
16218 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 08:34 PM   #24
Road Trip!
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drodriguez2009 View Post
A tune increases that doesn't it?
Anything you can do to get more power or better fuel mileage increases the efficiency of the engine.
Old 10-03-2011, 07:23 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kentucky
Turbo will draw no power like a supercharger and if u get the right size turn it will have very. Little lag and turbo sounds assume
2.3turboford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 07:30 PM   #26
Road Trip!

Region: Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trojan Horse View Post
Below

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2.3turboford View Post
Turbo will draw no power like a supercharger and if u get the right size turn it will have very. Little lag and turbo sounds assume
The turbo runs off exhaust really. So it is not robbing nearly as much power as a Supercharger that is driven by a belt that is ultimately on the crank. Which is now working harder to turn the SC. Since it take a lot to spin that supercharger. Where as it takes really nothing to spin that turbo. hence why the turbo makes more power per lb of boost. 6psi on the engine nest say 80whp gain with a SC but 6psi on the turbo net 120whp gain.

This is why two cars with only mods being SC and turbo the turbo one is faster. They can run the same boost. the Turbo will always be faster. That being SC = size to the turbo.
wnt2gofst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 08:12 PM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kentucky
Ok yeah I see now I'm only 15 though
2.3turboford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 07:37 AM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Below

The turbo runs off exhaust really. So it is not robbing nearly as much power as a Supercharger that is driven by a belt that is ultimately on the crank. Which is now working harder to turn the SC. Since it take a lot to spin that supercharger. Where as it takes really nothing to spin that turbo. hence why the turbo makes more power per lb of boost. 6psi on the engine nest say 80whp gain with a SC but 6psi on the turbo net 120whp gain.

This is why two cars with only mods being SC and turbo the turbo one is faster. They can run the same boost. the Turbo will always be faster. That being SC = size to the turbo.
You are so right! Turbo is much better! I have experience this first hand!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT